Skip to main content
Topic: R23 - Carlton v Essendon (Before & During The Game) (Read 35243 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R23 - Carlton v Essendon (Before the Game Bash-up)

Reply #60
Who are you talking to?

He didn't play the kids by choice, that's all that was left. Let's not give him credit for something he didn't do.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #61
Absolutely stupid decision to drop the three youngsters. Armfield, like his hair is cr@p. In fact I have always said that he was cr@p. For every good thing he ever did in a game, he counteracted that by making 10 errors. Brock can't run, and his decision making in the last 10 games when he has played has been disgraceful. Watson, well I never thought I'd say this, but he makes Sam Rowe AT HIS WORST, look like a champion.

Yes, I agree that Rowe has improved somewhat. he still lacks mongrel, and he still stops dead after he either takes a mark or has gone for the ball and has missed it. It's as if his brain can't get into gear enough to tell him what to do next. Watch him this week and you will see what I mean.

It may not appear so, but I would love us to beat the cheats. But when weighing up whether I want to win, or play the young blokes, I'd go for the young blokes every time.

And lets be very honest here. Does anyone really believe that the three inclusions are going to be the difference between a win or a loss?

Reply #62
Are you guys for real ? Should we be just be gifting games to players just because they re kids ?

Agreed, when you stop picking teams to win games you may as well run up the white flag, tanking is for other clubs.
The three that got dropped were all poor last week, if they had some good form in the bank they might have hung on but they didn't.

Why have any kids on the list then? Swap them out for players in their late 20s who are going to perform better in the short term.

There's a big difference between having a lot of kids on the list and having kids on the list who will develop into AFL footballers.
If kids are showing plenty in the VFL and take their chance when given a go at senior level then they will stay in the senior team, which is why Sheehan is still in the side.
Holman showed squat, Johnson played a reasonable game against the wooden spooners but has shown nothing since, Graham has shown a bit but not enough.
There are more players who play less than 50 games than more.

Too early to tell anything with Holman. We simply can't comment there. Same with Graham. Graham looks like he'll be decent eventually as will Cripps.

I'll be interested in Watson up forward tomorrow. He actually looked the part in the VFL last week as a forward, way better than as a defender, both on the lead and in one on one body contests. Got 3.1 (behind was a crap miss) from the most limited opportunities  that one could possibly imagine. Hopefully can do that in the AFL too.

Reply #63
We may need Watson playing forward next year if Waite goes so that's possibly why he's getting the call up?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #64
We may need Watson playing forward next year if Waite goes so that's possibly why he's getting the call up?
Yes, I think so too.

We need to get Kristian Jaksch if we can.

Reply #65
OK then.... Lets put up a non AFL ready midfield of Graham, Hollman, Cripps etc against Watson, Heppell etc, get belted by 100 points again, and say, 'well done lads, you re developing well!! That tactic is worked so well for Melbourne.

Reply #66
No I understand with the other two Dom, TBH I don't think Johnson has shown that much and he looked spent in the second term last week but Graham is ready to develop in the seniors and Mick has been a class A prick to him all season starting him as sub then dropping him a good 3-4 times. To again drop him for Armfield who was woeful vs the Cats makes no sense. He hasn't played Armfield all year and now he wants him in for the last game at the expense of a bloke who has shown he may have what it takes. It's just a load of bulltish to me. Of course there could be a few late withdrawals but if there's not I call BS on the whole thing.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #67
Wouldn't ve minded one last look at Cripps instead of Armfield to be honest.

Reply #68
Do we really believe the kids were the issue in the 100 point belting and that the inclusion of McLean and Army would have made a lick of difference to that result?

What do we want? Graham, Holman, et al having 40 games between them in a year or two's where they've played together or Brock and co getting them and then getting delisted so we have nothing to show for it. We're percentage out of the bottom four if anyone has noticed

Coach... Contract..

Reply #69
If it wasn't for the fact that it's Essendon the game wouldn't really mean much.
but it would be great to send them into the finals with a negative result.

It would be nice to think our players would feel the same but it's hard to know whether they feel the rivalry as much as the supporters do.
A lot of the reason for the hatred of things black and red stems from before this playing list was assembled.
It's been a long year, players will be looking forward to the rest ,and the selections shouldn't make much of a difference.
One game for players like Holman, Johnson,and Graham isn't going to make or break them.They've all had a bit of a taste this year
There will be plenty of time for lessons and opportunities in 2015.

Reply #70
Strange decision to play Armfield and Broke.   Graham and Cripps should be playing this game

Reply #71
Well at least Graham should have been retained.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Brock is a last minute withdrawal.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #72
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2014-08-29/cfc-tv-from-the-vault-fevs-clinic

The day Fevalenko flicked the switch! Ahhhh those were the days! Come on Blues, fire up !
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #73
OK then.... Lets put up a non AFL ready midfield of Graham, Hollman, Cripps etc against Watson, Heppell etc, get belted by 100 points again, and say, 'well done lads, you re developing well!! That tactic is worked so well for Melbourne.

Dom...Heppell has a bung hand, Goddard isnt fit and I am not sure if Watson will be knocking himself out in the last game before the finals after being injured for so long...more ideal conditions than most games.

Armfield is only a good VFL player and was hopeless last time he played.....hit the opposition more times than he hit our players
Watson is non AFL ready given his last game which bordered on  being embarrassing for him and everyone who viewed what was train wreck in terms of performance.
Brock must be the only sub I have seen who was subbed on who couldnt keep up with the opposing players who had played the 100 minutes.....

This game doesnt mean much to us and I reckon would have less heat on it than most Carl vs Ess games.....reckon its the ideal time to blood young players and have them learn..

Reply #74
You're contradicting yourself B4L. No way Armfield has shown more than Graham, he was hopeless when he came on as sub vs the Cats. Gave us zilch.

Graham was ineffective, Armfield was the best of a sorry lot in the VFL last weekend.
I said before I can't understand how he got picked, but I can understand how the three young blokes got dropped.
The cupboard is pretty bare at the moment.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.