Skip to main content
Topic: Watson-Positional switch paying off (Read 23978 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Watson-Positional switch paying off

Reply #45
ben reid played 4yrs in reserve,i reckon we give him the next 6weeks to show something plus his contracted for 2015.

Reply #46
Maybe we should give him one last run. But I reckon even if you boil him, fry him or bake him - he's still a spud.

Reply #47
Maybe we should give him one last run. But I reckon even if you boil him, fry him or bake him - he's still a spud.

Just don't play him this week on Scott Thompson for God's sake.

Reply #48
ben reid played 4yrs in reserve,i reckon we give him the next 6weeks to show something plus his contracted for 2015.

Well said Mina !!

We have absolutely nothing to lose by playing him, besides, Hendo is not far away from going in for surgery so Watson will certainly be needed in the team sooner or later.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #49
Realistically, I would say that if we could get a good trade for him, then we should consider it, but if all we could get was another spud or if we were going to delist him, then we should see if he could be developed further as a forward.
We've put too much effort in to let him go for nothing while he is still contracted.

Reply #50
Until this year Watson hadn't really played a bad game in the seniors, actually alot better than he player for the NB's, and did show some promise (the two games this year have admittedly been shockers). Hopefully a run up forward will uncover something. Nothing to lose as we're not over endowed with KP stocks.

Reply #51
Until this year Watson hadn't really played a bad game in the seniors, actually alot better than he player for the NB's, and did show some promise (the two games this year have admittedly been shockers). Hopefully a run up forward will uncover something. Nothing to lose as we're not over endowed with KP stocks.

I agree and in retrospect, if I recall correctly, we learned after the games that his bad games were related to foot or leg injuries being carried so hardly a fair assessment for a bloke with a dozen or so games under his belt.

Why he performs better in the 1s than the 2s is a mystery, but he does without doubt, and we need to be happy with that!

As a defender he reminds me of a young Lake or Scarlett, they used those similar quick chip kicks barely collecting the ball before disposing of it. Those very actions show that he has good vision and situational awareness even if he isn't as swift or agile. I found when he actually commits to go he has good closing speed, but often he appears to be indecisive which makes any player look slow or lazy.

I'd like to see Kreuzer, Casboult and Watson in the one side without Warnock. They are all 200cm types who can, if well coached, play a role in both ruck and KP play. Casboult has really improved in the ruck this year, not in regards to taps but in regards to recovery and 2nd efforts, he has the ability to make opposition mid fielders hesitant(Like Kreuzer does), which is something Warnock rarely does.

You don't have to win heaps of taps to be a great ruckmen, look at Mumford and Pyke. They concentrate of nullifying the ruck opponent then tackling opposition mids or blocking for team-mates in the recovery phase. Stuff I think is more valuable than taps.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52

That's my thinking also. We have nothing to lose and who knows he might surprise.

Reply #53

That's my thinking also. We have nothing to lose and who knows he might surprise.

Watson could be the competitions next Josh Jenkins, EFC will regret trading that kid, we don't want Watson to leave until we are certain about his fate!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
Many people had both Levi and Rowe written off, not that long ago. It would be madness not to thoroughly explore all options for Watson. OK, we know he's not a defender.

Casboult and Rowe wouldn't get a game in a good side, the fact that we're booming them up as success stories just shows how far off the pace we are.
Watson's no good, apart from his obvious physical limitations he doesn't have the temperament for AFL football.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #55
Many people had both Levi and Rowe written off, not that long ago. It would be madness not to thoroughly explore all options for Watson. OK, we know he's not a defender.

Casboult and Rowe wouldn't get a game in a good side, the fact that we're booming them up as success stories just shows how far off the pace we are.
Watson's no good, apart from his obvious physical limitations he doesn't have the temperament for AFL football.

Neither would Laider...oh wait!

I'm guessing Casboult would get a game in a few sides on current form. That would include Hawthorn (with Buddy gone), Geelong, Freo and Collingwood. Like Laider, would probably play better in another side too.

Reply #56

I'm guessing Casboult would get a game in a few sides on current form. That would include Hawthorn (with Buddy gone), Geelong, Freo and Collingwood.

You're dreaming, he'd be lucky to get a game with Box Hill, let alone Hawthorn.
Who do you reckon Hawthorn would drop to fit him in, Roughead or Gunston?
It's sad that we have to hang all our hopes on second raters, that's what a decade of failure does I guess.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #57

I'm guessing Casboult would get a game in a few sides on current form. That would include Hawthorn (with Buddy gone), Geelong, Freo and Collingwood.

You're dreaming, he'd be lucky to get a game with Box Hill, let alone Hawthorn.
Who do you reckon Hawthorn would drop to fit him in, Roughead or Gunston?
It's sad that we have to hang all our hopes on second raters, that's what a decade of failure does I guess.

You hang your hopes on who you've got until something better comes along. You have to try all options and combinations available to you from the list you have. You never know what you might be able to come up with. What's the point in not doing that - that sounds like quitting to me?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #58

Neither would Laider...oh wait!

I'm guessing Casboult would get a game in a few sides on current form. That would include Hawthorn (with Buddy gone), Geelong, Freo and Collingwood. Like Laider, would probably play better in another side too.

Truth is we don't know what teams think of a player and how well they would go.

Nic Davis
Matt Clape

Premiership players that MM let go.

I would bet a sizeable sum that Freo would pay overs for Casboult because he's exactly what they need.

They have (or will have) the best small forward line in the game soon. Mayne, Ballantyne and Walters would clean up everything that Casboult doesn't mark.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #59
Getting off topic with the Casboult chat... But I had written him off but am happy to admit I have now given him another chance.
I wont go as far as to say he has arrived so to speak, but he has shown some improvement in his kicking and also in his speed and tank. I still think he doesn't look overly confident in his kicking, but if he continues to get a few through the big sticks, he may turn that around.
The kicking definitely needs to continue to improve though. There's not much point having a forward who clunks marks all around the ground but cant convert.