Skip to main content
Topic: Melbourne Storm (Read 9902 times) previous topic - next topic

Melbourne Storm

Just a thread for general Melbourne Storm discussions, I was a bit surprised to find we didn't already have one!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Melbourne Storm

Reply #1
I find the commentary around Josh Addo-Carr and his contract status as a bit bizarre.

Just a week or so back the NSW NRL Media Mafia turned on him, for failing to honour a pledge to return to Wests Tigers which expires if he doesn't return from "Bleak Town" to Wests Tigers this season. They basically labelled him a dog, and the labelled the decision a dog act, without explicitly using those words!

Now despite committing to Melbourne Storm for 2021 he has been seen visiting Canterbury-Bankstown, and all of a sudden it's love again and he is leaving the Melbourne Storm for a new Bulldogs home in 2022. The irony is, by delaying his return from 2021 to 2022 he has basically been able to wipe the Wests Tigers agreement and saddle up for a massive Canterbury-Bankstown cash cow deviating his final destination by less than 10km in the process!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
I find the commentary around Josh Addo-Carr and his contract status as a bit bizarre.

Just a week or so back the NSW NRL Media Mafia turned on him, for failing to honour a pledge to return to Wests Tigers which expires if he doesn't return from "Bleak Town" to Wests Tigers this season. They basically labelled him a dog, and the labelled the decision a dog act, without explicitly using those words!

Now despite committing to Melbourne Storm for 2021 he has been seen visiting Canterbury-Bankstown, and all of a sudden it's love again and he is leaving the Melbourne Storm for a new Bulldogs home in 2022. The irony is, by delaying his return from 2021 to 2022 he has basically been able to wipe the Wests Tigers agreement and saddle up for a massive Canterbury-Bankstown cash cow deviating his final destination by less than 10km in the process!

Yes, the Silver Fox was getting cold feet about West Tigers earlier in the year, but that Heads of Agreement meant they have the first option. The Tigers not coming to the table with an acceptable offer to Melbourne also helped and now it looks like they will get nothing.

Reply #3
Still no news on Cameron Smith? It's been very quiet there. I do hope he plays on (if he wants to) and we keep Harry Grant and Brandon Smith, but where do you play them all in 2021?

I have thought Cameron Smith could play half even if we lose Jarrome Hughes, or further back in the pack if we lose someone else.

Hope we end up keeping Cooper Johns, I think he will be a good player long term. There is quite a queue at the Storm for positions.

Reply #4
Still no news on Cameron Smith? It's been very quiet there. I do hope he plays on (if he wants to) and we keep Harry Grant and Brandon Smith, but where do you play them all in 2021?

I have thought Cameron Smith could play half even if we lose Jarrome Hughes, or further back in the pack if we lose someone else.

Hope we end up keeping Cooper Johns, I think he will be a good player long term. There is quite a queue at the Storm for positions.
I'd heard that Hughes is gone, it's a done deal. he'll be missed but the Storm are happy to let him go for a better offer they cannot match.

It's hard to see Storm retaining all the talent, they want Harry Grant back in and I think a season besides Cam would be perfect. I suppose they must also consider the future money needed to retain Pap, Munster, Hynes, etc., etc..  If at the end of 2021 they lose Cam as well as Josh that'll go a long way to secure the kids, as long as they can keep the wolves at bay until then!

Some rumours also that Brandon Smith is being courted for a 2022 move, apparently he has agreed to 1 year more despite having a get out clause if Cam plays on.

I suppose I can imagine Brandon leaving or being forced out which delivers Harry a spot besides Cameron.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
A bizarre thing for me is how the Storm players are always associate with Wests, it's a bit like our old days when Carlton players would "retire" to The Aints!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
The thing about Brandon Smith is that he can play multiple roles. The obvious position aside from Hooker is back at Lock.  If Jarome Hughes does go it will free up a position and enable us to keep Cameron Smith, Brandon Smith and Harry Grant in the one team. It may limit game time to Cooper Johns, but he will get his opportunities and learn a lot this coming year.

Given Queensland's Origin success, it is the likes of Christian Welch who opposition teams will target with offers (Broncos in particular). Harry Grant will get a long-term deal in Melbourne, but if the Broncos offer a big-money longer deal for someone like Welch it will be almost impossible to match. They may do the same for Felise Kaufusi, but I suspect it would be the Warriors or Cowboys more in his case. We have more coverage in the pack with Chris Lewis and Max King assuming they stay. Both can play Second Row or Lock, and additionally, Nicho Hynes is versatile enough to play from Second Row out to the Centres.

It will be an interesting offseason and we won't know until the roster is finalised. I would expect a couple of journeymen to find their way to the Storm again this year.

Reply #7
A bizarre thing for me is how the Storm players are always associate with Wests, it's a bit like our old days when Carlton players would "retire" to The Aints!

Interesting comparison, I would agree they are the 'old St Kilda' in today's NRL.  They have good juniors at times but obviously poor mangement.

Reply #8
Interesting to read Jarome Hughes is re-signing at The Storm, probably a positive sign of things happening behind the scenes because reports are he turned down a substantial offer to leave.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Interesting to read Jarome Hughes is resigning at The Storm, probably a positive sign of things happening behind the scenes because reports are he turned down a substantial offer to leave.

I think also the Storm system is very well set and the players know they have a strong roster. Even with Smith leaving the Storm will be a force in the NRL. When you go to the Sydney or Brisbane bubble then you lose that private life you can have in Melbourne, that is another factor for some players.

Reply #10
Interesting to read Jarome Hughes is resigning at The Storm, probably a positive sign of things happening behind the scenes because reports are he turned down a substantial offer to leave.

The joys of English grammar - 'Resigning' versus 'Re-signing' - what a difference a hyphen makes!
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #11
The joys of English grammar - 'Resigning' versus 'Re-signing' - what a difference a hyphen makes!
 Yes, best tell autocordwreck!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Sporting clubs are an enigma.

About 11am today Storm reported Munster and Grant out for two weeks.

A couple of hours later at 1:30pm, they posted highlights of training with a picture of Grant in full flight!

Of course, the training session was yesterday, but you'd think the club marketing division would be switched on to the idea Grant was out for two weeks!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Sporting clubs are an enigma.

About 11am today Storm reported Munster and Grant out for two weeks.

A couple of hours later at 1:30pm, they posted highlights of training with a picture of Grant in full flight!

Of course, the training session was yesterday, but you'd think the club marketing division would be switched on to the idea Grant was out for two weeks!

It's a loss but Brandon Smith goes to number 9 and assuming Papenhauzen plays, then Nicho Hynes can move to lock.

Reply #14
It's a loss but Brandon Smith goes to number 9 and assuming Papenhauzen plays, then Nicho Hynes can move to lock.
 Brandon Smith was suspended for a shoulder charge.
The Force Awakens!