Skip to main content
Topic: What is wrong with Carlton (Read 18405 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What is wrong with Carlton

Reply #30
Did these two rip it up in the 2's?

The Sydney weather is going to be over Wellington on Saturday afternoon, you don't want to be too tall!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
It is really starting to look a case of everyone in every role, was not in a position to lead the club forward for way too long a period.

Prez/CEO, head coach, assistant coaches, recruiting agents, Bullants coach, list manager, fitness/strength coach etc. Lack of true skills coaches.

Picked up players with picks that could have had us better options. Poor developing of young kids. Playing players in a role that doesn't suit them. No real effective game plan A and B. Choosing players in a side that are not always the best mix. Playing players that are clearly not fit to play. Playing players that are injured or close to breaking point. Bringing in experienced players that could have been a better selection. Captain selection or leadership group that doesn't always reflect the best leaders. Poorly managed the entire list. Losing players for no compensation. Failed to trade player to the best result of this clubs future.

We have managed to screw everything up on every level. This is why we are in as much trouble as we are at the moment. I sometimes wonder if Judd wishes Hawthorn was his first choice to come back to Victoria. He would have had 2 more premiership medals, with maybe one more to go. This is why the way back up the ladder will be a long climb for this club. We have some fixes in place. Are they the best fixes at the moment ? Time will tell. We haven't fixed every level just yet. We haven't brought in the best mix of players yet.

I can't see us fixing the players mix for 2 to 3 seasons. We need to consider players in the future that give us an instant experienced body on the park. Bernie Vince, Lamumba types for not an expensive price. There have been many players on the move, and a clever side will top up with an experienced player every season. Not a 30 year old. A 26-27 year old that still has a few seasons left in their legs. A more than decent player to help mentor the young kids. We need to develop the young list. Grow our own stock. Get the best coach without a current deal, and have them coach the NB's. NOW. Not next season. Get someone now. This is where you grow your future stock. Get the best person in charge of recruiting NOW. Then decide what we do with Mick after this season. Give him a chance to do something with what he has got. I'm not sure if the head of this fish is fixed just yet. Might need a few changes there also. Then again it might be O.K now. Again time will tell.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #32
Get a clue?...thats choice coming from someone who defended Hughes and Rodgers who were one of the main reasons the club is in the mess it is in now.....
You want to run my theories by someone else and then tell me to get a clue after you supported Hughes and Rodgers???...get some runs on the board and credibility would be my response.
You are 2 for 0 at the moment and when Malthouse gets the boot you will be 3-0.....you have my permission to run that by someone else too....

Get a clue.

Did i defend Hughes and Rogers or did i suggest there was bigger problems in the club....DEVELOPMENT.

Do i defend Mick or do i suggest there are bigger problems elsewhere.

Read what i wrote the other day. I'm not trying to get Malthouses contract extended. I'm just defending him from people who make up crap to try and force him out the door.

Reply #33
Hey guys!! So I haven't been on this forum for a long time now, and I apologise if a thread of a similar sort has already been started.

After watching only one game (round 1) and being 3 rounds in I am claiming that I am "over" footy. Now I love the blue boys through and through. When they came to my hometown I stalked them haha for two days and got as many signatures and photos as I could. I love the club and an proud of its history. I bleed Navy!

So, I was wondering if there had been a general concensus as to what the heck is going on!? The first quarter of round 1 was a different Carlton. They were tackling aggressively, running through the corridor, reading the play excellently. Then the old Carlton reared its ugly head for the rest of the match. So, Is it the list? Do I just have my navy blue lenses on and think that my team is capable of achieving more when in reality they can't? Is it the coaching staff? Pls explain.

Things that are wrong...poor attitude, poor workrate, poor on-field culture and an unsuitable game plan. That's alot worse than a so-called poor list. With those problems the best list will look like a poor list. Get those right and the list will look alot better than what it is.

Reply #34
@ laj
I say get the attitude, work rate and onfield culture right and the rest will take care of it self (game plan and list).

Reply #35
Touching back on the "whats wrong with Carlton" issues, lets have a look at the lessons we are not learning.

This helps to bring some of our more modern methodology surrounding list management in perspective.  It appears that we have had very relaxed standards at our club for far too long, and after looking at an article where Judd led the way with Cripps, I thought to myself, where else has this bloke assisted to "set the tone".

I stumbled across this article, and I wonder just how little we have learned during our time with the great man at the place.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/carlton-players-vow-to-improve-off-field-behaviour/story-e6frf3e3-1225917479492

In accepting responsibility for the drunken stupidity that arose from an end-of-year booze cruise, Judd pledged that the players would become better role models.

"The leadership group takes extra responsibility for what happened. We are entrusted by the club to ensure appropriate levels of behaviour are maintained, and we put our hands up today to say we fell seriously short of that and give our word that it won't happen again," Judd said on Monday.

"It is impossible for players to talk their way out of a situation like this. You really have to behave your way out of it."

"Unfortunately with that, comes time, and all I can offer is words today, but we will be looking to behave our way out of the predicament we find ourselves in," Judd said.

5 years on, and it appears that the last lot never really got a handle on this.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #36
... and this sort of thing comes down to leadership.

You need hard at it players who are your leaders, players that tick every box and do everything right.

Looking back at all the recent clubs who were successful over many years they have talent, but they have discipline that is run by the strong leaders of the club.

Brisbane, Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn all have strong leaders who are also in their best 5 players.

Freo now have their strong leaders with Fyfe and their giant midfield leading by example.

Watch out for GWS (fish in a barrel) and Melbourne over the next 5 years. Viney, Brayshaw and Hogan, all hard young men, all will be Melbourne's best players within the next 2-5 years.

We have Cripps, which is a start but with this draft we need to find a Hodge, Selwood, Voss type midfielder, who doesn't just have talent but has that hard edge about them. Then it's these players who need to drive the culture, combined with a young new coach, 2-3 good draft years where we keep the picks and get them right. We don't need triers like Rowe or talent but no hardness like Gibbs and Murphy in our leadership group. We need steel, toughness and talent.

Reply #37
Good post Raydan.

Draft hard kids and get players with talent via FA. Players that have real ability. Don't trade for players using our picks. Don't find Tutt, Jones and Dick types. Find players that show they are genuine.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #38
Nothing relevant to the thread but why is "Don't go Juddy's" rating "a guest"? Just that I've never seen this before.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #39
It was Gointocarlton when he couldn't log in JK.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #41
... and this sort of thing comes down to leadership.

You need hard at it players who are your leaders, players that tick every box and do everything right.

Looking back at all the recent clubs who were successful over many years they have talent, but they have discipline that is run by the strong leaders of the club.

Brisbane, Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn all have strong leaders who are also in their best 5 players.

Freo now have their strong leaders with Fyfe and their giant midfield leading by example.

Watch out for GWS (fish in a barrel) and Melbourne over the next 5 years. Viney, Brayshaw and Hogan, all hard young men, all will be Melbourne's best players within the next 2-5 years.

We have Cripps, which is a start but with this draft we need to find a Hodge, Selwood, Voss type midfielder, who doesn't just have talent but has that hard edge about them. Then it's these players who need to drive the culture, combined with a young new coach, 2-3 good draft years where we keep the picks and get them right. We don't need triers like Rowe or talent but no hardness like Gibbs and Murphy in our leadership group. We need steel, toughness and talent.

Been saying it for years we are too soft on the field, and our leaders are too soft....Hodge, Selwood etc are one every ten year type players who combine talent with hardness and resolve, this draft isnt very deep either so we might have to wait a while until we can get a new set of leaders..or do we import them in like we did with Judd...?
Cripps will be one for sure and probably the next captain but there isnt much left on the list to work with but I like Brad Walsh and reckon he will be a leader if and when
he makes the senior list..