Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63005 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #105
He may well, and I know he gives 100% effort, but IMO he's just an average footballer.

He's a bit better than average.

Reply #106
Jones too....we just coughed the ball up repeatedly.

O'Shea - was he playing forward?

Why Kerridge isn't getting a game before Dow, Polson or Cuners staggers me. Terrifies me in fact.

We went into the game with no ruck and 3 players down.

BB - honeymoon is over, you score 1 out of 10 t oday....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #107
That’s what I saw today.  Our lack of depth is really exposed when we cop an injury and/or one of our better players has a quiet day.

Appreciate we lost Kreuzer, Kennedy but our skills and decision making were terrible on and off the ground....players skills were shocking and the coaches tactics /selectors were terrible.
Going in one tall short after losing Kreuzer was a diabolical error...Poulsen was ordinary in the VFL practice game and should not have played.
Bolton's tactics baffle me and he seem devoid of tactical nous when in the heat of battle...Lynch kicking 8 is a blight on the coaching dept not Jones IMO, I was at the game and
the GC forward line was open all the time and gave Jones no hope given the amount of supply.
We looked leaderless and lost today on and off the field...

Reply #108
fair summary EB.

Bolts better start sucking up some of his own learning as today was the effort of a bottom 2 side.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #109
Appreciate we lost Kreuzer, Kennedy but our skills and decision making were terrible on and off the ground....players skills were shocking and the coaches tactics /selectors were terrible.
Going in one tall short after losing Kreuzer was a diabolical error...Poulsen was ordinary in the VFL practice game and should not have played.
Bolton's tactics baffle me and he seem devoid of tactical nous when in the heat of battle...Lynch kicking 8 is a blight on the coaching dept not Jones IMO, I was at the game and
the GC forward line was open all the time and gave Jones no hope given the amount of supply.
We looked leaderless and lost today on and off the field...

Also, they were all over us when we got into our F50 and choked us off time and time again. They seemed to get back so quickly as soon as we got possession.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #110
 went today with expectations of a win.  Terrible and embarrassing. It's been covered, but Polson? Really? No ruck, really?.  When do skill errors become plain lack of skills?  The number of kicks to disadvantage, missed handballs, dropped marks, missed tackles seems very high.

Cute flashy play looks good except when it doesn't work, which is most of the time.

One other thing - get rid of the bounce.  There are to many times it needs to be recalled.

Reply #111
I believed that we would finish 13-16, and I stand by that.

Would you call that progress? You’re easily pleased if you do.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #113
Also, they were all over us when we got into our F50 and choked us off time and time again. They seemed to get back so quickly as soon as we got possession.

They were playing seven in defense causing lots of congestion and ran really hard off half back.

Docherty is a much bigger loss for our team than anyone can realise.

It was the sort of game we needed a big defense splitting presence like Levi (or maybe harry McKay).... Too bad we had him pencilled into the ruck and played weitering forward rather than bringing in a ruckman (Phillips) or perhaps another leading forward (jack Silvagni who?).

the match committee had a few options and took the one least likely to do either of win or develop our youngsters which resulted in nothing but an opportunity lost.

I can forgive not winning.  I hate the fact that we went the recycled untested tactic rather than playing the kids properly.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #114
unfortunately it's reality. Take a side that finished 16th with a percentage of 70, remove two of their best players (Docherty and Gibbs), what do you expect? Especially today with Kreuzer out as well

Reply #115
Did folks notice that a number of times the umpires called for the Carlton ruck to nominate and were left with no response.
I think there was one time when Daisy went to contest and was told to stay out of it.

Reply #116

Yep their Forward line was open and ours was flooded ....they ran harder and knew their roles.
It was terrible to watch and be able to predict what would happen when they had the footy.

Reply #117
That was an epic cluster fck of a game.

Whoever was in charge of team selection wants to be let go immediately.

Half the team was played out of position, no ruck and the INs were awful.

Polson - way off AFL level. Cunningham had a shocker.

O'Shea wasn't great.

Gave that game up.

I think that's a fair summary.  Disappointing but fair  :-\
At a stretch we can consider the increased i50 count as a step fwd in that area. Albeit the entries were often shallow, attempting to hit up a non-existent forward structure.

Bolts and the boys have much work ahead of them. Our selectors have even more work imo. If the pies play like they did today next week, we'll see a replay of the shameful MM 700 era. THAT will not attract players, members, or organizations to the club. Unfortunately I think our injuries are taking a toll that we have no depth to cover.

It will be a painful exercise reviewing the game. The upside is there will be a truckload of learning  :-\
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #118
The death of season 2018.....

Either something massive will change as a result of today's debacle or the death of Bolton too (as a coach).

Today's limp effort was not a function of no Kreuzer...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #119
 armbands- one was for Ken Hands and the other for a previous coach (can't remember ago they said)