Skip to main content
Topic: Should we chase Josh Schache? (Read 19510 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Should we chase Josh Schache?

Reply #30
I have reservations for getting Sache on big money ,what has he shown,I would rather spend the money on a PATTON,LYNCH,CAMERON,WRIGHT ,LOBBE 

Reply #31
I'll wait to see how things pan out a little more b4 making a call on Schache. I am interested. I'm a little unsure on his toughness and resilience just yet!
I was a fan of Schache at U18 level. He was level headed and talented. But, like Pratty, I have yet to be convinced about how mentally tough he is. I would certainly be looking at him closely, but I think the asking price is questionable.

The other reason I would be leery of is that we already have a 200+ cm mobile forward coming through. H (Harry McKay) SHOULD be a little behind Schache in his development, as he is younger and had much time out with injury (McKay was the equal youngest player in the AFL last year with his twin.). However, on form you would be hard to justify that.

So, I wouldn't utter a blanket 'No', but I would be questioning more than a llittle before diving in with wads of cash.
When you get down to it, a LOT of talented players leave Brisbane after a short while and play a LOT better. Sam Docherty springs to mind easily. Schache could well do the same if his heart was in it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32
I have reservations for getting Sache on big money ,what has he shown,I would rather spend the money on a PATTON,LYNCH,CAMERON,WRIGHT ,LOBBE
I can't see these guys leaving, but if they were to be looking.....
Lynch killed us earlier this year. I'm sure he would LOVE to play for a team on the rise in fact rather than just in name.
Jeremy Cameron would be a similar coup, if it came to that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #33
To be honest, players that have all the attention is where I would be steering clear from if I were the list manager.  We need blokes that have ability and a point to prove rather than blokes who were taken early in the draft and are looking for a pay day.

We need young heads, but we need to maximise our chances of success here too in terms of a strategy that sees us tread water, whilst attracting some draft picks, and picking up a player which fills the hole.

So, keeping that in mind, the player we can most afford to lose, that has some market value, and might be attractive for sides:

Levi Casboult.  With his tidy kicking this season and step up in the ruck, he is a free agent, and the compensation might yield good results in terms of a first/second rounder.

The player we should bring in to replace him??  I would be looking at Kurt Tippet as being a bloke who has had a poor few years, is in the twilight of his career, has had his pay day, and will be looking to elongate his career whilst having a point to prove and plenty of football left in the tank.

If we could somehow swing that deal, we would walk away from it at worst having broken even at the trade table and perhaps in an even better position at the draft than we are in at the moment.  Obviously I wouldnt be pulling out all the stops for Tippett, but its a buy low, sell high scenario whilst breaking even.  This is the blue print we trade with moving forward.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34
Lobbe I pretty handy, genuine KP/ruck, and there actually aren't many of them out there.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #35
Why? Have you heard something????????????????????

Nothing official Pratty.

I have a good mate who lives in Sydney and is a member of GWS. He reckons they will have to let some
good regulars go because of salary cap problems .

And Trigger did say a few weeks ago that we were looking to sign a marquee player.

We sure need a good KPF.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #36
When you get down to it, a LOT of talented players leave Brisbane after a short while and play a LOT better. Sam Docherty springs to mind easily. Schache could well do the same if his heart was in it.
IIRC, Scache was actually keen to go to Brisbane as his father had played there.  He wasn't in the Headland category of being shanghaied to the opposite end of the country and counting the days until he could return.

Of course, Schache may have changed his mind once he got there - a case of "be careful what you wish for as your wish might come true".

Reply #37
To be honest, players that have all the attention is where I would be steering clear from if I were the list manager.  We need blokes that have ability and a point to prove rather than blokes who were taken early in the draft and are looking for a pay day.

We need young heads, but we need to maximise our chances of success here too in terms of a strategy that sees us tread water, whilst attracting some draft picks, and picking up a player which fills the hole.

So, keeping that in mind, the player we can most afford to lose, that has some market value, and might be attractive for sides:

Levi Casboult.  With his tidy kicking this season and step up in the ruck, he is a free agent, and the compensation might yield good results in terms of a first/second rounder.

The player we should bring in to replace him??  I would be looking at Kurt Tippet as being a bloke who has had a poor few years, is in the twilight of his career, has had his pay day, and will be looking to elongate his career whilst having a point to prove and plenty of football left in the tank.

If we could somehow swing that deal, we would walk away from it at worst having broken even at the trade table and perhaps in an even better position at the draft than we are in at the moment.  Obviously I wouldnt be pulling out all the stops for Tippett, but its a buy low, sell high scenario whilst breaking even.  This is the blue print we trade with moving forward.

I would not be keen on what amounts to a swap of Cas for Tippett.

Reply #38
Let's also keep our perspective when it comes to list management.  Our current build seems to be much better than our previous one in the noughties.  We've prioritised talls and unlike the noughties we have a lot of promising prospects.  In the noughties, we prioritised elite mids, traded away our only elite young KPP (JK) and hoped to find some tall talent outside the top 10 (and failed spectacularly).

But now 3 of our best mids are aging and we'll need replacements soon: Murphy, Gibbs and Simmo.  We don't want to repeat the mistakes of the last rebuild by falling prey to an obsession to continually add to our strength while forgetting about our weakness.

We'll need to use our early picks/tradebait to go after elite mids, either in the draft or through trades.  We'll have to pay over the odds to get Schache.  Let's take the time to see if Charlie, Harry, JSOS and BSOS (Ben) and the Bolt can do the job first.

Reply #39
Let's also keep our perspective when it comes to list management.  Our current build seems to be much better than our previous one in the noughties.  We've prioritised talls and unlike the noughties we have a lot of promising prospects.  In the noughties, we prioritised elite mids, traded away our only elite young KPP (JK) and hoped to find some tall talent outside the top 10 (and failed spectacularly).

But now 3 of our best mids are aging and we'll need replacements soon: Murphy, Gibbs and Simmo.  We don't want to repeat the mistakes of the last rebuild by falling prey to an obsession to continually add to our strength while forgetting about our weakness.

We'll need to use our early picks/tradebait to go after elite mids, either in the draft or through trades.  We'll have to pay over the odds to get Schache.  Let's take the time to see if Charlie, Harry, JSOS and BSOS (Ben) and the Bolt can do the job first.

Agreed. It's not the $$ amount that is a factor in someone like Schache. Honestly $700k a season won't seem that much after the new collective bargaining agreement goes through. It's what it would cost us in terms of draft picks.

We'll load up on quality mids this year.

Reply #40
My read on it is that we are "going to the draft" this year, and next year will make a big play. Tom Lynch is a free agent next year, top up the mids this year and go hard for Tom, a Blairgowie boy, for 2019....
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #41
My read on it is that we are "going to the draft" this year, and next year will make a big play. Tom Lynch is a free agent next year, top up the mids this year and go hard for Tom, a Blairgowie boy, for 2019....

Maybe, though I'm a bit unsure.

My take is we should be active in the Trade and TA market this year.

Reply #42

I know what you are saying, but its about team balance with greater potential for output.  Tippet would absolutely be of greater help to Kreuzer in the ruck and around the ground, and if we got him as a delisted free agent (not as a trade), and lose Casboult as a free agent via the free agency compensation model, I imagine Casboult would net us a second rounder as compensation.  I would estimate that would be his value on the open market.

Im looking to strengthen our hand for the draft, and not weaken our team structure which is what I imagine SOS is trying to achieve at the trade table each time.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #43

I agree Tippett is over-rated, he is no better than Casboult around the ground and is weaker over-head.

I'd rather keep Casboult if that is our option, because at least Casboult looks likely as a CHF. If he keeps kicking straight opponents will start to respect him more and won't run off him. Further I like the look of his mobility around F50 stoppages, when he has momentum and makes use of it he's a very big boy! Casboult will be even better if some of the younger guys start to demand some respect, and also stop taking their opponents to his marking contests.

.............. I imagine Casboult would net us a second rounder as compensation.  I would estimate that would be his value on the open market.

I'm not sure, maybe a very late 2nd Rnd pick, but most likely a 3rd Rnd pick and maybe a top up list player. The problem as I see it is that if you are a prospective buyer you need Casboult and Sav Rocca, if you don't have the pair you potentially have nada! Rocca really is working a miracle!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
I know what you are saying, but its about team balance with greater potential for output.  Tippet would absolutely be of greater help to Kreuzer in the ruck and around the ground, and if we got him as a delisted free agent (not as a trade), and lose Casboult as a free agent via the free agency compensation model, I imagine Casboult would net us a second rounder as compensation.  I would estimate that would be his value on the open market.

Im looking to strengthen our hand for the draft, and not weaken our team structure which is what I imagine SOS is trying to achieve at the trade table each time.

Those are fair points Thry, but I'm still not sure. Tippett's career thus far has been distinctly underwhelming. He would be a better 2nd ruck than Cas, but he's older, would be more expensive, and has no real presence (Cas is a bit better, but not by much). Plus Cas is a better contested mark, and given his current form, is a better kick for goal. I realize Cas' net worth is now as high as it's likely to be, and one side of the argument says sell now. But on the other hand an argument could be made that says we have put serious amounts of time and effort and resources into getting him sorted, why should others reap the benefits, especially the replacement is of dubious value ?

My devalued Aussie dollar's worth.