Skip to main content
Topic: Watson-Positional switch paying off (Read 23856 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Watson-Positional switch paying off

Reply #60

You hang your hopes on who you've got until something better comes along. You have to try all options and combinations available to you from the list you have. You never know what you might be able to come up with. What's the point in not doing that - that sounds like quitting to me?

I agree completely Cookie, at this stage of the journey Casboult is the best prospect we've got, but I'm not going to get involved in the group hug.
I've seen a lot of good footballers in my time and he's not one of them, neither is Watson.
A few years ago this board was in raptures over Shaun Hampson and his unlimited potential, he was last seen in the VFL.
I'll front up on Friday night and cheer for the boys, and I hope Levi kicks a bag.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #61
I think with Levi, the potential is definitely there. Get him into a team with a decent culture, a decent forward coach, give him a full pre season to get his kicking sorted - his stocks would rise considerably methinks. But at this point, you don't want him kicking for goal more than 10m out.

Reply #62
But at this point, you don't want him kicking for goal more than 10m out.

Actually, we may find his accuracy / reliability is about the same from 10m or 60m. So given he is one of only a couple on our list who can kick almost 60m why not put him at CHF so he doesn't blow gimmes from within the goal square!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
Opposition supporters rate Casboult far more highly than most on here do, from my experience.

He is an elite mark, he busts packs and you can see his team mates walking a little taller when he's around. He's a huge physical presence, and his kicking has actually improved considerably already.

You'd have to be a lunatic to trade him or let him go after we've put so much into his development. He's only just become an AFL standard player and most clubs would jump at a chance to sign him.

Watson, on the other hand, just doesn't seem to have the fire in the belly to make it as an AFL footballer. He doesn't have the intensity required, even though he has plenty of the physical attributes. It's a shame as he definitely has a lethal hoof on him, but it's not enough by itself.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #64
Watson, on the other hand, just doesn't seem to have the fire in the belly to make it as an AFL footballer. He doesn't have the intensity required, even though he has plenty of the physical attributes. It's a shame as he definitely has a lethal hoof on him, but it's not enough by itself.

I am pleasantly surprised by Casboult, and glad he is on the way to proving me wrong if he consistently improves. I hope this isn't one of those bursts before the contract type scenarios some players put out for the dollars.

But in terms of Casboult's v Watson early days I cannot find a significant difference between them. I'd even say some of Watson's early 1s games surpassed Casboult's and by some margin.  So I won't be throwing Watson out with the bath water, especially with Waite about to retire. ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65

I am pleasantly surprised by Casboult, and glad he is on the way to proving me wrong if he consistently improves. I hope this isn't one of those bursts before the contract type scenarios some players put out for the dollars.

But in terms of Casboult's v Watson early days I cannot find a significant difference between them. I'd even say some of Watson's early 1s games surpassed Casboult's and by some margin.  So I won't be throwing Watson out with the bath water, especially with Waite about to retire. ;)

Can certainly respect that stance and I agree that Watson has played some solid games earlier in his career, but I still maintain that was more to do with the fact that he's actually got talent than anything else. I don't doubt Watson's talent at all, I question his attitude and application. As I said, he doesn't appear to have the hunger or desire to be a top line player (at least for us) and is playing like he is just going through the motions.

Reply #66
Can certainly respect that stance and I agree that Watson has played some solid games earlier in his career, but I still maintain that was more to do with the fact that he's actually got talent than anything else. I don't doubt Watson's talent at all, I question his attitude and application. As I said, he doesn't appear to have the hunger or desire to be a top line player (at least for us) and is playing like he is just going through the motions.

This was exactly the sort of criticism leveled at Casboult early on, which is why I see the similarities.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67

If true he won't be given a meaningful run by MM from what we've heard.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #68

He is one of the few 2s players that gets a regular mention by MM, but I concede that may be the salesmen in MM hard at work!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69

It's good for a person to admit their mistakes, even better to learn from them. Been there before myself! :P

I agree BTW.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #70
It's good for a person to admit their mistakes, even better to learn from them. Been there before myself! :P

I agree BTW.

There a long way to go yet, Meat could turn into another Sammy before this season over! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71

I agree BTW.

Once again, I'd love to be proven wrong. Key position players don't grow on trees and if Watson can turn into a gun FF/CHF for us, that'd be an outstanding result.

Unfortunately, I just see the areas him lacking in to be areas that you can't really train into someone. You can teach someone to kick better or even to run to better positions, but you can't teach them to want to be gun footballers. It's a desire issue that I have with Watson, in that I'm just yet to really see him display that true hunger to be amazing. He's certainly got the skills and the size to be outstanding, it's all down to his application and desire.

He reminds me a bit of Adrian De Luca in that regard.

Reply #72
Casboult was fat, looked lazy and look disinterested, timid and precious for almost four years! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73

He is one of the few 2s players that gets a regular mention by MM, but I concede that may be the salesmen in MM hard at work!

He's of the type we are short of so I guess MM would love him to come good - I agree it's probably his way of either encouraging him or promoting him to other clubs.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #74
@Nathbear

I agree hunger is lacking. Needs to show some emotion, play like he really cares and it really means something to him. I just wonder how much he hated Carlton before he came.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!