Skip to main content
Topic: What have we learnt from this preseason? (Read 17559 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What have we learnt from this preseason?

Reply #30
With Boots he just doesn't have the body to make him a key defender. I'd play him in another role: I don't want to waste a top draft pick just because he isn't going to be FB of the Century.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #31
Seems that every game he's played the opposition coaches look to isolate him one out. Sometimes with a small , sometimes with a tall.

I like the kid and reckon he has some good qualities but be has to either improve his one out ability or find a position somewhere else on the field or the coaching staff have to be aware of what he can do.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #32
With Boots he just doesn't have the body to make him a key defender. I'd play him in another role: I don't want to waste a top draft pick just because he isn't going to be FB of the Century.

who in late first round or early second has really shone from '11?

Reply #33
Maybe I am wrong but do we always play him on bigger stronger players...he is our Zac Dawson and we keep finding Anthony Rocca's to play on him each game.

Think he is better suited to the wing where he can run and use that long boot of his, reminds me a bit of Frank Marchesani without the leg speed....

Reckon this will be his last season and he will back in WA  in 2015 and probably have Kane Lucas to keep him company unless we have some divine intervention of the football variety.

Reply #34
With you there, EB1. McInnes is a very good 'negater' and really puts in. But White also offers this plus better grunt, takes a good grab and can pinch hit up forward. Very flexible. I suspect this bloke will only get better and surprise.

He is shight and he's 26 this year. If we're relying on him to be any more than a backup player we're forked the guy goes to water under any sort of decent pressure.

Not sure 'goes to water under any sort of decent pressure' is fair. Especially when you factor in his neck injury then seeing his commitment in hard contests since. Seen him often be very physical at the contest and bring some hurt to opponents. Not sure Bootsma will ever deliver hurt in a contest... unless he squirrels someone  ;) :)

He doesn't shirk the issue but does tend to miskick or fumble or make a silly decision when the pressure is on.

Reply #35
FWIW, I don't rate Boots but at least he has some upside and could possibly still come good.Go into a final with White and I think there will be issues if it's a tight contest.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #36
FWIW, I don't rate Boots but at least he has some upside and could possibly still come good.Go into a final with White and I think there will be issues if it's a tight contest.

I'm a harsh critic on some players  but I think Simon White has something to offer.....took him a while to settle and then he keeps getting injured which always sends him back to square one and stifles his progress. I think he offers more than McInnes and can play both ends of the ground. Until Giles comes through I reckon White is better value and I do like the way he tackles and likes it physical....reminds me a bit of a taller Steve Da Rui. I know he can turn it over by foot but I think he was getting better in that area until that terrible neck injury.

Reply #37
Maybe I am wrong but do we always play him on bigger stronger players...he is our Zac Dawson and we keep finding Anthony Rocca's to play on him each game.

Yep - boggles the mind that both Ratts & now Mick contiunue to groom him as a key-defender type, when for mine, he's anything but. His best game was his debut, when he was allowed to roam free & 'chase the ball'. I thought once Mick took the reins, it'd be the last we'd be seeing of Bootsma in defence....sadly I was wrong, as this ridiculous experiment in futility continues....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #38

We agree on most players, disagree on White.

Think he has a lot to offer with a decent run at it. I don't see the silly decisions myself, will keep an eye out for it. McInness is the one i'm worried about, started so well and now looks shaky. Only young though.

Re: Boots. The famous, we picked him for his ability to play on the wing, siad Hughes. Plays KPD. More rose covered poop from the club.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #39
@Shadesy

The awful brain fades happened on multiple occasions when we gave up the lead to the Scum last year, it was pointed out on FC he was directly responsible for three of the goals, all the result of terrible decision making/brain fades. I too was a fan up until then but what I saw was unacceptable IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #40

We agree on most players, disagree on White.

Think he has a lot to offer with a decent run at it. I don't see the silly decisions myself, will keep an eye out for it. McInness is the one i'm worried about, started so well and now looks shaky. Only young though.

Re: Boots. The famous, we picked him for his ability to play on the wing, siad Hughes. Plays KPD. More rose covered poop from the club.

We have a bad record of doing that with players. I won't re-open specific cases, but more than one guy being played out of position has been made to look ordinary and crucified, on here for instance.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
Josh Bootsma aged 19 versus Dustin Fletcher aged 19.

This is why he is being tried in defence, I'm hazarding a guess.

Very similar physically at the same age.

Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #42
Fletcher had the strength and ability to play on Kernahan in the '93 GF. Bootsma can't even get a game. The two really don't compare other than having faces only a mother could love. With all due respect Nathbear, he will not play 200 games for us, he probably wont even play 50 but to get to 200 he will have to play pretty much every game for the next 9 years. Not gonna happen.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #44

Yep - boggles the mind that both Ratts & now Mick contiunue to groom him as a key-defender type, when for mine, he's anything but. His best game was his debut, when he was allowed to roam free & 'chase the ball'. I thought once Mick took the reins, it'd be the last we'd be seeing of Bootsma in defence....sadly I was wrong, as this ridiculous experiment in futility continues....

You are right, but lets not forget though that his debut was against GWS - in their first year - in a game we won by 10 goals without getting out of first gear! He was playing against kids, and I would have 10 possessions in that game!!

The point is though the coaches clearly don't see him as a wingman, and he has plenty of established players ahead of him for that spot. He doesn't appear to read the game well enough for mine to play that role, or have the precision skills and decision making you need. We have a 'hole' in the structure for a 3rd tall, which is what they are trying to get him to fit into - with limited success so far.

The vexed questions is whether [a] you continue to try and 'fill a need' in the team structure by developing him into something he wasn't originally drafted as, or (b) keep him playing in a role which we have plenty of other cover for, and he doesn't appear to have the capability to play in at the highest level?

I can see why the club thinks Option A has a better (albeit very small) chance of success. It is however a perfect example of our terrible list management / drafting in the first place. Although that draft, post pick 20 [Boots was 22], has been pretty lean so far. That was however the draft where pick 24 got Jack Gunston traded in, and we could have got you either Josh Jenkins or Tommy Walsh - both big strong aggressive types that we desperately lack.