Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 391456 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: US Presidential Election 2016

Reply #840
Fewer than the Clintons, if you believe the right-wing wingnuts.

Reply #841
Fewer than the Clintons, if you believe the right-wing wingnuts.

You seem to spend a lot of time reading the wing nuts?

Which is your favourite conspiracy theory?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #842
That Hillary orchestrated the fateful interlude between Monica and Bill so she would benefit from being seen as the victim of cheating.  What a Machiavellian character she is!

Reply #843
That Hillary orchestrated the fateful interlude between Monica and Bill so she would benefit from being seen as the victim of cheating.  What a Machiavellian character she is!

You should start your own conspiracy channel on YouTube. ;)

Reply #844
I like the one about Hillary and Obama being demons and smelling like sulfur. >:D

Reply #845
I tried, but FoxNews and Brietbart threatened to sue me for copyright infringement  ;D

Reply #846
I like the one about Hillary and Obama being demons and smelling like sulfur. >:D

Do they have reptilian genes as well?  :D

They may just have bad breath. I saw a TV ad today that claimed sulphur is the cause of it and offered their patent mouthwash as the cure!  ???

Reply #847
So who's the biggest slease?
The next President or the next President's husband. ::)

It's totally off the rails now. :(

Reply #848
So who's the biggest slease?
The next President or the next President's husband. ::)

It's totally off the rails now. :(

I must have a fairly low pain threshold - for me it went totally off the rails months ago.

Reply #849
I cannot remember hating a Democrat as much as I hate Hilary.
I always have hated republicans they stand for the exact opposite of what I personally want in a government, but I almost feel sorry for them with Trump, he is THAT bad

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #851

A friend of my late brother's brother in law worked for Hillary at the time.  She was taken by surprise but very quickly took charge and gave Bill his lines.  He reckoned that Hillary was the brains of the family and predicted then that she would become president.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #852
Just watching Veep, series 1, episode 4.  Selina Meyer, the VP, is worried that Gov. Danny Chung, a Chinese-American war hero, might replace her as VP.  She has a Trumpian hot-mic disaster after an interview, making an unwise comment that he isn't even an American.  When the news breaks while she attends a hospital after a disaster, she finds rednecks start praising her for telling it like it is, that this is America, not China.  After they stuff up with a vital Senator who withdraws support for her pet Bill for filibuster reform, they have to suck up to senators from the Border Caucus who want harsh laws to deal with undocumented Mexicans, even though Meyer is in favour of allowing them to stay.  Her aides meet with a couple of senators who complain that Mexicans are bad neighbours who come into your garden at night to crap a butt-full of drugs and beans on your flowers and that's why they need a 3000 mile border fence.  They say that will be great for the construction industry to which one of the aides responds that the only way to afford it would be to bring in immigrant workmen.  The other aide says they should be able to find a way to preserve the American identity and the senators rejoice.  The aides promise that Meyer will oppose immunity for any illegal immigrants who have been in the US more than 5 years and endorse the Border Caucus's position.  Meyer's boyfriend jokes that she should sneak in to visit him because his Asian neighbours don't like her. 

Wow!  This was in 2012 and predicted Trump 3 years later.  Yes, he'd gone full birther by then but the immigration issue and the excitement of rednecks thinking that Trump tells it like it is was totally nailed.

Reply #853
Interesting article about how irrational voting can be, examples being that Woodrow Wilson's vote plunged in beachfront towns affected by the "Jaws" shark attacks of 1916 and incumbent Presidential candidates get a bump in states where the NFL team wins: This is the best book to help you understand the wild 2016 campaign, Vox, 14/10.

It also suggests that the mostly direct election of the President increases the chances of a fool or knave winning when compared to a parliamentary system:

Most successful democracies have parliamentary governments — often backed by proportional electoral systems — leading to a politics that reenforces this tendency and avoids tipping points. In the American system, small shifts in public sentiment can lead to drastic changes — either Bush or Gore, either Clinton or Trump — whereas the Dutch or German electoral systems ensure that a small change in voting behavior leads to a small change in the composition of parliament. Any given party could put a fool or a knave forward as leader, and he might still win votes. But to exercise meaningful power he would need to negotiate with other coalition partners, which is hard to do if you’re a fool.

The American system has no such safeguard. If a fool or a knave secures the nomination of one of the major political parties, he has a pretty good chance of becoming president, at which point all bets are off.

When the office was originally designed by the framers of the Constitution, they meant for it to be an indirectly elected office whose holder would be selected by a collaborative meeting of Electoral College members, thus insulating it from popular whims. Strong democratic norms led rather swiftly to a system that more closely resembles direct election. But at various points in time, the process for nominating candidates served the role of structuring the public’s choices.

As E.E. Schattschneider wrote in his 1940s classic Party Government, “Democracy is not found in the parties but between the parties.”

But things change over time. The boss-led party system of Schattschneider’s day was replaced by a more open one in the 1970s, which, in turn, seems to have evolved back in a more elite-driven direction in the 1980s and ’90s. Today, however, in part thanks to technology-driven shifts in the media, the party system is opening up again, and party elites are losing control.

Reply #854
Interesting those rumors about trump's motives for running won't go away.

He comes out of this process with his business career now in a much netter place than it was when he nominated.

Trump is all about Trump, people would be very wise to remember that, not that any other Politician is better.
The Force Awakens!