Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 9316 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Melbourne are sitting pretty at the top of the ladder, and we are not.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #1
Petracca copped a big corkie just as the siren went against Sydney, and was limping noticeably post match.  From my corkie experience, he would be in some doubt, and not at 100% even if he does get through.  Wouldn't be surprised if he is 'managed' for next week.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #2
I think we can beat Melbourne, more on the law of averages, they are due for a loss and just fell in for a win vs the Swans IMO.
Brown and McDonald wont present the same problems as Bruce and Naughton plus Oliver is only half the player the Bont is and Cripps owes us a big one. Blues by 16 points, not because we are great but more because Melbourne are getting ahead of themselves, due for a loss and we can defend them better IMO.

Reply #3
I think we can beat Melbourne, more on the law of averages, they are due for a loss and just fell in for a win vs the Swans IMO.
Brown and McDonald wont present the same problems as Bruce and Naughton plus Oliver is only half the player the Bont is and Cripps owes us a big one. Blues by 16 points, not because we are great but more because Melbourne are getting ahead of themselves, due for a loss and we can defend them better IMO.

We play better at the G too

Reply #4

Sometimes you look at the ladder, and you just think to yourself, that its better for the competition if we get up next week.  Brings Melbourne back to the field, and also puts us back into the mid pack.

I think you will see some favourable decisions next week, and if it happens ear mark this post, and remember we are playing in a very, very contrived entertainment industry.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
Sometimes you look at the ladder, and you just think to yourself, that its better for the competition if we get up next week.  Brings Melbourne back to the field, and also puts us back into the mid pack.

I think you will see some favourable decisions next week, and if it happens ear mark this post, and remember we are playing in a very, very contrived entertainment industry.
Agree with that, its also about timing and opportunity too, Dees might think they can rest a player or two, play some fringe types to check them out and get away with it. Petracca copped a knock late and they might rest him, just a few things like that fall your way and you sneak a win.

Reply #6

Not a chance in hell. Gawn will rip pit a new one so our undermanned midfield will be smashed again.
Plus when it does go forward May and lever will be a much harder proposition then the dogs defence.
Then on top of that in the box they now have Choco who would have been perfect for us I will add and he has given them the hard ruthless edge. All while we just keep with the same tried and failed group of
of assistants! Fking joke.
Dees comfortably and we will slump to 3-6. Wish I could be more positive but another failed year coming.

Reply #7
Watched both teams this week and imho Melb will romp home.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Big test for our F50, May and Lever are in serious form.

The Dees F50 has a lot of weapons, not sure we have the structure to deal with that if they get hold of us in the midfield. Oliver usually has a day out against us.

Tough weekend ahead, not sure it means much to lose to these sides. The best we can expect is similar to last weekend, show we can go with them for a period of time at least just proves you have cattle who are capable.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Big test for our F50, May and Lever are in serious form.

The Dees F50 has a lot of weapons, not sure we have the structure to deal with that if they get hold of us in the midfield. Oliver usually has a day out against us.

Tough weekend ahead, not sure it means much to lose to these sides. The best we can expect is similar to last weekend, show we can go with them for a period of time at least just proves you have cattle who are capable.

I think this plays into our hands a little more actually.

We need to lower our eyes and hit better targets, which means that a stronger opposition defense will either force us to kick it differently, or we'll spend all day hitting them up.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
We have had some competitive losses so we are probably due to get flogged.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #11
Had a chuckle at the coaches comment about getting flogged in the middle in the last Q.

Then two mins later when he was quizzed re changes he said that we have plenty of ON BALLERS pushing for selection....

That means the changes this week will be drop young players who don’t play through the middle (stocker,cottrell,newnes) and bring in proven non ON BALLERS such as Murphy and LOB...

MY 5 cents re selection. Why not we are better off playing for the second half of the season...

Outs Williams (managed) Cripps (managed). JSOS (concussion), The Bolt (time is up), Gibbons (struggling)

Ins. TDK, Newman, Dow, Kennedy, Honey and Durdin

AND ANYONE WHO IS OVER 6 ft 2......

None of this will happen, I’m dreaming. Can’t wait till Martin, Fish, Kemp and Charlie are all available.

Reply #12
Both the Doggies and Melbourne have been on a constant path for several years. They got to where they are now by sticking fat and not panicking, putting the pieces of the puzzle together bit by bit. Look at their ladder positions compared to ours, look at their lists compared to ours. They've moved up the ladder, dipped, stagnated, but never deviated.

I'm sorry to say it, but the constant upheavals for us just keeping moving the target further away. It's been one step forwards, two steps back for 20 years.

Reply #13
Same as what I said last week, bring our best for 4 qtrs and we are a chance. We played the second best, this week we play the best, this is what its all about.
I'd like to see a bit of speed added, one or two of Honey, Dow, LOB for Gibbo and Williams (to be "rested" to let him heal from these debilitating "injuries" he has). Maybe he can even heal them in the 2's.
TDK for Levi
Bam Bam for Jack
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #14
Let's face it, we know our list is simply not good enough to get us into the eight. 

By failing to accept that reality the Club risks further injuring players.  We need to rest the likes of Cripps and Williams until they are fit to play, whether in a few weeks time or later in the season.

In the meantime let's sort out who in the seconds is worthy of staying on the list by giving game time to the likes of Dow, Honey, Setterfield, etc.

Several Carlton supporters I have spoken to since the loss to the dogs are ready to give up on Carlton if we continue playing just three quarters of football.  They have simply had a gut full  of broken promises, and going by social media that view is widespread.

We have had twenty years of little green shoots which have been cut down by demoralising losses.  If it continues, membership and general support for the Club must suffer.