Skip to main content
Topic: Our "AFL Final Four 22" (Read 14799 times) previous topic - next topic

Our "AFL Final Four 22"

I am not a fan of the "Best 22" discussion when the team has been so poor for so many years and we have entered a major rebuild/reset.

Who are they being measured against ?? Other 'non-performers' & 'untried newbies' at the club would cover a lot of them right now.

At present, we could argue ad-nauseum about who is in our best 22 but whatever 22 was agreed upon, it isn't going to match it with the top end of the competition and won't for a couple more years to come.

It would find it far more exciting & interesting to focus on who would make an "AFL Final Four 22" right now and over the next year or two add names to it as the players develop and the playing list gets turned over and built.

I'm sure we will have a terrific team that will produce results once all that hack work has been done but right now, there are way too many unknowns about the influx of new faces for us to talk with any certainty about who is capable of doing or being what.

B : Docherty, TBA, TBA
HB : TBA, TBA, Simpson
C : TBA, Cripps, TBA
HF : Gibbs, TBA, TBA
F : TBA, TBA, TBA
R : TBA, Murphy, TBA
I/C : TBA, TBA, TBA, TBA

A handful of other players (eg. Kreuzer) will have claims to being in that team but due to injuries & consistency levels, they are considered to be 'on the cusp' until they have proven they are worthy.

Also, we all have genuine beliefs that some of the new kids (eg. Weitering) will be a super players for us but at present, they still haven't played a senior game and therefore, cannot be considered.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Our "AFL Final Four 22"

Reply #1
Casboult

Reply #2
Also, we all have genuine beliefs that some of the new kids (eg. Weitering) will be a super players for us but at present, they still haven't played a senior game and therefore, cannot be considered.

I can't see any reason why the new blokes cannot be considered for our best 22 now.  They can't be any worse than some of the bananas that were gifted games last season.

Anyway, we should have a pretty good idea after a couple of NAB Challenge games  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
I can't see any reason why the new blokes cannot be considered for our best 22 now.  They can't be any worse than some of the bananas that were gifted games last season.

Anyway, we should have a pretty good idea after a couple of NAB Challenge games  :)

You have missed the point of this DJC, it's not "best 22" at all, it's an "AFL Final Four 22" of which we have very few presently.

This is not to say in 12-months time there won't be some new names on that team due to some of the new players fully establishing themselves. 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #5
You have missed the point of this DJC, it's not "best 22" at all, it's an "AFL Final Four 22" of which we have very few presently.

This is not to say in 12-months time there won't be some new names on that team due to some of the new players fully establishing themselves.

Yes, I did miss your point Sheik.

In that case I reckon that we would need to see improvement and consistency from most of what's left of last season's best 22 as well as from the new boys.  However, I would add Tuohy, Ed Curnow and Everitt to your selections.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
How many years will it take us to make the top 4? It's currently at 16 years, will Simpson be around?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #7
We could make top 4 next season or in 2017. You never know. Look at Leicester in the EPL.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
Yes, I did miss your point Sheik.

In that case I reckon that we would need to see improvement and consistency from most of what's left of last season's best 22 as well as from the new boys.  However, I would add Tuohy, Ed Curnow and Everitt to your selections.

Tuohy definitely....I think Ed might struggle to hold his place as some of the new guys come on...but if Curnow's out of the side because there are 22 ahead of him we'll have a top 4 side.
Everitt has that versatility....probably on the interchange....and I reckon by the end of the year Buckley will be a certainty.

Reply #9
Casboult

Big year for Casboult, he's a new dad and new dad players tend to go one of two ways, they either become gun shy and worry about making it home safe from work, or they become even more determined to be a success and give their kids a future!

It's a 50/50 at this stage, proud house husband or player with a future!

The irony for the house husband is that playing it safe makes you a bigger target for pricks like Hodge and Lewis as they love nothing better to pick off unsuspecting players on the fringe!

The safest place on the ground is in the heat!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
No chance !!

No place for the best contested mark in the league?

Yikes! You must have some vendetta against him or summit. 

If he were on Hawthorn's list would he get a game this year??? Absolutely. Freo - likewise.

Reply #11
Big year for Casboult, he's a new dad and new dad players tend to go one of two ways, they either become gun shy and worry about making it home safe from work, or they become even more determined to be a success and give their kids a future!

It's a 50/50 at this stage, proud house husband or player with a future!

The irony for the house husband is that playing it safe makes you a bigger target for pricks like Hodge and Lewis as they love nothing better to pick off unsuspecting players on the fringe!

The safest place on the ground is in the heat!

Kill or be killed is the mantra.

Generally players will be happy to dish it out if they think once they stop they will start copping it instead.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Reckon the handful of players you have their Sheik is about right. I could only see Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps and Docherty in a top four side. Simpson is brave, but his inability to kick both sides is poor for a professional player, and i hope for us in the future is simply not acceptable.

Others on the cusp would be Everitt and maybe Tuohy. That's about it. This year will determine alot of futures.

Reply #13
Nicky G will be a top four player in the next few years. Mark it down.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
Lock Weitering in....Gibbs, Murphy and Simpson for sure wont be there IMO...