Skip to main content
Topic: Walker Says Premiership In 4 Years LOLS (Read 20299 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Walker Says Premiership In 4 Years LOLS

Reply #60
TBF Malthouse has won one premiership in the last 20 years.

Only a few years ago and not with a star studded list, and runner up the next year.
We would take it.

Their middle was very good, They had the best mark in the league and a pretty good number 2. Great run off half back too. I think it was a very good side supported by the highest cost footy department going around and spending on footy departments correlates very highly with ladder position.

Reply #61

Hmm, that is a very rational answer B4L, but I was preferring the irrational like some common sports science.

If only it was that easy, or we could just buy players like we did in the70's and 80's.
The thing is that we all hoped we'd turned the corner with our recruiting but none of our first rounders from the last five years are certain to make the grade and Lucas, Watson and Bootsma are looking increasingly unlikely.
Menzel looks the goods and Cripps obviously needs time, but there's no indication yet that we've lifted our game significantly.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #62
22 hardened senior players to be exact EB! Doubt we'll ever see that again.

We'll never see it again because they built that outstanding list courtesy of the concessions granted to them when they 'merged' with Fitzroy. They had a 52 man list for a few years after that, and a massively inflated salary cap. It won them three flags in a row before Collingwood cracked the sads and convinced the AFL to scrap the concessions. Brisbane haven't even been close to a force since they lost the 2004 Grand Final to Port Adelaide.

So how did Geelong do it?

Bloody good drafting down the list plus the line they drew in the sand in 2007 regarding their culture.

A combination of good recruiting, good coaching and good culture wins premierships. Good science and medical staff is important too of course.

Reply #63
TBF Malthouse has won one premiership in the last 20 years.

Only a few years ago and not with a star studded list, and runner up the next year.
We would take it.

Their middle was very good, They had the best mark in the league and a pretty good number 2. Great run off half back too. I think it was a very good side supported by the highest cost footy department going around and spending on footy departments correlates very highly with ladder position.

They had three or four who played out of their skins and have never been able to reproduce it since, like Essendon's "baby bombers" side who beat us in 1993.
It's the sign of a good coach.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #64

Hmm, that is a very rational answer B4L, but I was preferring the irrational like some common sports science.

If only it was that easy, or we could just buy players like we did in the70's and 80's.
The thing is that we all hoped we'd turned the corner with our recruiting but none of our first rounders from the last five years are certain to make the grade and Lucas, Watson and Bootsma are looking increasingly unlikely.
Menzel looks the goods and Cripps obviously needs time, but there's no indication yet that we've lifted our game significantly.

I heard that Bootsma did quite well on the weekend.

Reply #65

I hope he comes on, but he has shown very little at senior level so far.

Reply #66

So do I
He's got a bit of football under his belt now but he has that body shape that will take a bit of time to develop.
He'll never be Arnold Schwarzenegger  but hopefully he can make it.....fear this may be his last season to prove it though.

Reply #67

He did some good things, and he did some bad things, all we can hope for is the bad diminishes over time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
On crack
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #69

[/quote]

at which niteclub?

Reply #70

So do I
He's got a bit of football under his belt now but he has that body shape that will take a bit of time to develop.
He'll never be Arnold Schwarzenegger  but hopefully he can make it.....fear this may be his last season to prove it though.

I haven't been impressed so far.
Buckley is also a scrawny runt but he had a real impact in his second career game and showed confidence and poise, like he belonged there.
I reckon Bootsma's on his last chance too, along with Lucas and Watson, if they still aren't showing much in year three or four it's odds on that they won't and we've got a history of hanging onto players for too long.