Skip to main content
Topic: What Has Turned Around Bryce Gibbs ?? (Read 25003 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What Has Turned Around Bryce Gibbs ??

Reply #30
In 8 weeks, he has developed an 'in your face, elbow in the guts as I go past, be the first in when one of ours is under siege' attitude.  A developing Hogde / Lewis attitude. 

No coincidence that we are more aggressive across the board. Towards the ball, the opponent, the game in general. 

Culture.
This, Gibba has been Hodgiefied

Reply #31
This, Gibba has been Hodgiefied

Lets see if he can do it for more than three weeks in a row.
Geez we get carried away on here with a handful of good games.
Hodge is a 4 x premiership player, 2 x Norm Smith medallist and 3 x AA.

I congratulate Gibbs on his recent effort, but it seriously highlights his lack of leadership.

Great leaders perform when the chips are down, not when everything in their little world is perfect.
That is exactly what makes Luke Hodge an all time great.

Reply #32
Lets see if he can do it for more than three weeks in a row.
Geez we get carried away on here with a handful of good games.
Hodge is a 4 x premiership player, 2 x Norm Smith medallist and 3 x AA.

I congratulate Gibbs on his recent effort, but it seriously highlights his lack of leadership.

Great leaders perform when the chips are down, not when everything in their little world is perfect.
That is exactly what makes Luke Hodge an all time great.

What you say is very true, however, I like the BB mantra that what occurred before his arrival is of little interest to him. Clean slate. Everyone started anew from his arrival. Gibbs is playing very good footy and leading well also. His challenge is to maintain and improve upon this.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #33
Andy Lee asked Gibbs about the mongrel in his game today.  As I'm sure we all know, Gibbs is a laid back character and I was keen to hear what he had to say.

Gibbs said that it is contrived mongrel.  He thought that by dishing a bit out he could stay involved in the game.  I reckon it's working and I hope he keeps it up.

It is interesting that a player like Gibbs can figure out a way to take their game to another level, particularly when it involves behaviour that doesn't come naturally.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
I like the new Gibbs and dont care who or what has inspired it...just want to see more of it, its in your face with some smarts and the man has been winning contested footy
 and showed leadership today IMO and he was easily BOG....

He and Docherty could be AA if they keep up their present form... 8)

Reply #35
Who knows but lets just hope it keeps going. My personl opinion though is you can never discount some in-house competition and I think Murph and Gibbs just naturally thought they were going to be the peas in the pod once Judd retired but Cripps and now even Weitering have lit a fire up their ar5e5.

Reply #36
Who knows but lets just hope it keeps going. My personl opinion though is you can never discount some in-house competition and I think Murph and Gibbs just naturally thought they were going to be the peas in the pod once Judd retired but Cripps and now even Weitering have lit a fire up their ar5e5.

I suppose you can look at it either way, it could be the likes of Cripps and Weitering showing signs of stepping up has freed Gibbs and Murphy up to play to their potential.

Don't discount the influence of Docherty and Simmo either, they are leading by example on a weekly basis.

Another thing, Kreuzer, Wright and Kerridge, they crack in regardless of the state of the game. It sets a standard others must follow.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Might be finally playing his correct role in a side with vastly improved structure... also seems to be going harder at it for longer.  So some improvement is a result of structure, the rest appears to be a stronger mind set.  Kudos to coaching and player.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #38
What a difference two players can make in a week. Two much maligned players in fact. Anyone who thinks Kruze and Cas (partcularly Kruze) arent important to our structure should watch today's game again. I watched them closely today live, they worked their asses off up and down the ground. One chase Kruze did on a Geelong player was inspirational, he never gave up, put enough perceived pressure on the kick to have Doc smother it. Kruze quickly got on his bike and ran hard the other way. It was good to watch, the Blues supporters around me just clapped and cheered what was seemingly a missed chase but we knew it wasnt, it was just effort and desire in its purest form. Cas just straightened us the fork up and with Kruze, allowed Rowey to go and do what he does best, fight with power fwds.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
What a difference two players can make in a week. Two much maligned players in fact. Anyone who thinks Kruze and Cas (partcularly Kruze) arent important to our structure should watch today's game again. I watched them closely today live, they worked their asses off up and down the ground. One chase Kruze did on a Geelong player was inspirational, he never gave up, put enough perceived pressure on the kick to have Doc smother it. Kruze quickly got on his bike and ran hard the other way. It was good to watch, the Blues supporters around me just clapped and cheered what was seemingly a missed chase but we knew it wasnt, it was just effort and desire in its purest form. Cas just straightened us the fork up and with Kruze, allowed Rowey to go and do what he does best, fight with power fwds.

I need a 'like' button for this post! Good stuff !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #40

Thought his chase and Docs smother  was play of the day.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #41
Andy Lee asked Gibbs about the mongrel in his game today.  As I'm sure we all know, Gibbs is a laid back character and I was keen to hear what he had to say.

Gibbs said that it is contrived mongrel.  He thought that by dishing a bit out he could stay involved in the game.  I reckon it's working and I hope he keeps it up.

It is interesting that a player like Gibbs can figure out a way to take their game to another level, particularly when it involves behaviour that doesn't come naturally.

Last time he tried to be tough he got weeks on the sideline for that sling tackle.

Reply #42
Last time he tried to be tough he got weeks on the sideline for that sling tackle.

Now he's Hodge-tuff!   ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #43

I'm one of the few who thought his little holiday was deserved. He seems to have put some more thought into how he goes about it. Good for him.

Reply #44
I'm one of the few who thought his little holiday was deserved. He seems to have put some more thought into how he goes about it. Good for him.

I thought the penalty was stiff but it was a crude tackle.  I'm not sure what motivated the tackle but the aggression he is playing with this year is contrived and measured.  While Gibbs said that he decided to be more aggressive in order to be more involved in the game, I suspect that the coaching panel has both encouraged him and tutored him in how far to go. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball