Skip to main content
Topic: What are your expectations for 2017? (Read 25648 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What are your expectations for 2017?

Reply #15

As supporters we absolutely should EXPECT success.

Yes , but not necessarily in the first 3 years of a major list rebuild.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #16
Yes, but we go back to the same old question - define success ?

finals every year, 1 flag every 5 years, prelim every 3 years, linear improvement in ladder position every year etc.

Reply #17
And sandsmere, I like your sig.

Reply #18

Yes , but not necessarily in the first 3 years of a major list rebuild.

I expect N+1 is greater than N
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #19
I guess my expectations are based on how I interpret our side in comparison to last year, plus how other sides around us will perform. Reality is what you're left with when expectations are met, exceeded or not met.

I see our backline as being better again. The addition of Marchbank plus the natural development/improvement in Plowman and Docherty should bode well. We know what to expect from Rowe and Simpson and they'll probably deliver about the same. I really don't believe Tuohy is a huge loss and in time Macreadie will slot in down back very nicely, until then White will be the man. We look forward to Byrne returning... with relish as he also gives us dash out of defence. And when they're up against it, Weitering, I believe, will help out.

I think our midfield will also improve. Murphy back is a big plus. Gibbs is responding very well to the kerfuffle of late last year. Cripps will improve again. Ed Curnow just has to keep doing what he does. Palmer and Smedts are good additions and I believe C Curnow will do plenty of midfield time as his pace is needed in a somewhat average paced midfield. With Kreuzer in good form, this bodes well. Kerridge is on thin ice and had better improve his disposal % efficiency or it's goodnight, nurse. In time you'd reasonably think that Polson and Fisher will get to show their wares in the midfield, along with Pickett and SPS. I've given up on Boekhorst (Lucas MK2) and Cuningham (Lucas MK3) but would love to be proven wrong.

Our forward line, which is sh1te/worst in the league/ will have to rely on small and medium sized players (midfield/C Curnow/SOS2/Wright/Pickett) to kick us a meaningful score as Harry is still developing, Casboult is disappointing and unless something amazing happens, Jaksch/Jones (and Thomas and Casboult) are enjoying their last year at PP. Personally, I believe Weitering must play forward.

So, I expect us to do better than last year even if that, paradoxically, doesn't translate into more wins but rather, a much stronger %, no blow-outs and us actually dishing out a hiding or two.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
@Baggers

Good post Baggers - I think they are reasonable hopes/expectations, based on the fact that  you've seen the guys in the preseason. I'm looking forward to R1 next week to check 'em out.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
MIO, I just want to clarify - the equation as you see it, is thus :

- if the club traded out "everyone", and the list was 90%? new or newish recruits, then you could tolerate a non linear progression up / down the ladder, and after a few years of up/down, then leading to success ?

- because the club hung onto its stars, and only went for a "partial" rebuild, then progression up the ladder must be linear only, moving slowly upwards but never downwards ?

Paul
If we had tried the blank canvas, I would have expected the losses and seen that as still a progression, and what is more I would have expected to see continued progression in results.

My view is that the club has assessed (wrongly) that the we were best placed holding these players and as such, considering we are on a rebuild that means we expect to progress from last year..

If the club goes backwards this year at all, I am not sure what we gained by holding onto older players who I don't think are good enough when we could already be using that money to ensure the future.

I don't really want to try and argue for a rebuild again though. I just wanted to more raise the point that we should have expectations, that the clubs actions should be a message to us where they see us and that we should therefore be able to say.. Okay well then I expect this level in return.

If the club had gone a different path my expectations would have been different, including if somehow they had managed to draft in a raft of stars.

I don't think it is unreasonable to hold the club accountable for their decisions/strategies
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #22
As I have said before one of our problems is the rate of improvement, other teams are not standing still waiting for us to catch up, we have to improve at a greater rate than last year and hope a few of the teams in front and those who were below dont improve at the same rate, stagnate go backwards..
Even a 5-10% rate of improvement may not be enough to see us progress much higher than last season or even go backwards....

Reply #23
The one thing we cant afford, and my greatest concern, is that we have to reset the rebuild.

Reply #24
The one thing we cant afford, and my greatest concern, is that we have to reset the rebuild.

I agree completely

@EB I agree, however it should be expected that if we are at 60% of the strength of the top team, we should be able to make more improvements than most teams at 85%.

For a team 5th it is understandable to improve, but go backwards, team in our situation should be moving forward without excuses
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #25
How have you drawn that conclusion? Apart from Gibbs, did we have any negotiations around Murphy, Kreuzer, Thomas, Casboult etc?

Without us knowing either way, I consider it irrelevant. If the list managers have done such a terrible job that we have no one that other clubs are after, then that is worse.

You've answered your own question there.

List managers/recruiters/developers have all been changed in the past few years basically for that reason. Our 'talent' isn't living up to expectation for one reason or another.

So while you consider it irrelevant, i can not agree.

Casboult was signed up very late in the footballing year and only given a 1 year contract. Highly likely that he was up for trade, but nobody wanted him. Rather than try and find someone to take his spot from a rookie list. We keep him on for another year on minimum chips.

Kreuzer has had a world of injuries and has been rumoured to have failed multiple medicals in the years past. Clubs might not want to take the risk like we did with Thomas.

Murphy, for the same reasons. Injury concerns. Clubs would be wary of a club trying to trade out its captain who hasn't played for the last half of the year. If i'm a buyer, that sends off alarm bells.

Thomas....you expect someone to buy him?

Reply #26
Kruddler I agree Casboult would have unlikely had any suitors, but think we should have been looking or offloading.

I do think that Murphy & Kreuzer would have had clubs after them, they do after all improve many clubs, that is obvious.

With Thomas, I think yes, someone might have been interested if we paid 50% or 60% of his salary, I still see that as a complete win.

I do believe we had some ability to trade deeper, of the club had shopped players around it would have got out and their respective managers would have hit the airs trying to get deals for their players also.. I have no evidence they didn't shop players around, but the lack of evidence to show they did speaks volumes
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #27
Paul
If we had tried the blank canvas, I would have expected the losses and seen that as still a progression, and what is more I would have expected to see continued progression in results.

My view is that the club has assessed (wrongly) that the we were best placed holding these players and as such, considering we are on a rebuild that means we expect to progress from last year..

If the club goes backwards this year at all, I am not sure what we gained by holding onto older players who I don't think are good enough when we could already be using that money to ensure the future.

I don't really want to try and argue for a rebuild again though. I just wanted to more raise the point that we should have expectations, that the clubs actions should be a message to us where they see us and that we should therefore be able to say.. Okay well then I expect this level in return.

If the club had gone a different path my expectations would have been different, including if somehow they had managed to draft in a raft of stars.

I don't think it is unreasonable to hold the club accountable for their decisions/strategies

Fair enough. Thanks matey.

Reply #28

If we have to reset the rebuild, then maybe we can offer a complimentary rewire and re-plumb to appease the masses - if that fails, we can market ourselves as a "renovator's delight", or my personal favourite when I'm feeling low about the club, "renovate or detonate."

Bloody AFL jargon.

Reply #29
MIO, I'm surprised to hear you say that about Thomas. I'd be shocked if he found another home, irrespective of how much of his salary is subsidised.

I could see him in some type of coaching role.