Skip to main content
Topic: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger !! (Read 5055 times) previous topic - next topic

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger !!

I’ve spent the past 24-hours reflecting on the last two games (Brisbane & Geelong) and no matter which way I look at it, I’M GODDAM ANGRY !!!!

I’m angry that we have come away with two losses when we had both games well in our grasp. Good teams don’t squander 3-goal leads late in a game to lose. Against Brisbane we did not score again after we got to a game high lead in the last, against the Cats we kicked one goal after we hit that good lead. Players cannot just turn off and think to themselves “the job is done, I can coast now”, they should be working even harder to protect that lead and guarantee the win.   

Our last quarters are just not enjoyable to watch anymore to such an extent that there must be a whole fleet of supporters who now go on suicide watch once that siren blows to start the last quarter. They are so nail-biting that I’m waiting for the Carlton Shop to start selling defibrillators, anti-anxiety pills & stress balls via mail order soon. 

I’m also angry that we keep letting the opposition score multiple goals in red-time, it is a trait of our team and the opposition know it as well. In two games decided by less than a goal, all we had to do was ice the clock in any one of the time-on periods and we would of gone on to win. However, we always go into cruise-mode just prior to a break, it’s unforgivable and unacceptable.

I’m also angry with the yo-yo attitude, form & application that our players have offered up this season. There is no doubt in my mind that in the first four rounds of 2014, had we of played with the same level of intensity as we did last night against Geelong, we probably would of won 3 of those matches as a minimum. Even in the matches we have won this year, there has always been one very poor quarter, one average quarter to go with two very good ones. No supporter can sustain any sort of confidence and enjoyment when they do not know which team is going to turn up to the match, is it the “rampaging bulldozers” or the “mamby-pamby softcocks” this week ??

Regardless of my anger and the measures I’m using to get it to subside (yoga, meditation, kahuna massage & naked harem girls), I am also looking at the upside to this very tiresome and thoroughly draining saga.

Some of these matches have been played under immense pressure and it has clearly shown who can, and who can’t, handle that pressure. For us to progress back up the ladder and be a regular challenger for the premiership, we need a solid list of players who can mentally handle it and the spotlight (or blowtorch) is now going to be put on the ones who are lagging behind. There is every chance they will not be there next year, only the strong will survive going forward. I’m not going to get into listing who and why right now (you already know my thoughts on the matter) but there is now some very obvious choices as we all see the same things in matches. This will make a difference in the long run.

All that I have listed above can be rectified with intense training, meditation, clever drafting & shrewd trading but there is one area that we have no control over and it REALLY REALLY REALLY has me angry, more so than the other issues.

In both of these matches, we have been dudded badly by umpiring decisions that clearly were wrong.

No if’s, no but’s and no maybe’s, they were just wrong decisions and yes, they cost us each match. I do not like to pot the umpires like this as I know how hard a job it is but when they cannot maintain a level of consistency with their interpretation of the rules, I cannot sit in silence. To further reinforce that it’s not just us looking at this through our rusted on navy-blue glasses, I keep reading opposition supporters on the net sympathising with us and highlighting incidents that they believed were simply wrong and we were basically cheated out of the match. It’s one thing to get “the rub of the green’, it’s another thing to get “the sh1tty end of the pineapple” - Wayne Campbell, I’m talking to you directly now !!!

Yes I’m angry, yes I’m bitter & twisted, yes I’m exasperated but bugger this, I’m not going to let those clowns beat me. 

It’s time to use this setback as a catalyst to win against the odds and do as Teddy Whitten would say, we have to “stick it up ém”, we need to really "stick fat" more than ever.

It’s time for an “Us Against Them” type of siege mentality.

Draw the line in the sand now, it’s time to start the resurgence, step by step, game by game, season by season.

I want that elusive 17th premiership and I’m fooked if I’m going to sit by and let those punks in head office dick us around with dodgy umpiring and stop us from getting it. 

Rise up Blues fans, rise up as one and remember “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog”.

This old camel-dog has plenty more left in the tank ……………………………………………. are you with me ??

WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF !!!!  
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger !!

Reply #1
That post is waaaaaaay too long to read, please summarise it......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #2
Was thinking the same thing!

Reply #4
Nice post Sheik.

Like you I'm angry but optimistic.

I said at the start of the year what I wanted and that was, competitive efforts against the big guns Geelong, Hawks, Pies, Sydney, Freo, and now Port.

I think we play all these guys in the remaining games.

Frankly I'm sick of relying on our annual Richmond cook-out. It's simply not enough.

MM mistakes in failing to have the team prepped for the start of the season notwithstanding, we have the opportunity to put in big hearted efforts against the best in the business and I'm hopeful that we can make some fundamental improvements.

it's one of the reasons i had hoped we'd beat the easy beats sides because then we might not take the easy option and send people in for surgery and effectively give the season away.

The positive signs in the Cats game was that we came back from 4 goals down.

Who on this site thought we'd roll over and get bunted in the behind after that? I sure did, but they didn't, they kept fighting and we should have got the chockies.

So, this is MM's challenge. Show that your capable of turning, what is now considered an average list, into a hungry competitive unit.

Starts this week on the big stage against the reigning premiers and the side that always makes us look second rate.

Are you good enough Mick?
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #5
Same old, same old.....how many is it now vs Geelong we have lost....
Brisbane..we were always going to lose that one and I had a bad feeling about that game.

I think we are due and will beat Hawthorn....they have a few players out down back and Mitchell isnt there to get his usual 30+
so I am tipping the Blues..not because I think we are that great but like Brisbane we are due and the Hawks are ripe for the picking.

Reply #6
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #7
What CIMM said.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
We are so many years past a line in the sand game.

We have drawn and re drawn that line over and over again.  Our trouble is that we don't stick with it, we draw that line and then fall back into old habits of coughing it up just when we thought we are done with that.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Brisbane..we were always going to lose that one and I had a bad feeling about that game.

I think we are due and will beat Hawthorn....they have a few players out down back and Mitchell isnt there to get his usual 30+
so I am tipping the Blues..not because I think we are that great but like Brisbane we are due and the Hawks are ripe for the picking.

Not a snowflakes against the Hawks EB. The Geelong game was our chance at redemption and we nearly pulled it off. Starting line against the Hawks will be 45 points IMO.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #10

Not a snowflakes against the Hawks EB. The Geelong game was our chance at redemption and we nearly pulled it off. Starting line against the Hawks will be 45 points IMO.

I was feeling optimistic until someone said Doc and Jammo both have calf probs.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #11

I was feeling optimistic until someone said Doc and Jammo both have calf probs.

Mate I'm heading to Thailand Friday night and I'm sure it will be an escape from a brutal reality.
IN WADA WE TRUST