Skip to main content
Topic: Watsons Fresh Start (Read 9122 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Watsons Fresh Start

Reply #1
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-02-01/watsons-fresh-start

The spots for forward positions will be tough.
He has a bit of competition.
Make or break year for Watson.
Really looking forward to seeing if he can take that form from the end of 2014 into the new season.

Will be between him and the Boult I reckon.

Reply #2
Saw this. I think it's just another cop out media piece of fluff from our club. "Oh that's why he has been struggling to get a game........".

Never been so uninterested in an off season before not sure if its because I'm pessimistic about our chances or sick of talk and just wanting to see more walk.

Reply #3
Watson was clearly down on confidence last season and it is disappointing that he appears to have been left to his own devices to sort it out.  I'm not suggesting that he should have been given games to boost his confidence, more that he should have had help to improve his confidence and, if deserving, the games would have come.

It is apparent that he is now considered to be a forward and, if his last game is any guide, he has to be in the mix.  However, Marc Murphy has joined the chorus pumping up Liam Jones' tyres and, with so much attention focused on Jones, I suspect that he may have gained an edge over Watson.

I'm certainly not convinced that either will have a great impact as a key forward but it's good to know that both are having a crack.  At the very least we will have some key forward depth.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
I just love the fact we are starting to build a list where there are blokes fighting for similar spots. And its right across the ground now, def, mids, fwd and rucks.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
The club certainly is going out of its way to pump up Jone's tyres but I think Watson could be a dark horse in our forward set up.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
Saw this. I think it's just another cop out media piece of fluff from our club. "Oh that's why he has been struggling to get a game........".

Never been so uninterested in an off season before not sure if its because I'm pessimistic about our chances or sick of talk and just wanting to see more walk.
In order to preserve our sanity, I suggest we accept that this time of year is always full of positive spin as the club is looking to maintain and grow sponsorship and membership numbers, lord knows we can't rely on our 2014 performance to do this for us. A positive environment is critical for success and for those of us who are already on board should encourage this while we wait for the season to start when we can ultimately measure any improvement we've made.
Personally I look forward to the days when I have no interest in the off season at all because I'm confident that we are back on track on field and the club has everything under control off-field......which is probably how Hawthorn supporters fel at this time of year.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #7
I just love the fact we are starting to build a list where there are blokes fighting for similar spots. And its right across the ground now, def, mids, fwd and rucks.

This is a big plus. Something we haven't had for a lot of years.
The list is starting look like somebody is putting a lot more thought into these days.
 Far from a done deal yet but it is happening.

Watson putting his hand up at last adds to that pressure for positions.
A few of us are putting a lot of faith on his performance in that last game of the 2014 season, so he still has a long way to go before I'm convinced yet.
But, at least he's in there having a good crack at it.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #8
But we are all fighting for spots because no one is a standout, not because we are laden with talent.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
But we are all fighting for spots because no one is a standout, not because we are laden with talent.

It means that we should get the best out of what we have which is all you can ask. Just how good that is ...is something we will learn over the coming months.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10
Four years on the list and we're talking about a fresh start?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #11
Cant get enthused about Watson and reckon he will be traded out at years end....not good enough below his knee's and I have Casboult ahead of him and the new boy
Jones has a three deal which puts Watson under pressure to perform and I dont see him prospering unless we get some major injuries...

Reply #12
Cant get enthused about Watson and reckon he will be traded out at years end....not good enough below his knee's and I have Casboult ahead of him and the new boy
Jones has a three deal which puts Watson under pressure to perform and I dont him prospering unless we get some major injuries...

And major injuries are always on the cards. There's more to managing a list than having 22 players.
Depth is a major part of the list and this is where Watson is likely to be in 2015.
 We will have injuries and he will get chances. Then it's all up to him.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #13
It was often opined on these boards that Russell was "high maintenance", and thus placed in the "too hard for not enough return  basket".  The AFL isn't an environment for those lacking self belief and confidence.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #14
We had great hopes for Watson he is such a nice big edition.
Perhaps he was thrown in the deep end, trying to out muscle Cloke - he did not have a chance.
Watching him in the Twos, sometimes I thought he lacked application.  We will have to see,
Carlton have kept faith in him
and now he is 'of age' perhaps he will find his mojo.
the team mates seem to like him,
Let's hope he has a good year,
'London or the bush' for him
I hope he has a great 2015 and repays all the investment