Skip to main content
Topic: CV and mad panic behaviour (Read 451546 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CV and mad panic behaviour

Reply #7380
The issue is that the data used to support both sets of numbers were used to paint a picture.

The adverse reactions to the vaccines under reported as coincidences.  Likewise the number of people significantly impacted by covid were over stated.

The vaccine companies (all) made wide sweeping shonky claims afmbout efficacy to go with it and you end up with a scenario where most people questioned what the best outcome was going to be. 

When you strip it all bare, covid was no walk in the park.  It isn't the killer it was made out to be either but it left the general public questioning what was the lesser of two evils and real doctors were silenced on the matter and it became politicised.

Where you sit in any of it is subjective and largely determined by personal choices but I saw some extremely autocratic behaviour which I'm hoping never gets repeated.

I think there is a fair bit of hindsight going on, 3 Leos. At the time, we just didn't know. Worst case scenario seemed plausible and frightening.
Science and pollies were all on the back foot and unsure, and most were doing their best.
I don't recall any vaccine manufacturer claiming 100% safety; they spoke of the potential -- albeit low -- risk for some people, hence staying in surgeries/pharmacies for 15 minutes after the innoculation before leaving. But as troubling as it was to know, there was a low risk for some folks, as there is with every medication/vaccine.
In hindsight some pollies overreacted and some under-reacted. Few got it right - in hindsight.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7381
I didn't enjoy the lock downs etc., but they were the right decision, given that nobody knew exactly what we were dealing with.

Reply #7382
The question will be..."what will we do next time"?

Reply #7383
Awesome, reality and honest reporting providing more ammunition for the tin hat denier crowd.  Yay.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #7384
I think there is a fair bit of hindsight going on, 3 Leos. At the time, we just didn't know. Worst case scenario seemed plausible and frightening.
Science and pollies were all on the back foot and unsure, and most were doing their best.
I don't recall any vaccine manufacturer claiming 100% safety; they spoke of the potential -- albeit low -- risk for some people, hence staying in surgeries/pharmacies for 15 minutes after the innoculation before leaving. But as troubling as it was to know, there was a low risk for some folks, as there is with every medication/vaccine.
In hindsight some pollies overreacted and some under-reacted. Few got it right - in hindsight.

Not really Baggers.   By the time the vaccines came around we had a much better view of the virus and its potential to cause harm.  The worst case scenario wasn't happening.  That much was obvious in health care. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7385
My friend and former colleague, Prof Catherine Bennett, has written an informative article about how Australia dropped the COVID ball after a very promising start:

https://www.bmj.com/content/380/bmj.p469

Catherine starts with;

“Even with its borders open and widespread infection happening for the better part of a year, Australia’s covid-19 mortality is 736 deaths per million—less than a quarter of Italy, the UK, and US, and just over half of Canada and Denmark.1 Applying the death rates of other countries on 20 February 2022 to the Australian population provides a rough indication of the lives saved through border closures and other measures to contain outbreaks in the first two years of the pandemic. If Australia had experienced the same cumulative fatality rate as Denmark, which had around 733 deaths per million people, then its death count would have been over 19 000, whereas it stood at 4901 on 20 February 2022.1 All other large western countries also fared worse, with mortality in Italy, the UK, and US exceeding 2500 per million people.1 Australia saved upwards of 60 000 lives by avoiding those very high death tolls.”

To reiterate, COVID mortality in Australia was 736 deaths per million compared to in excess of 2500 deaths per million in the USA and the UK.  The worst case scenario wasn’t happening in Australia because of the very effective measures put in place by Australian Governments.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7386
To reiterate, COVID mortality in Australia was 736 deaths per million compared to in excess of 2500 deaths per million in the USA and the UK.  The worst case scenario wasn’t happening in Australia because of the very effective measures put in place by Australian Governments.
Yes, our natural geographic isolation was in effect a test case for the efficacy of lockdowns.

The next time they should really close boarders to travellers harder and sooner, but I fear the screaming lunatics will again influence politicians and disrupt efforts to save lives.

The hard evidence, the numbers, confirm isolation works to slow / delay transmission, there is no debate!

Ultimately, the severity and acceleration of the pandemic came down to global politics and local bureaucracy.

We should all be vigilant, Avian Flu is spreading, just this week there are reports of dead birds lining highways here in Melbourne around Werribee and Carrum Downs sewerage works. Not just one or two birds as is usual, but dozens and dozens over extended distances. Influenza as a starting point is many times more deadly than Coronavirus.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7387
Yes, our natural geographic isolation was in effect a test case for the efficacy of lockdowns.

The next time they should really close boarders to travellers harder and sooner, but I fear the screaming lunatics will again influence politicians and disrupt efforts to save lives.

The hard evidence, the numbers, confirm isolation works to slow / delay transmission, there is no debate!

Ultimately, the severity and acceleration of the pandemic came down to global politics and local bureaucracy.

We should all be vigilant, Avian Flu is spreading, just this week there are reports of dead birds lining highways here in Melbourne around Werribee and Carrum Downs sewerage works. Not just one or two birds as is usual, but dozens and dozens over extended distances. Influenza as a starting point is many times more deadly than Coronavirus.
A new variant of CoVid called " Flirt" has also hit our shores....not sure what the symptoms are and if it has anything to do with the name?🤔

Reply #7388
A new variant of CoVid called " Flirt" has also hit our shores....not sure what the symptoms are and if it has anything to do with the name?🤔
Yes, and I've just got family coming back from the states!

But even so, some of the same people who predicted COVID about a decade before it happened, just a year or two after MERS they tried to warn authorities who largely ignored them. They think if the same mutation rates follow the same patterns they are predicting another pandemic with Avian Flu by the Mid 2030s, it really only a matter of when not if. The science was based on good evidence of what had happened in the evolution of the bugs between SARS in 2003 and MERS in 2012.

With these predictions the mutation part is random, they openly admit it could never become virulent or it could be deadly tomorrow, the problem is do you ignore the risk, like we ignored them last time?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7389
Just to dot point what im saying.  The vaccines were garbage the lockdowns not so much.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson