Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 28781 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #45
There's nothing wrong with making the young blokes:
a. earn it
b. show some desperation and hunger
c. show some fight and crape

If they want it bad enough, they'll get there.

If they are up to it (not talent wise as they all have it), they'll get there.

Guys like:
- Graham
- Buckley
- Jaksch
- DVR
- Gowers

There's obviously something(s) missing with these blokes that BB and co don't see, or haven't seen enough of, for long enough.

I agree. Wallsy was on SEN earlier saying that anyone given a senior game should stay there for at least 4 weeks to prove themselves, even if they make a few mistakes, as long as their attitude and endeavour  are right. I guess if that's the case you have to make extra sure that the right people get selected in the first place.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
Did we win last time you went ??

There is a good chance! I used to mostly go to Essendone v Carlton games and I have never seen Carlton lose to the Bombers at the 'G!

I have seen us lose to Richmond and the Demons of all teams there though. :(
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #47
My next one is v Crows!
Hope you see the boys put on a show this weekend and you get to scream your lungs out with elation.
that is when we come away with our 7th for the season. Have a ball Amers. Give the boys a big cheer for me

Go Blues

Cheers LN, I'm sure I will be doing plenty of cheering!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #48
I have the opposite view.  Tutt has worked his butt and was rewarded for it.  That is a great example for the younger players to follow.

He takes short steps and sells team-mates into trouble, that is a very, very, very bad example.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
He takes short steps and sells team-mates into trouble, that is a very, very, very bad example.

I don't think that Tutt has the ability to succeed at AFL level but he has been outstanding in the VFL.  He must appreciate the little bit of extra time because there are no short steps and his decision making and execution have been good.

As one of the most consistent and and better performing players in the NBs, Tutt deserved an opportunity in the seniors.  That he didn't make the most of it is another issue.  However, giving under-performing players a shot before him on the basis of their youth would be sending a very, very, very bad message. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
However, giving under-performing players a shot before him on the basis of their youth would be sending a very, very, very bad message.

I don't believe under-performing is the same as inconsistency, I accept the younger players have consistency problems, but when they play well they play well and labeling them under-performing is a bit unfair.

Tutt has been gathering 30+ possession games for most of the season, that gets him some attention, but the defects in his game are the very same defects he had at the Bulldogs before he came to Carlton. Nothing has changed! At AFL level where he has no significant advantage the opposition expose his foibles within minutes. If there were no short steps from Tutt in those VFL games you have watched, he sure made up for it in his last AFL match! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
I don't think that Tutt has the ability to succeed at AFL level but he has been outstanding in the VFL.  He must appreciate the little bit of extra time because there are no short steps and his decision making and execution have been good.

As one of the most consistent and and better performing players in the NBs, Tutt deserved an opportunity in the seniors.  That he didn't make the most of it is another issue.  However, giving under-performing players a shot before him on the basis of their youth would be sending a very, very, very bad message.

THIS!

The club have been very good with selections this year. They support the team vision and the logic can't be faulted.

But of course the methodology doesn't guarantee wins, otherwise we'd have #17 in the bag.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #53
THIS!

The club have been very good with selections this year. They support the team vision and the logic can't be faulted.

But of course the methodology doesn't guarantee wins, otherwise we'd have #17 in the bag.

It's all part of "driving culture and values" as Bolton would say.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54
Any chance of Murph being back?

Also game number 200 for 1AW !!

Reply #55
Any chance of Murph being back?

Also game number 200 for 1AW !!
Injury Update on the website says still 3 weeks away.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #56
Murphy 'At least 3 weeks away'.  At what stage do we call 'SEASON'?

Reply #57
Murphy 'At least 3 weeks away'.  At what stage do we call 'SEASON'?
Probably not that far away, which is a pity. We certainly miss him. Our midfield is not the same without him.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #58
Probably not that far away, which is a pity. We certainly miss him. Our midfield is not the same without him.

Agree 100%.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
this is why we have to keep our draft picks and recruit mids (quick)in this year draft.