Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 28159 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #15
Out of the running through not being able to run enough perhaps?

He certainly has the ability but I'm not sure that he has the tank or the four quarter effort yet.

Still looks a kid out there and at senior level I reckon he might get hurt very quickly....

Reply #16
SOSOS has earnt his spot. Play him. He's running out games ok in the VFL. You play good footy in the VFL week in, week out then you earn your right to play.

Reply #17
People forget that, although we won some games, the primary objectives for this year is setting standards and player/list development.

We won't be giving guys games JUST because they are young or get a few kicks in the magoos.

Sustained adherence to the tasks set to the players is what matters. People whingeing at the MC for picking Tutt, White, Walker etc need to be directing their disappointment at DVR, Jaksch, Foster, Gowers, Buckley etc for not performing well enough to warrant a call up.

Gorringe only got selected because we had nobody else to ruck.

You should all get used to this because this is what it takes to set standards!

Gowers is a rookie, he doesn't get a run regardless, he would have been in the VFL best last weekend.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
SOSOS has earnt his spot. Play him. He's running out games ok in the VFL. You play good footy in the VFL week in, week out then you earn your right to play.

SOJ certainly didn't run the game out against Box Hill.  It's quite illuminating to stand behind the interchange bench and watch how long it takes players to recover after each stint on the ground.

He wasn't sighted in the first half against Box Hill, a bit like his game on Saturday.

SOJ is a long term proposition and the club should give him time to build his fitness, strength and resilience before he gets a game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
SOJ certainly didn't run the game out against Box Hill.  It's quite illuminating to stand behind the interchange bench and watch how long it takes players to recover after each stint on the ground.

He wasn't sighted in the first half against Box Hill, a bit like his game on Saturday.

SOJ is a long term proposition and the club should give him time to build his fitness, strength and resilience before he gets a game.

Wasn't sighted in the first half and didn't run out the game, but kicked 4 goals. How does that work?

If he wasn't sighted in the first half then he obviously did well in the second half given his goal tally. Indicates he's running out a game ok.

He's kicked alot of goals recently, to me he's ready to play or at least be tried at AFL to see where's he's at. Can always put him back to the VFL in a couple of weeks. A run in the seniors can only help him, experience-wise. We have blokes kicking goals in the twos but not picking them.

Reply #20
People forget that, although we won some games, the primary objectives for this year is setting standards and player/list development.

We won't be giving guys games JUST because they are young or get a few kicks in the magoos.

Sustained adherence to the tasks set to the players is what matters. People whingeing at the MC for picking Tutt, White, Walker etc need to be directing their disappointment at DVR, Jaksch, Foster, Gowers, Buckley etc for not performing well enough to warrant a call up.

Intelligent and meaningful comment.

Reply #21
Wasn't sighted in the first half and didn't run out the game, but kicked 4 goals. How does that work?

If he wasn't sighted in the first half then he obviously did well in the second half given his goal tally. Indicates he's running out a game ok.

He's kicked alot of goals recently, to me he's ready to play or at least be tried at AFL to see where's he's at. Can always put him back to the VFL in a couple of weeks. A run in the seniors can only help him, experience-wise. We have blokes kicking goals in the twos but not picking them.

SOJ plays in bursts and spends a lot of time recovering on the bench.  I don't think we can cover that at AFL level.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22

This

Reply #23

Yep. We are still sorting the sheep from the goats. If we can at the same time manage a respectable number of wins all to the good as it will help create the foundations of the culture we need to be established.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24

The best post I've seen on here for a long time cimm.
Well done !!!

Set the standards and stick to them.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #25

Tend to agree as well, I think Jaksch has Corey Mckeranan itis , SOS moved him on previously , and the next year there he is again at the new club, and hasnt had a run?? Really disappointed in him this year certainly hasnt moved forward. Kicking a few in the NB's isnt a true guide at times. The rest , really DVR ? Why ? Again hampered by the fact in Melb, but no reports really give him the nod. Rather see Gowers , Foster get a run rather than recyle the others again.

Reply #26
The best post I've seen on here for a long time cimm.
Well done !!!

Set the standards and stick to them.

The only part I don't agree with is Gowers, I am assuming cimm1979 has the wrong player or name.

Quote from: Senior NBs coach Josh Fraser
Setting a platform

Bill Gowers: Following a slow start to the season, the second-year Carlton rookie has benefited from a move to the half-back line to be one of the Blues’ best performers in their last three wins. Gowers has averaged over 22 disposals since the positional change and put in arguably his best performance of the last two seasons against Box Hill. He will be hopeful of maintaining his positive form in the second half of the season as the Blues look to build on their positive momentum.

Quote from: Senior NBs coach Josh Fraser
Rnd 10.

38. Billy Gowers
Stats: 27 disposals, 10 marks, 5 inside 50s, 8 handball receives
From the coach: It was a really good game from Billy. He swept up just about everything that came into the defensive half of the ground. He provided some good run-and-carry, was strong in the air and used the ball well.

Seriously, people not voting from a stats sheet would have had him among our best last game(Rnd 12) as well.

I think under the MM regime they were trying to turn him into a Mid/Fwd, but he lacked the agility and awareness in traffic. Not sure how big he is now, his arrival stats showed 186cm, but I'd suggest he is closer to 190cm now and looks like he can hold down a flank. He has a great ability to read the ball and play, his recent games remind me of the way Docherty was in his early games.

His only problem is do we already have too many of the type that can play the flank role, Tuohy, Docherty, Simmo, Byrne, Walker, Lamb, Sumner, Graham, Kerridge, Curnow, Gibbs, etc., etc..
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
The only part I don't agree with is Gowers, I am assuming cimm1979 has the wrong player or name.

Seriously, people not voting from a stats sheet would have had him among our best last game(Rnd 12) as well.

I think under the MM regime they were trying to turn him into a Mid/Fwd, but he lacked the agility and awareness in traffic. Not sure how big he is now, his arrival stats showed 186cm, but I'd suggest he is closer to 190cm now and looks like he can hold down a flank. He has a great ability to read the ball and play, his recent games remind me of the way Docherty was in his early games.

His only problem is do we already have too many of the type that can play the flank role, Tuohy, Docherty, Simmo, Byrne, Walker, Lamb, Sumner, Graham, Kerridge, Curnow, Gibbs, etc., etc..

Gowers certainly looks bigger than 186cm and 83kg.  I think he has bulked up (against the trend) and plays taller.

I was very impressed with him against the Hawks and he continued that form against Sandringham.  What I like about him is his willingness to take the game on.  He got pinged for running too far but, apart from forgetting to bounce the ball, showed a willingness top back himself in.  I suspect that he does have a future as an AFL player.

Of course, he's a rookie and can't get a game and, as you point out, he has lots of competition for a half back position.

I guess Cimm's point is that Gowers should have forced his way into a nominated rookie position so he could contest for a spot in the 22.

Reply #28
I guess Cimm's point is that Gowers should have forced his way into a nominated rookie position so he could contest for a spot in the 22.

I couldn't see anyone forcing either of the Ciaran's out of the nom-rookie spots.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Gowers certainly looks bigger than 186cm and 83kg.  I think he has bulked up (against the trend) and plays taller.

I was very impressed with him against the Hawks and he continued that form against Sandringham.  What I like about him is his willingness to take the game on.  He got pinged for running too far but, apart from forgetting to bounce the ball, showed a willingness top back himself in.  I suspect that he does have a future as an AFL player.

Of course, he's a rookie and can't get a game and, as you point out, he has lots of competition for a half back position.

TBH DJC I put Gowers in as he was just another player who, until recently, hadn't done a lot. He might turn into being a ripper or a spud.
The point of the post was to, hopefully, encourage people to look past selections as week to week propositions and focus on the overall strategy the club appears to be trying to implement. People say "why Tutt?, why White? they are not the future" when they should be asking "when will player x,y or z be ready?"

That LP got caught up on this one player isn't surprising. Big picture isn't really his thing.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................