Skip to main content
Topic: Should we chase Josh Schache? (Read 19511 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Should we chase Josh Schache?

Reply #90
Holman was a nice player but lacking hurt factor.

Even defenders need a hurt factor - elite disposal, intercept marking, hard tackling, closing speed being some of them.

Being a disciplined player that tackles hard sometimes isn't enough.

This is where Graham needs to improve - nice little player and finds plenty of the balll but if he can add assists and goals to his game will be a genuine good player.

Cunningham has break away speed and goal kicking so plenty there to work with just needs to get involved more.

Reply #91
I am happy for Holman that he's going well but do not think we should chase hom at all. We've moved past the redrafting of rookies level of list management I would think.

Reply #92
Staying at Brisbane

Reply #93
Yes. Confirmed today. 2 year contract.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #94
That really is a good result for the competition. Teams should not be losing 1st round draft picks after 2 years.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #95
That goes both ways then. 

Clubs shouldn't be able to cut loose first round draft picks too if you want them to be made to stay against their wishes.

The onus is on the club to do due diligence and draft players that want to play for them. They can draft who they like but if it was made clear on draft day that player x really doesn't want to play for Brisbane they might want to think of trading that pick for players to get more value, or run the risk of players signalling their intention to go.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #96
Except Schache actually came out before the draft and said he would love to play for Brisbane.

I think 1st rounders should be tied to longer contracts to be honest.
We don't barrack for Brisbane, so it is easy to be dismissive. But a club constantly losing it's stable of players is simply not good for the game.

Tom Scully being pinched by GWS was not good for the game.

I would have no problem with 1st round picks being signed to 3 or 4 year contracts.
Imagine if Weitering wanted out this year.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #97
Except Schache actually came out before the draft and said he would love to play for Brisbane.

Solves both sides of this problem, I think the AFL average 4 year career seems fair term, and can be offset for the player by having a slightly higher starting wage.

We don't barrack for Brisbane, so it is easy to be dismissive. But a club constantly losing it's stable of players is simply not good for the game.

Agreed, both morally and fiscally wrong.

I would have no problem with 1st round picks being signed to 3 or 4 year contracts.

Don't jinx us!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
With Schache off the table the media now linking Tippett to Nthmond.

You've got to give them credit, that Nthmond crowd just keep bouncing back from falling one step short! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
What happened to Tippett? He looked like the next Kernahan at the Crows.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #100

He copped an absolute lambasting on SEN yesterday saying he lacked ANY passion and had virtually stolen money from the Swans. Quite a startlingly frank assessment. They reckoned he was only good enough to be considered a mediocre ruck prospect and is nowhere near being an AFL forward.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #101
Sure MIO.  Public statements are barely worth considering IMHO.  Even so, the decision of a teenager about their long term future to move interstate might have been perfectly palatable at first, but the reality of doing so is much harder than talking about it.

As much as I would agree, sometimes clubs need to be protected from themselves.  Imagine having been stuck with Kane Lucas for much longer, also, GWS happily traded away no less than 3 first rounders from the 2015 draft in last seasons trade period.  Not one of them had fired a shot.  This is the exception, but the reality is, that there are enough dodgy first rounders that have gone around that make this idea less palatable for clubs.

I agree with this, its not good for anyone.

I dont think its necessary.  All it means is that you keep a bloke that doesnt really want to be there longer.  In a game where passion is important, having someone going through the motions is not ideal, nor fiscally does it work out. 

we all gamble when we pick an interstater.  People think they know what they are getting into, but then when they make their move and reality hits, it might not have been all its cracked up to be and relationships in practise are very different than in reality.  The harsh reality of the budding AFL footballer who thinks that its going to be easy once they get established and then it all sinks in, the recovery sessions, the running sessions, the dietary requirements, the limits you have to push yourself to in order to be driven harder and harder and harder to get the most out of yourself, only to do it in an environment you are not used to, and dont really want to be in??

So, I think I have a different scenario (all ofthem have their difficulties, this one is no different).  Said player is forced back into the draft rather than traded.  Again its not perfect, but at least they cant just be white anted out of the club easily.  Nor will they go glory hunting.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #102

The media and his management painted him like that, but it was rubbish.

Anybody watching him play could see the hype didn't match the claims and still don't.

The short length of AFL Draftee contracts allows managers to take advantage of early career success, before opposition clubs have had a real good look at an new opponent to disclosed any weakness, Tippett was a prime example.

As you know I watch ruck play, and Tippett always had a touch of the Hampson's about him.
The Force Awakens!