Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 20: Pre Game Anticipation: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 22851 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 20: Pre Game Anticipation: Carlton vs St Kilda

Sunday 7th August at the MCG at 1310 in the afternoon. This game should be the return of Marc Murphy. However, that will depend on his ankle, which has not been standard fare.
We probably NEED Murphy. St Kilda killed us at Etihad in the midfield where their ruck dominance (something not expected) gave their pacy mids the opportunity to really hurt us. Getting the ball out of the centre as easily as they did lead to our defence being under pressure and not being able to set up. As a result Membury kicked enough goals to bury us.
Now our ruck stocks will probably be stronger than at Etihad and the 'Aints will not be advantaged by their favourite surface, but we have to show that we have learnt from that debacle.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 20: Pre Game Anticipation: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #1
Another Hawthorn win and I'm frustrated. We do not have much idea how to kick goals.
Can we find something against the 'Aints? Well, if this game is an 'honourable loss' I'm going to be honourably upset.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Another Hawthorn win and I'm frustrated. We do not have much idea how to kick goals.
Can we find something against the 'Aints? Well, if this game is an 'honourable loss' I'm going to be honourably upset.

Hopefully we won't let them run free and unimpeded like we did last time.

Reply #3

I say it every week, pick a 2nd key forward as it spreads the defence and opens up the 50 for our runners. No coincidence we started winning right at that point of picking a 2nd one. A similar structure as when we were winning and kicking goals, not when we were losing and struggling to hit the scoreboard would be more than useful. As much as I like Phillips, he'll be a player, we functioned alot better when he was injured as our structure was much better.

Reply #4
We need more creativity and precision going into our F50 and we need to take our chances when we do create them. Levi has lost me  I'm afraid.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
We all look for the answers to our goal famine , but it's a skill set, which our current crop of players don't have. It's instinctive skill to turn a half chance into a score . It's not a teachable thing , it's in bred , so if our current players don't have it , need different players. No point running out the same players Into the paddock, you will get the same result. No scores on a regular basis.

Reply #6
Our loss to this mob was close to our worst effort this season.  Kerridge may be a better match for Stevens than Ed and Kreuzer/Phillips need to negate Hickey.

McEvoy always seems to hurt us on the scoreboard which irks me no end, can't let a similar trend develop vs the likes of Hickey because we are going to play this mob a lot in the future.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #7
We all look for the answers to our goal famine , but it's a skill set, which our current crop of players don't have. It's instinctive skill to turn a half chance into a score . It's not a teachable thing , it's in bred , so if our current players don't have it , need different players. No point running out the same players Into the paddock, you will get the same result. No scores on a regular basis.

we've probably reached close to the full potential of our current list. We need to bring in some higher skilled talent next year, there's not a lot in the NBs from all accounts.

Reply #9
we've probably reached close to the full potential of our current list. We need to bring in some higher skilled talent next year, there's not a lot in the NBs from all accounts.

I reckon there's heaps of potential in our list but possibly not in the one area that's crying out for improvement; midfielders and defenders who can deliver the ball to the forwards.  Of course, we have Murphy to come back and David Cuningham could be OK if he can get fit and do a full pre-season.  Billy Gowers is another who has shown a bit.

Four or five midfielders/small forwards who are upgrades on Lamb, Sumner, Graham, Whiley, Buckley, etc and we'd match it with most sides.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
I reckon there's heaps of potential in our list but possibly not in the one area that's crying out for improvement; midfielders and defenders who can deliver the ball to the forwards.  Of course, we have Murphy to come back and David Cuningham could be OK if he can get fit and do a full pre-season.  Billy Gowers is another who has shown a bit.

Four or five midfielders/small forwards who are upgrades on Lamb, Sumner, Graham, Whiley, Buckley, etc and we'd match it with most sides.

I was referring to the list as a whole DJC. There are no doubt some talented players and some individuals who will no doubt improve further. However, taken as a whole I do not think it is capable of becoming premiership material, by a long way, without the injection of some serious talent particularly in the area you have mentioned, plus a good KPF. We have seen now two or three performances that have shown we are really pushing the envelope of our team's ability, for which they all should be applauded, but.....enter SOS.

Reply #11
I was referring to the list as a whole DJC. There are no doubt some talented players and some individuals who will no doubt improve further. However, taken as a whole I do not think it is capable of becoming premiership material, by a long way, without the injection of some serious talent particularly in the area you have mentioned, plus a good KPF. We have seen now two or three performances that have shown we are really pushing the envelope of our team's ability, for which they all should be applauded, but.....enter SOS.

I don't agree Cookie.  Even with our obvious deficiencies we have been competitive against top 4 teams, our disposal efficiency has skyrocketed and were executing the coach's plans pretty well.  As Trigg's email says;

. . . there are metrics that indicate strong effort and a game style/method that will put us in good shape for the future, as well as measurable evidence of learning.

Informed drafting and some judicious trades to bolster the midfield and add depth and we'll be flying  :)

PS I'd like to know what the "metrics" are  ???
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
I don't agree Cookie.  Even with our obvious deficiencies we have been competitive against top 4 teams, our disposal efficiency has skyrocketed and were executing the coach's plans pretty well.  As Trigg's email says;

Informed drafting and some judicious trades to bolster the midfield and add depth and we'll be flying  :)

PS I'd like to know what the "metrics" are  ???

I think that's what I was saying?  ??? We won't be flying anywhere unless we do that. Being competitive with but heroically losing to a top side and beating that top side are a long way apart IMO, especially a team like the Hawks. We won't become ultimately successful until we fix our major deficiencies otherwise we'll end up in the same old place of relying too much on too few.

Reply #13
I think that's what I was saying?  ??? We won't be flying anywhere unless we do that. Being competitive with but heroically losing to a top side and beating that top side are a long way apart IMO, especially a team like the Hawks. We won't become ultimately successful until we fix our major deficiencies otherwise we'll end up in the same old place of relying too much on too few.

I don't think our list is all that bad, and it's certainly not the worst in the comp as some pundits proclaimed.  It's also very "coachable" (if that's a word) and Bolton will be very keen to keep it that way.  I am not expecting wholesale changes, but I am expecting a focus on improving our midfield stocks.

Reply #14
Need the midfield up grades no doubt , but when they get the ball, who do you kick it to? let's each nominate 2 players who we class as forwards on out current list , that you would want to pass to in the 50 say 35-40 metres out with pressure on
My vote Everitt & a distant second Walker ?