Skip to main content
Topic: RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!  (Read 45074 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R4 - Carlton vs Saints @ NZ - (Post match party)

Reply #105
Playing on a smaller ground means less space to kick too and more handballs result. There was always going to be more handballs especially since the numbers of stoppages skyrocketed as well.

Different ground + Different conditions = Different style of play.

Doubt you'll see the same handball:kick ratio next week back on the 'G. ;)

Persuasive, but well off the mark. 

For a start, we had around the same total kicks as in our three previous games but our handpassing increased by about 30%.

St Kilda must not have realised that the ground was smaller because they had their lowest number of handpasses for the season.

If Malthouse goes back to the kick at all costs approach, we'll cop an absolute flogging next week.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!

Reply #106
Cripps and Bell did very well in the second half. I haven't seen the first half yet. Henderson worked himself into the game.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #107
Spread out you two..I was first on the Cripps bandwagon and wanted him predraft :D.....

I did a quick search and this is what i found.

Thank Freo for the big bodied mid craze.......I had Cripps at 30-50 but he will shorten up to inside 20 IMO because he is the aggressive running extractor that rivals a player like Mundy. I could see Malthouse wanting Cripps ....IMO his skills dont match up with pick 13 and like I said previously I see him as another Tom Bell type that really should be taken at 39/51 and that I would prefer a more skillful player at 13.
Pratty's man Jansen will probably be there at 51 and if I wanted the raw big bodied mid then I would be using that later pick to get him....

and i also found this...
I rate Emma Quayle more than most. When it comes to draft stuff especially.

I rate Cripps and i brought his name up a well before the buzz got started about the type of player we needed. I dismissed all chances of getting him as there were plenty rated ahead of him. He was rated in the pick 15-30 range. However, i was unaware that he was not in top nick at draft camp. My interests in him are increasing again as i think we need his type to compliment the players we have...and he'd be an upgrade on the likes of Bell/Robinson in terms of footy smarts.

IF we were to get our big bodied mid with our first pick, it opens up the door dramtically with who we can take from there. There will be plenty of tall KPPs available at our next 2 picks. Whether that is someone wanting a second chance Tippett/Thorpe or a kid with potential Fort/Hourigan/Gardiner/Marsh/Brown.

Not long to go now...

Your witness. :P

Reply #108
I did a quick search and this is what i found.

and i also found this...
Your witness. :P

Good get, you have had a rough patch with Hughes/Rodgers and now Mick all leaving you hung out to dry :D...I think I changed my mind on Cripps a couple of days before the actual draft but didnt rate him as highly earlier like you have cheekily pointed out because his kicking wasnt great.
I will pay your tenacity on this one and look forward to returning the favour ;D

Reply #109
2nd best to Judd ever for contested football and he had 11 tackles to go with it. If that doesn't answer some questions than nothing ever will.

Just a correction here, Murphy had 3 tackles with his 24 contested.
Cripps had 11 tackles with his 23 contested.

;)

Reply #110
Cripps could become anything and has huge potential. However his skills by foot are a real worry. How do we find so many guys that can't kick an egg. I though as a kid, that was the first thing you learned how to do.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #111
Good get, you have had a rough patch with Hughes/Rodgers and now Mick all leaving you hung out to dry :D...I think I changed my mind on Cripps a couple of days before the actual draft but didnt rate him as highly earlier like you have cheekily pointed out because his kicking wasnt great.
I will pay your tenacity on this one and look forward to returning the favour ;D

You've had a rough patch with actually reading what i write. Instead you skim and assume you've got the gist of it. Your comments above are proof of that.

Better luck next time. ;)

Reply #112
Cripps could become anything and has huge potential. However his skills by foot are a real worry. How do we find so many guys that can't kick an egg. I though as a kid, that was the first thing you learned how to do.

What I like about my man Cripps..er sorry Kruds man Cripps :D is that he does play to his limitations much like Sam Mitchell did early and give the ball
off by hand more than attempting to kick the footy....Robbo and Bell were/are classic examples of players who should give off by hand more but dont and turn the footy over by foot...
As Cripps becomes a more experienced player like Mitchell i think he will kick the footy more and become and even better player..
Big test for him this week as I dont see the Pies ignoring him now he exposed good form.....Saints looked like they thought No Judd..you bewdy its going to be easy in the middle..

Reply #113
What I like about my man Cripps..er sorry Kruds man Cripps :D is that he does play to his limitations much like Sam Mitchell did early and give the ball
off by hand more than attempting to kick the footy....Robbo and Bell were/are classic examples of players who should give off by hand more but dont and turn the footy over by foot...
As Cripps becomes a more experienced player like Mitchell i think he will kick the footy more and become and even better player..
Big test for him this week as I dont see the Pies ignoring him now he exposed good form.....Saints looked like they thought No Judd..you bewdy its going to be easy in the middle..

I don't think the Pies would ignore him anyway. He had 35 against them in the pre-season i think. Kinda had a target on his back already.

Reply #114
I reckon they'll find it difficult to match up on him.
It won't be like tagging a mid where you block his run
Cripps will get right in the middle of things and extract.
Whoever they play on him will want to have a bit of strength about them.

....and if they pay him too much attention it will free up a few other blokes who can hurt them.

Reply #115
Just a correction here, Murphy had 3 tackles with his 24 contested.
Cripps had 11 tackles with his 23 contested.

;)

As mentioned previously, Murphy did his work with one guy continually up his lemon and another trying to poleaxe him.

Both excellent efforts, one under far more pressure.

Reply #116
I reckon they'll find it difficult to match up on him.
It won't be like tagging a mid where you block his run
Cripps will get right in the middle of things and extract.
Whoever they play on him will want to have a bit of strength about them.

....and if they pay him too much attention it will free up a few other blokes who can hurt them.

Moreover, Cripps hails from East Freo.

They can't spell 'soft' or 'backwards' down there. Hard as nails.

Something we lack.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #117
I know the answer has been posted before but where's a link i can download or stream today's (and other) matches from please?

Cheers.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #118
You've had a rough patch with actually reading what i write. Instead you skim and assume you've got the gist of it. Your comments above are proof of that.

Better luck next time. ;)

Hughes and Rodgers is a sore point isnt it. ;D....I never fail to get a bite when I dangle the line...you must have been smarting over our last exchange on Mick/Boekhorst
to go back through the vault to chase down that Cripps thread....that makes me feel comfortable in knowing I dont need luck in responding to your logic..

Reply #119
Cripps blew me away.  His tackling was crush-tastic.  And his ability to stand up in a tackle and find away of giving off the ball in heavy traffic was astonishing.  Cripps was there for us when StKilda was ontop.  He kept up in the game.

Murph was fantastic.  He was smashed off the ball - as has been said here - but stood up, something he rarely does.  About time.

Rowe is a liability this year.  I would drop Bolt but give us something around the ground and is good in the ruck.  But his kicking is embarrassing.  Liam Jones tried hard, and should have kicked three, but like the Bolt, looses his bundle in front of goal.

Buckley's run was thrilling, even if he did stuff up a couple of times.  Buckley playing allows them to play Yazz through the middle and up forward.

Loved Hendo, but he needs to do that more often.  Same goes with Bell. Has the will, just needs to be more consistent and sort out his skills.

Gibbs - meh.  Can't deal with pressure.  Curnow got ontop of Stevens.  Carrots is shot.  Toooey continued his good form.  Same with Docherty.  Everitt mixes brilliance with some awful rubbish, but I like him in the team.  Simmo was Simmo.  Dicks reminded me of Laidler.  Broky is Lucas but can tackle and has smarts.

Jamo must be injured.  Thank God he played on Paddy.  Ellard played one of his best games.  Army murdered Savage and gave us run as well.  Wood played his best game and actually looked like a ruckman.

Overall, plenty to like.  We might even be able to put up a fight against the Scum. 

Dicks, Carrots, Rowe out for Jaksch, Judd and Menzel next week. 
In reality, though, if Menz and Judd are fit, they'll probably drop Dicks, Broky and maybe Ellard.