Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Frankston at Visy on Sat 12th April (Read 11396 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs. Frankston at Visy on Sat 12th April

Reply #15
2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Northern Blues   3.5  7.7  11.12  15.12 (102)
Frankston   2.2  4.6  9.8  15.9 (99)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Bell 3 Waite 2 White 2 Johnson 2 Thomas  Wilson  Giles  Wood  Reynolds  McLean
Frankston: Matheson 4 Haretuku 3 Cavarra 2 Alwan 2 Lourey  Potts  Hockey  Tynan

BEST:
Northern Blues: McLean Bell Docherty White Holman Wood
Frankston: Haretuku Hockey Kitchin Matheson Newman Pollard

Interesting indeed, considering Baggers' comments about McLean.

From the VFL: "Brock McLean led the way for the Northern Blues with 36 disposals, Tom Bell had 30 (three goals) and Sam Docherty 26, with White, Nick Holman and Cameron Wood (47 hitouts) among their best." Sounds like Tommy Bell wants to be back for next week. Does not sound like Garlett or Waite are ready for recalls.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
Ironic how the seniors are fairing that Preston has had (1) an awesome start to 2014 and (2) the first year kids are delivering more than any crop in recent memory. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #17
2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Northern Blues   3.5  7.7  11.12  15.12 (102)
Frankston   2.2  4.6  9.8  15.9 (99)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Bell 3 Waite 2 White 2 Johnson 2 Thomas  Wilson  Giles  Wood  Reynolds  McLean
Frankston: Matheson 4 Haretuku 3 Cavarra 2 Alwan 2 Lourey  Potts  Hockey  Tynan

BEST:
Northern Blues: McLean Bell Docherty White Holman Wood
Frankston: Haretuku Hockey Kitchin Matheson Newman Pollard

Interesting indeed, considering Baggers' comments about McLean.

From the VFL: "Brock McLean led the way for the Northern Blues with 36 disposals, Tom Bell had 30 (three goals) and Sam Docherty 26, with White, Nick Holman and Cameron Wood (47 hitouts) among their best." Sounds like Tommy Bell wants to be back for next week. Does not sound like Garlett or Waite are ready for recalls.

Thanks CRASH. I would agree (for a change!!!) with all the best players mentioned. Maybe not in that order, but I do agree... and as I said in my report, I believe it was Brock's best game for the year but I have seen him do much better for the NBs. Glad Nick Holman made the better players. Bell left nothing out there... gave his all. Until moved White was the best forward on the ground (for us)... Haretuku tore Watson apart. Folks are going to be impressed if Docherty brings to the seniors what I have seen in the NBs over the past two weeks - especially his disposal, has a knack for choosing the best option. Wish we could fast forward his match fitness... but to be honest, and in light of how the seniors are doing, I'd give him a gig next week... even as the sub. ALthough I think Brock has still got a little way to go, also, in light of how the seniors did today I'd bring him in. I'd bring in Dinger next week as well. Wood must be close to an upgrade. White would deserve a recall on today's effort but probably won't get it... when up forward you would have thought Waite was playing 2nd fiddle to him! Led and marked well ...just like a real forwrd does!!!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18
Thanks for the report baggers.

Something to look forward too

Reply #19
Ironic how the seniors are fairing that Preston has had (1) an awesome start to 2014 and (2) the first year kids are delivering more than any crop in recent memory.

Agree... but I would temper any enthusiasm with the fact that we could have quite easily lost today as we did wilt under the Frangertown pressure in the last qtr after holding sway for most of the day (led most of the day by 2-3 gls). A few of our blokes were very tired in the last. But a win is a win is a win and this group has a dash of relentlessness about them... you can feel they hate to lose. No softies.

I feel a whole lot better, though, about the likes of Cripps, Holman, Giles, Sheehan and Reynolds so far compared to what I saw of Mitchell, McCarthy & Co early in their NBs (Bullants) careers.

Reply #20
But they didn't lose.  And a kid in his second game slotted one after the siren to win it.  The seniors can't kick goals from 30 out in front when they are 50 metres clear.

You either have it or you don't.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #21

Byrne didn't play in the Development Side. Possibly being managed.

Reply #22
But they didn't lose.  And a kid in his second game slotted one after the siren to win it.  The seniors can't kick goals from 30 out in front when they are 50 metres clear.

You either have it or you don't.

Bingo! This lot did not want to surrender last week when 6 goals down and did not want to lose being a goal down with seconds to go today. I guess I just don't want to get too carried away as I am losing faith in our club's ability to develop not only future footballers but more importantly develop blokes who have an attitude to winning (every contest, every minute, every quarter etc) that is non-negotiable.

Do we really have the people at our club who can develop resilience and mental toughness in our players? I am beginning to seriously question (whether we have) this imperative deeply needed in any successful sporting culture.

Reply #23
Much appreciated review Baggers. Bit of light at the end of the tunnel with most of those new blokes. A few more years of that sort of recruiting and you never know!

Reply #24
Did Bell use the ball well?....he will always play well vs kids from the VFL, he is too big and powerful for most of them and can crash and bash his way through but when he tries the same stuff at AFL level he gestsfound out and then gets sloppy by foot.
We probably needs his vigour vs the Dogs but I need to know he is cleaning up his disposal......Wood is a given IMO...Warnock was just ok today vs a spud in Spencer but didnt give us much 1st class use of the footy and IMO isnt the answer.

Docherty match fit or not comes in and I would have thoughts about Giles...our defense sucks and I reckon Giles might help improve our run and provide a taller 3rd defender. Melbourne copied the estbablsiedh method fo beating us with three taller forwards...Dunn was too big for Touhy and we lacked that 3rd taller defender.

Reply #25
ATM I'd be very reluctant to bring in too many more unmolested newbies and have them sample the toxic seniors culture. In fact, while we're at it, get Cripps, Graham and Buckley back to the NBs as soon as possible, they've seen too much already!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
Any reports on this game?  Did anyone go?  

NBs win by 3 pts with a kick after the siren by Luke Reynolds. 35 out, 45 degree angle, right side for a left footer - never in doubt. Confident and strong shot which was pretty good for a kid surrounded by Frankston players shouting all kinds of rubbish at him. Whole side gathered around him after the goal. Good spirit.

The NBs were 2 kicks up at 3/4 time and held sway for most of the day but Frangertown (Goos got them super pumped for the last qtr) gave it their all and it made for a highly entertaining and exciting final qtr.

Only decided to go to this game at the last minute instead of going to the MCG... call it a gut feel. Glad I did.

Brief run down:

Blaine Johnson - did some heavy and strong work at important times. Still rough around the edges but has a good work ethic and attitude.
Brock McLean - improved on last week. Still not back to his dominant best but would have been his best effort this year. 50/50 for a recall.
Matthew Watson - beaten by Khan Hartuku (how didn't this bloke get an AFL gig?). Usual stuff. Slow but when he has the aggott his kicking is good. Nothing to get excited about.
Nick Holman - a shining light. Did some really good things and seems to be getting the tempo. Thinks like a footballer. Stood up when serious heat was on in the final qtr.
Andrew McInnes - usual good negating stuff but little else.
Cameron Wood - solid game. Seemed to tire a little. Kicked a ripper out of the pack early in the game. Good work around the ground. Fair ruck work.
Luke Reynolds - like this kid. Great left foot kick (but aint they all, those left footers?). Looks like a footballer. Bit green but gee, if he develops as he should - good stuff.
Tom Bell - absolutely tried his heart out. Tried too hard at times and tried to do it on his own when things got tough. Delivered one of those bursts out of the pack but with little awareness got caught and dropped the ball - crowd groan. Kicked a ripper goal also from about 55 out on an angle. Really worked hard. Great attitude.
Josh Bootsma - actually thought this was better from him. Some of his defensive / spoiling work was really good. Slight improvement. Gave his all.
Simon White - one of the best on the ground. Until moved into defence in the last qtr (strange decision) was our best forward.
Ciaran Sheehan - improved again on last week - only his 2nd proper game of AFL and, mostly, you wouldn't know it. Strong at the contest. Got that Irish really go for it thing we expect. Disposal pretty good. Like him.
Dennis Armfield - what is wrong with Den Den? He should be tearing this comp a new one. Just playing to get fitness? For what he can do and is capable of, he was okay. Very little dash. Coached asked him for dash in the last qtr and he really didn't deliver.
Cameron Giles - not as conspicuous as last week, but what he does (somewhat like Reynolds) he does well.
Sam Docherty - tired a bit again but gee, when this bloke gets the aggott in his hands his disposal and footy smarts come to the fore. Made less mistakes than last week when tiring. Is going to be a beaut.
Tom Temay - not as influential as last week but did suffer a little from poor delivery into the forward line when he was there. Nothing special.
Jaryd Waite - kicked a couple of dead easy ones and missed some even easier ones. Didn't dominate as you would have expected but did work hard though I wonder if he's nearing the end of the road - got eased out of position by a younger opponent too many times.
Jeff Garlett - I expected Jeffy to tear it up. He didn't. Was hardly noticed until the tempo picked up then he did go in harder. Shouldn't get a recall on what he dished up today.

If I think of anything more I'll post it. I'm hungry!

Have a pie or three.

Nice report Baggers - wish I had joined you instead of going to the G.

Reply #27
Did Bell use the ball well?....he will always play well vs kids from the VFL, he is too big and powerful for most of them and can crash and bash his way through but when he tries the same stuff at AFL level he gestsfound out and then gets sloppy by foot.
We probably needs his vigour vs the Dogs but I need to know he is cleaning up his disposal......Wood is a given IMO...Warnock was just ok today vs a spud in Spencer but didnt give us much 1st class use of the footy and IMO isnt the answer.

Docherty match fit or not comes in and I would have thoughts about Giles...our defense sucks and I reckon Giles might help improve our run and provide a taller 3rd defender. Melbourne copied the estbablsiedh method fo beating us with three taller forwards...Dunn was too big for Touhy and we lacked that 3rd taller defender.

EB1, good question re Dinger. To be brutally honest, I think he is a bloke who will be better back home in Qld. He'd likely find another leg when playing there. Although today's stats and endeavour reflect well on him in the NBs, and make no mistake he really gave everything, he's not gonna be our answer or a bloke who can take a game by the throat. Nuh.

Wood is better than folks think. This bloke has got more ability than he and others believe. I've seen him two weeks in a row and am convinced all he needs is 'angry' and determined focus to take the next step. Today for the NBs he was there all the way.

Agree re Docherty. Enough playing with the kids. But it might take him time to get into stride...

Reply #29
ATM I'd be very reluctant to bring in too many more unmolested newbies and have them sample the toxic seniors culture. In fact, while we're at it, get Cripps, Graham and Buckley back to the NBs as soon as possible, they've seen too much already!

So, don't play any of our young blokes until Malthouse goes?  Sounds like a plan Cookie  ;)

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball