Skip to main content
Topic: Radio Memories (Read 8560 times) previous topic - next topic

Radio Memories

For those in a ' certain demographic' (and based on comments over the years, there are a few!) who originally came from Melbourne, you might remember the days when 'The Greater 3UZ' ruled the airwaves.  Like so many other iconic stations around the country that we all grew up with, it has long gone with a totally different identity.

Tomorrow (Sunday) it is 90 years since 3UZ first went to air and in celebration, the 927 frequency will feature some of the best of 3UZ!  For those who remember Stan Rofe, Sam Anglesea, Don
Lunn etc, etc, etc , it might be worth having on in the background!!

Re: Radio Memories

Reply #1
FM killed AM radio. The sound quality is not even a close comparison. AM is really only for the loyal folk who listened to these stations years ago. There are FM stations flogging some of the old bands, so the AM stations are losing listeners there too. The only AM station I still listen to from time to time is SEN 1116. Only for the footy during draft period.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2
FM killed AM radio. The sound quality is not even a close comparison. AM is really only for the loyal folk who listened to these stations years ago. There are FM stations flogging some of the old bands, so the AM stations are losing listeners there too. The only AM station I still listen to from time to time is SEN 1116. Only for the footy during draft period.

I listen to ABC 774 for the cricket..........always have even as a little kid on a crystal radio set that I built from a kit.

3XY was your rock station...

Reply #3
You were also a fan of Dick Smith years ago. I bought kits from them all the time. Now you need to go to Jaycar as Dick Smith only sell TV's, computers, etc. Not electronic parts any more. I was a fan of 3MP years ago as my mother listened to this station. There were some ethnic stations she listened to also. Can't remember which ones though. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #4
You were also a fan of Dick Smith years ago. I bought kits from them all the time. Now you need to go to Jaycar as Dick Smith only sell TV's, computers, etc. Not electronic parts any more. I was a fan of 3MP years ago as my mother listened to this station. There were some ethnic stations she listened to also. Can't remember which ones though. ;)

I used to buy the electronics australia mags and build their projects, built the playmaster amps etc from Dick Smith...yep its only Jaycar now and you can still get some discrete bits from Radio Parts.
Liked my shortwave radio as well and listened to the Aus overseas broadcasts as well as cricket broadcasts from the BBC depending on where England were playing etc...

Reply #5
I always used to listen to 3KZ with "The Captain" and "The Major"! Sat wasn't Sat without that. "3KZ IS football!"  :D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
I always used to listen to 3KZ with "The Captain" and "The Major"! Sat wasn't Sat without that. "3KZ IS football!"  :D

Yep...and 3AW with Harry Beitzel and Tommy the turk Lahiff.....geez we are old Cookie ;D

Reply #7
I have fond memories but I hate Bert Newton, for what he did to the radio stations he managed, aka 3DB!

I remember when 3UZ was bought by the VRC and 3DB died a death of a thousand cuts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8

Yep...and 3AW with Harry Beitzel and Tommy the turk Lahiff.....geez we are old Cookie ;D

The good old days EB - gee, we should be careful we don't end up like Waldorf and Staedtler!  :))
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
I have vivid memories of listening to Bob Rogers on AM-1170 2CH playing all the great songs of the 60s

(That was yesterday  :D)

Reply #10
For those in a ' certain demographic' (and based on comments over the years, there are a few!) who originally came from Melbourne, you might remember the days when 'The Greater 3UZ' ruled the airwaves.  Like so many other iconic stations around the country that we all grew up with, it has long gone with a totally different identity.

Tomorrow (Sunday) it is 90 years since 3UZ first went to air and in celebration, the 927 frequency will feature some of the best of 3UZ!  For those who remember Stan Rofe, Sam Anglesea, Don

For footy it was always KZ, the Captain and the Major and Tommy... classic stuff.

For music, oh boy, reading all these posts and the memories come flooding back... Don Lunn, who used to call himself Professor Fun and ...'the almost famous', 'Your Daddio of the radio'... worked with him in SA when he was at 5KA... he used to dance around the studio. Lunny loved radio and died still a DJ at about 72 about 7 years ago.

XY and DB Music, were my music stations then... loved the Smithy and Coxy evening show where the girls, to win a prize, had to say, ...'I love Cox!' Then there was Rick Melbourne, Brian Lehman... 'the Barrell!' These clowns inspired me to go into commercial radio... fun years! Loved Liz and Harro on ZY... Harro used to get away with some pretty full on stuff, still hear him from time to time. Still good mates with Liz after we worked together for a short while, one talented gal.

And for Principal LODS, when I was in the Navy, stationed in Sydney, SM Music was my choice... Ken E Sparks, etc... and of course, The Rat - Donnie Sutherland (also hosted, Sounds). Boy, these memories are too much... where's that walking frame?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #11
It's was an amazing job those blokes did at talking up the sport during there commentary, luckily for them it was radio as anyone with a portable transistor radio knew.

I remember sitting in the Harris stand watching a dead boring game while the Beitzel and his team had it pegged as a cliff hanger. I think they did it as much to amuse themselves as broadcast the game! ;)

Which reminds me, if we are talking about the past, we should talk about some of the staging that went on in the old days!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Not radio (or possibly were) The pair of Geoff Leek & Doug Bigelow from "The Winners" days

Reply #13
I listen to 3AW when I am with Mum and SEN from time to time.

Don't know why they dont go to FM

Reply #14

Ahhhh, nothing  worse than having your game on 3UZ or 3DB :

"Carlton only 1 point behind, siren is about to go any tick of the clock, Doull handballs to Vin Waite who finds Robert Walls on a long lead, he swings onto his right boot down towards the teeth of goal.....(cue 3UZ announcer in studio).....Racing in the 9th at Shepparton...!"

Had to wait 5 minutes to find out what happened!

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?