Skip to main content
Topic: What are your expectations for 2017? (Read 25387 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What are your expectations for 2017?

Reply #135
i have to disagree.

The slow, ball movement, keeping off style implemented by BB this year is a deliberate ploy by the Coach to teach the kids the importance of tempo during a game.....

Of course, we need a McKay to step up as a key forward but we showed in a handful of games that we can move the ball quickly and kick a handful of goals or more in a quarter.....

We bolster the midfield and there will, by default, be a lot more I50 entries....

All that aside, would love to see Ben Saunders in the Navy Blue next year!

Tend to agree. This year has been primarily about player development. Next year will be a development year too but I'm also hoping to see this year's work reflected in our performances and results.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #136
The slow, ball movement, keeping off style implemented by BB this year is a deliberate ploy by the Coach to teach the kids the importance of tempo during a game.....

That I agree with, a slightly different benefit, as I believe that understanding the players defensive roles in a slow motion version of the game will allow them to transition 'by default' at turnovers, without the relentless pressure of everyone being out of position. It will allow them to pinpoint who has fluffed their lines and make sure that player is educated in their roles.

Similar thought pattern, but 100% agree that the slow deliberate hands off football has been part of a greater teaching curve that Bolton is trying to implement and I suspect that the shackles will come off and the tempo will increase next season
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #137
Jon Anderson has fixed things for us, we're cured!

Quote from: Jon Anderson, The Hun
THE SOLUTION

Close out more games. Eight times they lost after leading at the 10 minute mark of the last quarter, and in terms of quarters won were competitive with teams around the eight.

Lordy be, so simple! :o

I don't mind Jon he's not a Ralph, but this article is a little thin on detail!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carlton-end-of-season-review-how-id-fix-the-blues/news-story/e25b35e4cc7222eff22948e00fb68d4f
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
CARLTON avoided the wooden spoon and, while it didn’t win as many games as 2016, showed significant development in its young list.

JON ANDERSON runs the rule over the Blues’ season and gives his thoughts on what the club needs to do to shoot up the ladder next year.

THE SEASON ROUND UP
If you win one game less and end up with a very similar percentage as last year then it should be nothing to write home about, but reality says the Blues made incremental gains in some key areas.
In 2016 they were on the receiving end of six floggings, a number that was reduced to just two (Port Adelaide and Geelong). Last year they beat just one finalist in Geelong, a number they doubled in beating Sydney and Greater Western Sydney. And they have a clear kick/mark game plan which normally results in them defending turnovers.

THE PROBLEM
Get the game played out of their back half, because the ball spent too long there this year. Player-wise, they are at least two gun midfielders shy of where they need to be for finals action, although one or both of those spots could come from natural development of existing players. They also require another ruckman for depth, because if Matthew Kreuzer fell over it would come down to the injury-plagued Andrew Phillips.
They would also love to see the emergence of one or both of their young forwards in Pat Kerr or Harry McKay to become a marking and leading target.

THE SOLUTION
Close out more games. Eight times they lost after leading at the 10 minute mark of the last quarter, and in terms of quarters won were competitive with teams around the eight.
Part of that comes down to a lack of physical strength.
By extension they also need to finish seasons stronger, given they have won just two of their last 20 games in the back half of the past two years. From what we have seen from Brendon Bolton and his coaching staff, they appear up for the challenge.

THE TARGET
They’re still sweating on key forward Levi Casboult and will be waiting to see if Bryce Gibbs tries to get home to Adelaide again, but the biggest need is ruck help for Kreuzer — and that just might come in the form of Collingwood’s Mason Cox.

They are quietly confident a run at the bottom half of the eight is not out of the question. For that to happen the Blues will need to tinker with a game plan that normally restricts opposition scoring but doesn’t result in free-scoring (only twice in the past 44 games have they passed 100 points).
Being hard to play against, which they generally are, is one thing, but learning a winning culture is a whole new ball game.

THE DREAM/BLUE SKY IDEA
Obviously class in the midfield the likes of Richmond’s Brownlow Medal favourite Dustin Martin or GWS jet Josh Kelly is the dream, but not a reality. That aside, blue sky is for the kids — players such as David Cuningham, Charlie Curnow, Zac Fisher, Harrison Macreadie, Caleb Marchbank, Harry McKay, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Jack Silvagni, Jarrod Pickett, Jacob Weitering and Tom Williamson — continue to develop.
That would mean they challenge for the eight next year, definitely make it the year after and have a real crack in 2020.

GARY BUCKENARA SAYS
Lion Tom Rockliff would definitely be a player of interest. He’s a free agent and suits Carlton’s needs as a bigger-bodied midfielder who wins his own ball and can also hurt on the scoreboard.

THE STATS
FEELING BLUE
STAT   RANKING
Points scored   18th
Points scored from turnovers   17th
Points scored from stoppages   18th
Generating score once inside 50   18th
Offensive ball movement   17th

IN TROUBLE?
Four the Blues could cut:
Daniel Gorringe
Kristian Jaksch
Dylan Buckley
Denis Armfield (Retired)

2018 PREDICTION
9th-16th. I think 2018 is still too early for finals action, but a target of 10 wins is realistic.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #139
So

There is no way this is a fail?
So when we decided to keep the list together last year, those that argued against cutting deeper argued you can't afford to continue to bottom out.
So, winning 2 less games and finishing lower on the ladder... there is NO WAY this can be considered a failure?

I disagree.

I think the coaching staff has done as well as I would expect. I don't have an issue there.
I think the club has performed at about the level I PREDICTED, as in I thought we already had the worst list and 14-16th was going to be the result, no matter how hard we traded out our top players.

So with us performing at a level that saw us bottom 3 (and make no mistake, I think we will go to that 10th area on the ladder next year), I think we missed a chance to bring in even more youth and to try and find homes for some of our elder players (who actually had good seasons in my opinion).

So I think with the playing list we performed adequately and developed players nicely, but I think the board cannot get a free pass forever. I think drafting players like Smedts was a perfect example of horrible list management.

I give our coaches a 5-7/10 this year, this list they maintained to me was still the worst (or close to worst) list in the competition.
But I give our football club, overall... about a 3/10.
And if they don't get into that top 10 next year, then there will need to be serious ramifications and it should not start with the coach.

I took issue with your original prediction for the same reason i take issue with this now.

EVERY club wants to improve their list. Upgrade senior players and bring in more youth. However, like with Gibbs, if what you can get is of lesser value to you than what you have, you dont do the deal, otherwise your list is worse.
Makes sense right.
But, as i said on page 1, it takes 2 to tango. You can sell if nobody is buying.

So the club failed because (potentially) nobody wanted our players? I can't buy that.

I agree we should've cashed in, but again you need someone to pay.

Given what we had available, the season went as well as i had predicted and expected.

Next years prediction comes after we finalise our list.

Reply #140
Pressure should be applied to everyone at the club to improve by alot.

Reply #141
At the start of the year I thought we would win between 7 + 10 games and would be among the also rans. In previous seasons the ladder has usually broken up into 4 groups, the good sides, the mediocre, the also rans and the poor. Usually with 5 good sides, 5 mediocre, 4-5 also rans and 3-4 poor sides. This year the ladder has broken into 3 distinct groups. 6 good sides, 7 mediocre sides and 5 poor sides. Of the 5 games we played against the other poor sides, we only won one. This is something we need to look at. If we had won 3 of those five, we would have won 8 for the year and the debate about whether the team has improved would be more clear. Carlton needs to kick 1 goal a quarter more each game and have 1 goal a match less kicked against it. The one goal a quarter needs a change in mindset and a consistency in attack we haven't had for many years. The one goal less a match could be achieved by not having blow outs. So 10 less goals kicked against us by Port Adelaide and Sydney, and 5 goals less kicked on us by Geelong would achieve this.
My expectations for 2018 is for Carlton to do a lot better because I am sick of following a rubbish team.

Reply #142
At the start of the year I thought we would win between 7 + 10 games and would be among the also rans. In previous seasons the ladder has usually broken up into 4 groups, the good sides, the mediocre, the also rans and the poor. Usually with 5 good sides, 5 mediocre, 4-5 also rans and 3-4 poor sides. This year the ladder has broken into 3 distinct groups. 6 good sides, 7 mediocre sides and 5 poor sides. Of the 5 games we played against the other poor sides, we only won one. This is something we need to look at. If we had won 3 of those five, we would have won 8 for the year and the debate about whether the team has improved would be more clear. Carlton needs to kick 1 goal a quarter more each game and have 1 goal a match less kicked against it. The one goal a quarter needs a change in mindset and a consistency in attack we haven't had for many years. The one goal less a match could be achieved by not having blow outs. So 10 less goals kicked against us by Port Adelaide and Sydney, and 5 goals less kicked on us by Geelong would achieve this.
My expectations for 2018 is for Carlton to do a lot better because I am sick of following a rubbish team.

It depends on how you view it.

IMHO I think that there were about 14 contenders, and 4 also rans who were capable of beating anyone or losing heavily most weeks, and the difference was that the gulf between them was so vast rather than truly poor sides. (Gold Coast fit the bill as poor).
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #143
I would like to see a statistically significant improvement in disposal skills and efficiency.

Hit some targets by hand and foot and the rest looks after itself, missing targets is the boat anchor that keeps us at the bottom.
The Force Awakens!