Skip to main content
Topic: What are your expectations for 2017? (Read 25386 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What are your expectations for 2017?

Reply #30
MIO, I'm surprised to hear you say that about Thomas. I'd be shocked if he found another home, irrespective of how much of his salary is subsidised.

I could see him in some type of coaching role.

Thomas would be quite valuable to some clubs. His presence on field surrounded by children is underestimated by many Carlton supporters. He knows where to be on the field and when, often gets there despite supporters claiming he's too slow to keep up, and also pretty much does a sole hand directing the beginners where to be and when.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
People post in these threads like the "improvement curve" is a never ending climb to higher and higher performance, it's just unrealistic.

The concept of being left behind is bullsh1t!

The only thing that stops any club climbing the ladder is the failure to develop the resources they have.

Recently we've manage to scupper our fortunes twice. The first time when we reacted prematurely to kibosh Ratten, then again when as his replacement we appointed a redundant geriatric who raped the club and it's culture.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Thomas would be quite valuable to some clubs. His presence on field surrounded by children is underestimated by many Carlton supporters. He knows where to be on the field and when, often gets there despite supporters claiming he's too slow to keep up, and also pretty much does a sole hand directing the beginners where to be and when.

Well, we managed to stooge Brisbane with Fev, and they have a young list, sooooooo.................

Reply #33
People post in these threads like the "improvement curve" is a never ending climb to higher and higher performance, it's just unrealistic.

The concept of being left behind is bullsh1t!

The only thing that stops any club climbing the ladder is the failure to develop the resources they have.

Recently we've manage to scupper our fortunes twice. The first time when we reacted prematurely to kibosh Ratten, then again when as his replacement we appointed a redundant geriatric who raped the club and it's culture.

Oh no!  Another thread spiralling out of control ;)

Improvement requires good list management, the ability to get the best out of the list in terms of development, pastoral care, fitness and conditioning, direction and leadership, and a brand of footy that is competitive and suits the attributes of the playing group.

I reckon we're on track.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Oh no!  Another thread spiralling out of control ;)

:))

We are now re-entering the Twilight Zone!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
My expectations are:
- game plan/s that make blowouts less likely
- management of youngsters for the longer, not shorter term
- consistent reliable performance from older and stopgap players
- several players step up to give Cripps a hand
- brief but brilliant flashes from our star draftees (1-3yrs) + Byrne in 2nd half
- game time for youngsters, well supported by seniors
- development of "us" mindset across the squad
- consistent performance in NB with move up the ladder
- some consistent AFL standard performance from KJ
- back 6 become more cohesive, static or less points against
- Indigenous players feel valued and their culture respected (strong spirit = max development)
- more consistent effort for longer periods
- nobody getting gifted games
- club and supporters unite and stand behind our coaches/players

I've a few more, but that'll do for now :D

Go young Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #36
I like that list LN.

Reply #37
My expectations are:
- game plan/s that make blowouts less likely
- management of youngsters for the longer, not shorter term
- consistent reliable performance from older and stopgap players
- several players step up to give Cripps a hand
- brief but brilliant flashes from our star draftees (1-3yrs) + Byrne in 2nd half
- game time for youngsters, well supported by seniors
- development of "us" mindset across the squad
- consistent performance in NB with move up the ladder
- some consistent AFL standard performance from KJ
- back 6 become more cohesive, static or less points against
- Indigenous players feel valued and their culture respected (strong spirit = max development)
- more consistent effort for longer periods
- nobody getting gifted games
- club and supporters unite and stand behind our coaches/players

I've a few more, but that'll do for now :D

Go young Blues

I like your work LN  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38

Exactly why i stand up for him.

His ability to individually impact games is not what it used to be, however from the very first game he played in a carlton jumper, his direction out on the field was better than any other bloke out there. For a 1st gamer in a new club, it really showed us how far behind we were as a playing list.

Reply #39
Exactly why i stand up for him.

His ability to individually impact games is not what it used to be, however from the very first game he played in a carlton jumper, his direction out on the field was better than any other bloke out there. For a 1st gamer in a new club, it really showed us how far behind we were as a playing list.

I saw Thomas pointing a few times, generally after mis-kicking, but no evidence that he was providing any direction whatsoever.  Self-preservation has been his primary motive, and that's understandable given expectations and his loss of pace and agility.

It's a nice try Kruddler, but more a product of a vivid imagination than anything approaching reality.

Reply #40
I saw Thomas pointing a few times, generally after mis-kicking, but no evidence that he was providing any direction whatsoever.  Self-preservation has been his primary motive, and that's understandable given expectations and his loss of pace and agility.

Maybe you are seeing what you want to see, like the stuff people saw watching McLean.

I expect this season the naysayers will keep bemoaning the selection of the likes of Thomas and White until the point their career ends. At which time I expect to hear the "I told you so" repeatedly after the fact.

Carlton needs to get as much as possible out of the older guys in 2017, while the young guys develop, let the oldies do some heavy lifting until the kids are ready and durable enough to step up.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
Maybe you are seeing what you want to see, like the stuff people saw watching McLean.

I expect this season the naysayers will keep bemoaning the selection of the likes of Thomas and White until the point their career ends. At which time I expect to hear the "I told you so" repeatedly after the fact.

Carlton needs to get as much out of the older guys in 2017, while the young guys develop, let the oldies do some heavy lifting until the kids are ready and durable enough to step up.

I saw a hell of a lot more from McLean than I have seen from Thomas.

I was hoping that Thomas would be a contributor this season but his form in the JLT games was poor - apart from the odd cameo.  We really can't afford to carry Thomas if what he dished up in the JLT games is any guide to what he'll provide this season.  I'd rather get games into the kids or blokes like White, Graham, Sheehan and Buckley.

Reply #42

Carlton needs to get as much out of the older guys in 2017, while the young guys develop, let the oldies do some heavy lifting until the kids are ready and durable enough to step up.

Well said.
I'm no fan of the Thomas deal, but enjoyed his performance earlier on. IF he can add to the leadership and mentor the youngsters, on/off field, that's just as important at this stage of our club's development.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #43

It's a nice try Kruddler, but more a product of a vivid imagination than anything approaching reality.

My comments from his first time wearing navy blue are amongst these pages, times stamped for all to see.

He's been doing it from day dot. Just because the high horse sitting DJC can't/won't see something doesn't mean it fictitious.
I'm not the only one who has noted that, so perhaps you should investigate your own imagination and reality.

Reply #44
I expect supporter perceptions and other preconceived ideas won't change in 2017, despite my expectation that Carlton delivers change in 2017.

I expect I'll regular fly off the handle in the immediate aftermath of an embarrassing defeat, and I expect Carlton will deliver that opportunity. But I expect them to do so less regularly than in immediate past seasons.

I expect the reactions, comments and posts of supporters will reflect both Carlton's on-filed performance and the events happening in the supporters private lives.

I expect no matter how much improvement and positives Carlton delivers, some supporters will only see the negatives.

I expect no matter how well a player like Thomas, Jones, Jaksch, Casboult, Kerridge, Gorringe or White perform, some supporters will refuse to judge them fairly.
The Force Awakens!