Skip to main content
Topic: What is wrong with Carlton (Read 18913 times) previous topic - next topic

What is wrong with Carlton

Hey guys!! So I haven't been on this forum for a long time now, and I apologise if a thread of a similar sort has already been started.

After watching only one game (round 1) and being 3 rounds in I am claiming that I am "over" footy. Now I love the blue boys through and through. When they came to my hometown I stalked them haha for two days and got as many signatures and photos as I could. I love the club and an proud of its history. I bleed Navy!

So, I was wondering if there had been a general concensus as to what the heck is going on!? The first quarter of round 1 was a different Carlton. They were tackling aggressively, running through the corridor, reading the play excellently. Then the old Carlton reared its ugly head for the rest of the match. So, Is it the list? Do I just have my navy blue lenses on and think that my team is capable of achieving more when in reality they can't? Is it the coaching staff? Pls explain.
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Re: What is wrong with Carlton

Reply #1
We should start looking on what is right and what can be fixed internally, then we should start thinking about what is wrong and what needs external action to repair the problem

Reply #2
Hey guys!! So I haven't been on this forum for a long time now, and I apologise if a thread of a similar sort has already been started.

After watching only one game (round 1) and being 3 rounds in I am claiming that I am "over" footy. Now I love the blue boys through and through. When they came to my hometown I stalked them haha for two days and got as many signatures and photos as I could. I love the club and an proud of its history. I bleed Navy!

So, I was wondering if there had been a general concensus as to what the heck is going on!? The first quarter of round 1 was a different Carlton. They were tackling aggressively, running through the corridor, reading the play excellently. Then the old Carlton reared its ugly head for the rest of the match. So, Is it the list? Do I just have my navy blue lenses on and think that my team is capable of achieving more when in reality they can't? Is it the coaching staff? Pls explain.

Haven't you heard? The coach is shight! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3
The board is factionalised.  Whoever manages to get the numbers brings in their cronies/favourites and bad-mouths the previous lot.  They rule by threat/promise of donations withheld/made and have no idea what it takes to make a football club competitive in the 21st century.

Coaching appointments have been botched, drafting and trading is average, free agency has been handled badly, player development is inadequate, list management is poor, succession planning is ignored, members are overcharged and not engaged, the relationship with the Northern Blues is flawed and there isn't a tangible and achievable vision for the future.

In fact, one could say that no-one at the club really knows what success looks like.

Despite all of that, I don't think we're too far off the pace.  Some good decisions and we could be on the improve.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Just wondering, many reckon the new Prez and a CEO (present company not yet convinced) get a tick each and we are on the right track. Next down the tree is McKay. Do people think there is heat on him? Has he done a good job to date? Thoughts? Can we do better?

Reply #5
Just wondering, many reckon the new Prez and a CEO (present company not yet convinced) get a tick each and we are on the right track. Next down the tree is McKay. Do people think there is heat on him? Has he done a good job to date? Thoughts? Can we do better?

Mckay is on the outer, its all about SOS rebuilding the list with Mick..I expect McKay to be moved on....I dont hear or see the new President refer to McKay much at all...

Reply #6
What's wrong with Carlton?
Nothing that a total independent review couldn't identify!

Reply #7
Mckay is on the outer, its all about SOS rebuilding the list with Mick..I expect McKay to be moved on....I dont hear or see the new President refer to McKay much at all...

Not sure about that EB; I don't think Mick will have much to do with it, even if he is retained.

Andy McKay's days are numbered, regardless of how well he has done his job.  He was appointed by the other faction.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8

Ha ha. Where on this earth do we find the people to have a total independent review. Your funny, I tell you that much. Then again something tells me you are not trying to be funny.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #9

The independent review would find the previous administration was incompetent and looking for quick fixes. The measures the board have put in place will give Carlton 5 premierships in a row if we're patient  :))

Reply #10
Ha ha. Where on this earth do we find the people to have a total independent review. Your funny, I tell you that much. Then again something tells me you are not trying to be funny.

I'll tell you where you don't get them from......
Carlton.

The thing is it won't happen because no-one in power will submit themselves to that process.
The first thing a review would tell them would be to resign, because while they're all still there the circular power struggles will continue.

Reply #11

Not sure about that at all, on the radio The Judge seemed pretty resolute in his support of SOS and McKay. The Judge really drop kicked the recruiters and player development though, straight out said it hadn't been good enough!

I think we will see a big restructure at the support levels, some of those 2ICs might be looking for a job!

I know we would both love to see one in particular get the kibosh!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12

I reckon they will use McKay as a straight out administrator and have him less involved in day to day function within departments. That's how it should be.

You know the type, makes sure all the boxes are ticked and paperwork done but the people in the roles will be responsible for their roles.

Not like when Swan was there and it looked like every man and his dog had a finger in pies that shouldn't concern them.

Put people you believe in, in the roles , give them the resources, trust them to do the job. Then, if they don't work out you can get someone else.

Again, I heard some Hawks administrator saying this is how they operate.

Makes perfect sense.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #13
I'm particularly keen to see what we do about player development including coaching staff and the NBs. This is a vital area as we seemed to have squandered so many draftees in the past, although we've done OK with some of the rookie picks and Irish guys.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
@EB1

I don't think Mick will have any direct involvement in rebuilding the list. That is primarily SOS's area although the senior coach will obviously provide some input to him.

Mick stated pretty clearly that he is focused on the NOW and is primarily concerned with trying to put the best available team out each week. That is one of the reasons why our player development is so important in bringing through new young talent for senior selection, even if we do change our senior coach.
Reality always wins in the end.