Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Preparations: AFL 2021 R3 Carlton vs Fremantle at Marvel (Read 15554 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Preparations: AFL 2021 R3 Carlton vs Fremantle at Marvel

Reply #30
With no Fyfe there will be no excuses, we should win easily, I'd view anything less than 5 goals as a poor effort.
GWS are a rabble and Cameron will be lucky to last the season..

Laughed like a fat spider when I heard Cameron threaten plenty of changes to playing personnel for their next outing. The only change GWS needs, Cameron, is you out of the place. Been saying it for years... not a senior coach's dot. Good assistant? Maybe. Senior coach?  :))  :))  :))
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #31
Casboult has been ordinary the first two weeks so McDonald deserves a shot...his second half against Richmond was not too bad.

Can Plowman survive the cull this week? He was absolutely putrid against Collingwood.

One of Setterfield or Newnes probably goes out and I'd be getting Stocker in this week. Freo's smalls aren't big names but were very good yesterday and we really don't have any of those small defender types who can lock down on an opponent.....Schultz will take Plowman to the cleaners.

With Fisher, Fogarty and Gibbons, I can't see how Betts comes in yet. And on that Fogarty has shown so far that he's going to be a very good player for us.

Reply #32
Agree, I’m done with bullcrap excuses - oh we don’t have Charlie C, oh McG is out, oh If only JSOS was there, etcetera etcetera.

Are we really expecting Charlie to play again?  I'm not.

Reply #33
Dodge...IMO any games we get will just be a bonus....another reason why we really need Harry to come on in a big way this season. McGovern will be on the trade table at season's end unless he improves dramatically...and even then he won't be worth much....even more frustrating when you see the form of Shane McAdam for Adelaide.

Reply #34
Unless something changes, like we play 4q, we won't beat Freo. It's early days I know, but I've seen little to suggest we're taking that next step as a team. Several individuals have impressed but that will never get you over the line.

Freo had 2nd and 3rd teir players step up supported by the likes of ever reliable Mundy and Fyfe (pre inj). Their CP numbers were impressive. An area we've fallen away in for long periods. Resulting in coughing up a run of goals and ultimately the game. We haven't shown the tenacity to fight back like previously, which looks like a fitness issue.

I know it might only need a few small changes, and we've had PS injuries. However, IMO we haven't been able to cover or adapt adequately, despite the coming of age of our rebuild.

Dockers by 9 (please prove me wrong 🤞)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #35
Dodge...IMO any games we get will just be a bonus....another reason why we really need Harry to come on in a big way this season. McGovern will be on the trade table at season's end unless he improves dramatically...and even then he won't be worth much....even more frustrating when you see the form of Shane McAdam for Adelaide.
Yep  McAdam is showing plenty, his marking is spectacular, would have allowed Martin to play further midfield time, just making the McGovern deal look even worse.
Hope Krueger the other player from those State league picks from Geelong doesn't amount to much...

Reply #36
Casboult has been ordinary the first two weeks so McDonald deserves a shot...his second half against Richmond was not too bad.

Can Plowman survive the cull this week? He was absolutely putrid against Collingwood.

One of Setterfield or Newnes probably goes out and I'd be getting Stocker in this week. Freo's smalls aren't big names but were very good yesterday and we really don't have any of those small defender types who can lock down on an opponent.....Schultz will take Plowman to the cleaners.

With Fisher, Fogarty and Gibbons, I can't see how Betts comes in yet. And on that Fogarty has shown so far that he's going to be a very good player for us.

Seriously, the whole defence was poor but no point shooting Plow and co unless you put the firing squad on the midfield first.

That's where the defensive pressure must start....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
I would be playing the Rock Lobster this week Cottrell no. 46 as he's the last bloke to show some spirit and grit after that late goal last year and we drop him....he can take Murph's spot...sorry mate we can't gift you a pensioners ticket to the 300 club. Don't need another Mick Martyn
Doc 1 tackle in 2 games...now thats seriously embarrassing from a co captain..wtf especially in a backline thats leaking easy goals...

Williamson needs to go back to the 2's seriously soft..and one sided only....

If I was journo at the presser I would ask Mr nice DT....do you get your guys to practice on their non-preferred sides for extended periods like Tom Mitchell did in the VFL with the Hawks before he became a 3 time premiership player and kicks more with his left foot than right in later years?

What did our skills coaches do in the 6 months offseason to address the issue of one sided players like Williamson?.. He has been caught stone dead 3 times Holding the ball trying to stop and prop back to his left foot.... amazing an AFL player can get to this level as a one sided player as a half back flanker(maybe a key position player can)

Footy scouts know quick time which players are one sided..I saw .Saad v Richmond kick a pinpoint 45m right foot pass along the boundary line and hit a target...thats skill but now the common std....what a difference between our average performers and elite player like Saad we bring in..we are miles away

Get some hard nuts in Bam Bam Kennedy needs to play..at least he has a body that can hurt/impact

Ugly if we lose to Freo...last rites for the season

Reply #38
Kennedy, Cottrell, Stocker......get all 3 of them in for this week.

Reply #39
I don't know the rules, but Kennedy and Cottrell are Rookies - can they just come in and play?

Reply #40

Doc 1 tackle in 2 games...now thats seriously embarrassing from a co captain..wtf especially in a backline thats leaking easy goals...

Mr nice DT....do you get your guys to practice on their non-preferred sides for extended periods like Tom Mitchell did in the VFL with the Hawks before he became a 3 time premiership player and kicks more with his left foot than right in later years?

What did our skills coaches do in the 6 months offseason to address the issue of one sided players like Williamson?.. He has been caught stone dead 3 times Holding the ball trying to stop and prop back to his left foot.

Get some hard nuts in Bam Bam Kennedy needs to play...at least he has a body that can hurt/impact

👍
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #41
It's not just about selection, it's about the position they play. Setterfield on the wing 19 meters gained???!!!???

While Walsh has done well on the ball, it looks as if he will need to be on the wing, so we have runners outside and Setterfield inside, but does that make us too big and slow.

What about Ed Curnow? Still good enough, plays his guts out, but by playing him on the wing do we do a Bolton and play Ed out of position? If we bring Stocker in, are we going to play him inside on the ball? Or is he a Williamson replacement? Again playing a natural midfielder out of position.

Can we play Ed of a HFF flank that pushes into the mid after the ball has been bounced and Cripps goes to HFF and plays the lead up to the wings for a rebound. He has the hands to take an over head mark then hopefully feed of to the runners.

This way we can play Cripps as a forward half inside mid against a HBF and Stocker (If playing BP) can be the same in the back half.

Reply #42
Bolton tried to turn Ed into a forward towards the end of his tenure.....Curnow's best position is and always will be as a run-with tagger...play him on Mundy this week. Mundy picked up a lazy 35 possessions yesterday....he's still a beautiful user of the footy and simply can't be allowed to get that many touches.

Stocker should get the gig on Lachie Schultz....very dangerous and tough small forward.

If Murphy is being played predominantly as a small forward, then drop him....with Gibbons, Fisher and Fogarty doing the same thing, we can't carry him. If Setterfield isn't playing as an insider then bring Kennedy in. Freo's young midfield with Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong etc will kill us around the ground.

Reply #43
It's not just about selection, it's about the position they play. Setterfield on the wing 19 meters gained???!!!???

While Walsh has done well on the ball, it looks as if he will need to be on the wing, so we have runners outside and Setterfield inside, but does that make us too big and slow.

What about Ed Curnow? Still good enough, plays his guts out, but by playing him on the wing do we do a Bolton and play Ed out of position? If we bring Stocker in, are we going to play him inside on the ball? Or is he a Williamson replacement? Again playing a natural midfielder out of position.

Can we play Ed of a HFF flank that pushes into the mid after the ball has been bounced and Cripps goes to HFF and plays the lead up to the wings for a rebound. He has the hands to take an over head mark then hopefully feed of to the runners.

This way we can play Cripps as a forward half inside mid against a HBF and Stocker (If playing BP) can be the same in the back half.
Lets talk about Setterfield and where soft players end up.........usually on a wing. Not sure what happened over summer but he has a bad case of the handbrake harry whites and been pulling up short in contests and avoiding contact.
I agree with most he needs to get back to the coalface but we cant send him there the way he has been playing, he is just too non contested at the minute and needs some time in the twos to get some confidence.
I think he is a decent player but one who is out of form and giving him somewhere easy to play isnt helping him or the team.
His role is to support Cripps and become a top big bodied mid with us, I see him as a Josh Dunkley type who might not be silky smooth but can play that support mid role to Cripps as well as lock onto an opposing tall mid who is giving us trouble much like Dunkley does for the Dogs.
Its really important he makes it as a top line player and I hope the coaching staff are working hard to get him back on track and attacking the ball properly.

Reply #44
Don't like the idea of taking Walsh out from the coalface just to accomodate Setters tbh. Seems like a retrograde step to me.
Reality always wins in the end.