Skip to main content
Topic: Walker Says Premiership In 4 Years LOLS (Read 20302 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Walker Says Premiership In 4 Years LOLS

Reply #15
We need a coach that can instill confidence in the playing group, not tell them they're crap to save his own pathetic skin.

This.

What do we expect when the Coach seemingly often trashes his players?

Maclure was right, Malthouse needs to be told to pull his head in.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
Nah I reckon the board's incompetence cost him his job.

You paint me as anti Ratten but this is what I posted in the gold coast post match thread.

One thing that I hate about all this Ratten talk is the fact how pathetic and piss weak our players were on Saturday night is being hidden. Ratten has taken the brunt for all of them.

They have to pay a price for what happened. Their end of season trip should be changed to Kokoda.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #17
They showed up for Ratten not a problem. Different list compared to what Pagan had. I agree though the players need to take some responsibility for sure but in the end, it's the coaches responsibility to instill spirit within the team and get them playing in a cohesive manner. For a bloke on a million plus it's so far been an abject failure that is getting worse, not better.

Numerous times they didn't show up for Ratten, they cost him his job.

Yep, very similar behaviour patterns I'm afraid. Sack MM and I fear we'll be back here having this conversation again in about 2 years time unless deep changes are made to the fibre and culture of the club, including the playing list.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
@MBB

TBF you did lead the charge to have him sacked.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #19
The players need to be aiming for the prize otherwise why else play?

Could they make it in 4 years?

They would need to improve as a collective in the areas we most neglect to teach our players how to play.

When was the last time you looked at something that one of our players did and said, gee that was clever?

The top teams seem to do it in every passage of play, but even from a bloke like Walker we get a little bit of good, a little bit of bad, and varying degrees of good and bad in between with most of it down at the ordinary level.  Gives us the odd highlight like the Mark of the year over Carlisle, or that goal against the Saints, and then fails to hit a target with the ball sliding off the boot twice against the Bombers (once on the non preffered side which is understandable, but on the preferred side?).

Perhaps Im the eternal optimist, but I think that almost any player can win a flag, but you to need to have the right mix around all of them for it to work, and we just seem to be lacking in too many different areas.

We keep saying the same things about our team every season regarding the IF's.  If so and so can stand up and play here, and If so and so can stand up and play there, and if X,Y,Z can stay fit, then we might be in the frame for a flag.

For those that think that Ratten was able to get the boys switched they are right, but look at the extremes he had to go to in order for it to happen.  Coaching on the boundary leaving the actual on field match ups to someone else from the coaches box?

That speaks for why this group is lacking a bit in the focus department.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20
Two things!

Firstly, many of you have short memories. There were numerous times that the players didn't turn up to play under Ratten. We lost to bunches of teams that we should have beaten comfortably, sometimes even by large margins. The blow out loss was due every 3-4 weeks under Ratts, it seemed.

It'd be fantastic to be a Carlton player. When you do well, you're a hero and when you don't do well, it's the coach's fault. Absolutely zero accountability at a player level, must be a nice feeling to know that everything is peachy no matter what you do.

Secondly, Walker was asked directly if he thought Carlton could win a Premiership during his current contract. What did you expect him to say? He was on national television, he is hardly going to come out and say 'You know what? I think we suck and won't win a flag while my kids are playing for Carlton, let alone while I am'.

I'm not even defending Malthouse, there are heaps of things I would do differently to him if I had the Carlton playing list to use, but all of you coming out and saying that everything is his fault or that Walker is stupid for saying we could win a flag should really think things through before you post those thoughts.

There's a lot of emotion and not a lot of logical thought flying around at the moment, both inside and outside the club.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #21
Two things!

Firstly, many of you have short memories. There were numerous times that the players didn't turn up to play under Ratten. We lost to bunches of teams that we should have beaten comfortably, sometimes even by large margins. The blow out loss was due every 3-4 weeks under Ratts, it seemed.

It'd be fantastic to be a Carlton player. When you do well, you're a hero and when you don't do well, it's the coach's fault. Absolutely zero accountability at a player level, must be a nice feeling to know that everything is peachy no matter what you do.

Secondly, Walker was asked directly if he thought Carlton could win a Premiership during his current contract. What did you expect him to say? He was on national television, he is hardly going to come out and say 'You know what? I think we suck and won't win a flag while my kids are playing for Carlton, let alone while I am'.

I'm not even defending Malthouse, there are heaps of things I would do differently to him if I had the Carlton playing list to use, but all of you coming out and saying that everything is his fault or that Walker is stupid for saying we could win a flag should really think things through before you post those thoughts.

There's a lot of emotion and not a lot of logical thought flying around at the moment, both inside and outside the club.

Thank you sir for those wise words.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
It is stupid. You have mixed messages coming from within the club, if it's too hard for you to comprehend how that is a bad thing it's not worth debating.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23
Sounds like he thinks we can match it with the top 4 now though.

We can in bits but we have lapses.

Hawks: last year we controlled the game, they ran over us in the last quarter with the help of the umpires.

Freo: Tight contest for 3 quarters, got smashed in the last.

Geelong: We controlled the majority of the first half but the cats smashed us in red time.

Sydney: Smashed in the first half, came back in the second
In the final first and last quarters we were competitive but smashed in the 2nd and 3rd terms.

No one controls the whole game for every game but the good sides when they control the game punish the other team.

On 360 last night McLure put up some stats for this year, we're 18th for disposals and 18th for uncontested possessions which shows we don't run hard enough for long enough.

I think Essendon had something like 200 more uncontested possessions than us last week. It was an absolute deplorable number and absolutely points to a lack of Workrate and effort (no comment on the coach here).

We are also 17th for Turnovers and Points Conceded from Turnovers, also points against. (behind Adelaide :o)
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #24
My problem is the club went we have good players, it must be the coach.

Now the coach made little difference and we say, it's the players.

I see this wild goose chasing at work all the time. We can point at the players but the lack of discipline is at the top level. Is there really any thought going into any of this or are we just going by the seat of our pants? The club is a shambles.

Reply #25
No coach will win a premiership with this list, this administration and this recruiting dept....Walker was just saying the party line stuff with his comments.

Reply #26
Well thats Pagan, Ratten and Malthouse the players haven't shown up for, at what point do the players have to take some responsibility?

Pagan wanted Fevola dropped after he took his boots off on the bench but was over ruled by the club, he never had a chance.
If we'd backed him 100% we wouldn't be where we are now, let's hope Malthouse doesn't cop the same treatment.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #27
Well thats Pagan, Ratten and Malthouse the players haven't shown up for, at what point do the players have to take some responsibility?

Pagan wanted Fevola dropped after he took his boots off on the bench but was over ruled by the club, he never had a chance.
If we'd backed him 100% we wouldn't be where we are now, let's hope Malthouse doesn't cop the same treatment.

Errr, whilst MBB and yourself may be in agreement with Malthouse, you're poles apart with Pagan. :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #29

Errr, whilst MBB and yourself may be in agreement with Malthouse, you're poles apart with Pagan. :))

I'm poles apart from most Carlton supporters when it comes to Pagan, but it seems to me that history is beginning to repeat.
Pagan was a dual Premiership coach who built North Melbourne's great 90's team from the ground up and had them playing finals year after year, yet somehow he "lost" our players according to some astute judges, and now another Premiership coach (triple in MM's case) is in the process of losing the current playing group according to some of the same astute judges.
I just don't buy it, I think that the club has developed a soft underbelly and that our supporters have been conditioned to believe that all problems can be solved with a cheque book, that if we just recruit one or two key players we're Premiership bound again and if it doesn't happen in two or three years then the coach is the problem.
We've been finding scapegoats for way too long.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.