Skip to main content
Topic: What does our club stand for? (Read 10603 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What does our club stand for?

Reply #15
@ Kruddler

The simple difference between the good old days of Sellers and The Dominator is that then the guys were semi-professionals. Now of course they are full-time professional athletes. There's a big difference in the approach with a lot more expectation on players to do all the right things by their employers and customers - in summary they must provide full value and be seen to be doing all the right things. It was very different back then when as long as you pulled a rabbit out of the hat on match day, many other things off field could be forgiven.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
@ Kruddler

The simple difference between the good old days of Sellers and The Dominator is that then the guys were semi-professionals. Now of course they are full-time professional athletes. There's a big difference in the approach with a lot more expectation on players to do all the right things by their employers and customers - in summary they must provide full value and be seen to be doing all the right things. It was very different back then when as long as you pulled a rabbit out of the hat on match day, many other things off field could be forgiven.

I don't buy that.

Why can Hawthorn do today what we were able to do then? Are Hawthorn not full time professional athletes? I think they are. ;)

The crux of the problem at our club is we don't know how to achieve success in the modern era. Off-field and on. A cultural change is required to drag us into the modern era in all facets of the game.

In terms of the players, that is something that they can control themselves. They can demand commitment from each other. They set their own team rules (to an extent) and they can enforce them. They can punish themselves should they transgress. If the players are not on board to begin with, what hope do we have?

Team rules can be made, followed and enforced no matter what era you come from. The rules may change, but the meaning behind them remains the same.

Reply #17
I don't buy that.

Why can Hawthorn do today what we were able to do then? Are Hawthorn not full time professional athletes? I think they are. ;)

The crux of the problem at our club is we don't know how to achieve success in the modern era. Off-field and on. A cultural change is required to drag us into the modern era in all facets of the game.

In terms of the players, that is something that they can control themselves. They can demand commitment from each other. They set their own team rules (to an extent) and they can enforce them. They can punish themselves should they transgress. If the players are not on board to begin with, what hope do we have?

Team rules can be made, followed and enforced no matter what era you come from. The rules may change, but the meaning behind them remains the same.

I think you misunderstood. I was saying that WE have failed here, not that others have. I agree that the Hawks are one of the benchmarks of the new era. What I was saying is that people like Sellers repeatedly talking about "his day" is not helpful ant not really all that relevant to our current predicament. We need to be more like the Hawks of today and less like the Blues of old.

Reply #18
I think you misunderstood. I was saying that WE have failed here, not that others have. I agree that the Hawks are one of the benchmarks of the new era. What I was saying is that people like Sellers repeatedly talking about "his day" is not helpful ant not really all that relevant to our current predicament. We need to be more like the Hawks of today and less like the Blues of old.

I think what Sellers says rings true in relative terms.
He said if you wanted to play along side Wayne Johnson in our forward line you knew what you had to bring and if you couldn't deliver then the leadership group would toss you to the kerb

As i said before, i think the key is this.
Thats all sellers wants. Players demanding success from their teammates and ensuring it comes.

Reply #19
Thats all sellers wants. Players demanding success from their teammates and ensuring it comes.

x2
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20

Agree with the sentiment but we need to look forward and not dwell too much on past glories which were achieved when times were a lot different. The principles may well be the same but the context and all important details are not - let's put the past in the past and look forward to what we need to do in the now. Sellers means well but he will not get us where we need to be today, at the general level what he's saying is pretty much "motherhood".
There are plenty of would be advisers who can dispense the "what we need" type of advice but fall short when it comes to the all important "How" part.

Reply #21
until there's relentless bullicking at every contest , hard tackling, players backing others in the contest, clean skills by foot and hand, fast and fearless breaking of lines, scoreboard impact , this club is nothing....it has been nothing for over a decade.
Reality is, many of this lot play for contracts. Thats where my loyalty ends. Everybody is on the table to achieve the aforementioned. You don't get a say where either

Reply #22
At the moment it has an identity crisis at it struggles to shake off the rich filth that covers every aspect of the club.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #23
At the moment it has an identity crisis at it struggles to shake off the rich filth that covers every aspect of the club.

x2 The club stands for confusion at the moment on and off the field....

Reply #24

Filthy rich tend to think that you can just go out and buy whatever you want and solve your problems that way. Hasn't worked like that in the AFL for some years now - wonder when the penny will drop for them. The rest of the membership of course aren't filthy rich.......just effin' filthy!!

Reply #25
Filthy rich tend to think that you can just go out and buy whatever you want and solve your problems that way. Hasn't worked like that in the AFL for some years now - wonder when the penny will drop for them. The rest of the membership of course aren't filthy rich.......just effin' filthy!!

Cookie...Just thought I would congratulate you on your Brownlow medal... :))

Reply #27
Cookie...Just thought I would congratulate you on your Brownlow medal... :))

Wow! Thanks EB - I hadn't noticed that. (I must try and spend less time at the laptop!  ::) )