Skip to main content
Topic: CV and mad panic behaviour (Read 435109 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CV and mad panic behaviour

Reply #1905
EB, I read somewhere that there was much funding and cooperation from the West, including Australia btw, for research in China  into viruses including Covid. Maybe we have ourselves to blame, at least partly.
I read that initially Cookie when Covid appeared, we were doing some lab work in Geelong related to Chinese research. We pay everywhere to keep the red/northern hordes at bay and even donate to terrorist friendly countries like Indonesia so they wont invade us. We talk tough standing next to the USA meanwhile Twiggy Forrest is entertaining the same Chinese we are talking tough too and making a fortune out of our dirt(Fortescue) and collecting squillions in franking credits.
Its just contradictions everywhere and you really cant trust anyone when the money gets big....

Reply #1906
Mrs Baggers is negotiating 3 days from home, 2 from the office and there is good support for this... and she aint Robinson Crusoe.
@Baggers  As the Mandalorian states, I suspect for a good percentage of staff "This is the way!"

Through my R&D work I get to talk with a lot of the top end of town, State & Fed politicians and bureaucrats, legal eagles mostly in IP and Corporate Law, Execs and Tech Investors, all of them without exception do not expect the full workforce to return to the big office blocks within the next two or three years, maybe ever, they have even warned tenants not to expect more than about 40% of staff compared to pre-COVID for at least the next 18 months. (Most of the food, beverage and service facilities are sub-leased in the CBD office blocks, these people get a surprising amount of inside knowledge from the favourite customer.) Even more surprising, even when the office block in not in the CBD it won't be like it was before, they fully intend to pick the eyes out of the best of both worlds!

Obviously there will be industries that cannot work like this, health, manufacturing, etc., etc.. But if you count beans you can count them anywhere, banking is just a button press, invoices and delivery dockets the same, if you consult finances or shift shares you can do it from your hammock, and it's surprising how many people do this type of work. Good luck to them I say, unfortunately I can't join in but I get other benefits like freeways full of empty space!

There will be a price, international travel is probably never going to be cheap or simple ever again, big events like trade expos and conferences are probably going the way of dinosaurs, business junkets are kiboshed for ever, I'll probably never sit face to face with some of best international friends ever again enjoying one of their local beverages! Sinking a pint over Zoom just ain't the same!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1908
Why have you gone back 10 months to bring back this post??
Doh! Coz Im a DH and clicked on the wrong page! Apologies
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1909
I’m just waiting for the Victorian opposition to call for thousands of foreign fruit pickers to be allowed into the State to help out farmers. I heard a farmers’ spokesman advocating that. He said other States are doing this so there should be no problem doing it here. Well ... just 1 problem. Other States are relying on private security to manage quarantine. Given that police are now supervising quarantine hotels, there’s a maximum capacity of 200 or so. As the Liberals were in the vanguard of slamming the Victorian Government for giving this sensitive responsibility to private security, it’ll be hard for them to argue private security is the answer. But as politicians are no strangers to hypocrisy, I’m sure they’ll make the argument without embarrassment.

Reply #1910
No social distancing at the mass protest in the city today.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #1911
China have decided CoVid came from labs at Fort Detrick in the USA and not Wuhan live markets, meanwhile Brazil have suggested the Chinese vaccine isnt as effective as promised which is shorthand for saying its about as effective as sucking a butter menthol.

Reply #1912
And again, the culprit for this global misery? 

Reply #1913
China have decided CoVid came from labs at Fort Detrick in the USA and not Wuhan live markets, meanwhile Brazil have suggested the Chinese vaccine isnt as effective as promised which is shorthand for saying its about as effective as sucking a butter menthol.
I have lost all respect for the Chinese, they are taking the piss and treating us and the world like fools.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1914

I read a while back that covid research was being done in US  facilities up until a few years ago,  I think during Obama's time. He cut the funding and stopped it and it was transferred to China, where it continued with US institutional support as well as from other sources including Australia. Chinese scientists have been involved from the earliest stages both in the US and other places.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #1915
I read a while back that covid research was being done in US  facilities up until a few years ago,  I think during Obama's time. He cut the funding and stopped it and it was transferred to China, where it continued with US institutional support as well as from other sources including Australia. Chinese scientists have been involved from the earliest stages both in the US and other places.
That would be SARS and MERS research I presume?

SARS-CoV-2 is a novel virus, new to science in 2020.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1916
Cookie, I'm inclined to more support the theory that Covid19 was developed by the Chinese Government for military purposes and  some how by accident found its way out of the laboratory rather than the live market theory.

Reply #1917
And, for a considered assessment:

Its closest relative in nature is the RaTG13 virus, which was discovered in horseshoe bats in southwest China’s Yunnan province. The 96.2% genetic match between the two makes it highly likely that COVID-19 also originated in the bat colonies of China’s southwest border regions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-who-china-factbox-idUSKBN29O08P
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1918
Cookie, I'm inclined to more support the theory that Covid19 was developed by the Chinese Government for military purposes and  some how by accident found its way out of the laboratory rather than the live market theory.

I underwent NBC warfare training when I was a young bloke and I can’t really see how COVID could be effective for military purposes.  Yes, it would over-extend ICUs, but it would do so indiscriminately and only as long as as there wasn’t a vaccine.

There are so many more effective ways to gain a military advantage that it’s hard to see why anyone would bother trying to manipulate a virus.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1919

I tend toward that theory too EB but the Chinese probably obtained much intellectual property and input for their research and development from western institutions  according to some of the sources I read a while ago. I  will try and find it out.
Reality always wins in the end.