Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 13: Pre Game posturing: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 15552 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 13: Pre Game posturing: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Last time we just failed against Gold Coast: we ran out of gas and let Ablett off the leash.
Now we have a chance to right that wrong, but only if we:
[1] Stop Ablett. He got 37 possessions last time, even though most of them were rubbish until the last quarter.
and
[2] Stop the Gold Coast run and carry out of defence.

Last time they ran the ball out too easily and used their skill to hit targets. Unfortunately their FF could not miss. Lynch beat Rowe in a way that in other forward has managed in the last few years.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 13: Pre Game posturing: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #1
Righto, next victim of the so called "BB sponge". On road, bit of bonding time, I reckon we can win this.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
Last time we just failed against Gold Coast: we ran out of gas and let Ablett off the leash.
Now we have a chance to right that wrong, but only if we:
[1] Stop Ablett. He got 37 possessions last time, even though most of them were rubbish until the last quarter.
and
[2] Stop the Gold Coast run and carry out of defence.

Last time they ran the ball out too easily and used their skill to hit targets. Unfortunately their FF could not miss. Lynch beat Rowe in a way that in other forward has managed in the last few years.

Let Ablett get as many possessions as he likes......as long as its in the defensive half of the ground.

Reply #3
I will tell you what.
If Jones can do a job on Lynch, I think we will win this game, if not they will do us again.

We do have to stop their run, much like we had to with Saints and with GWS (which we did), if we can do that... and Jones can play on and stop Lynch, not only will we win, but I think it would be putting him a hell of a lot closer to a new contract.

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #4
Let Ablett get as many possessions as he likes......as long as its in the defensive half of the ground.

E.Curnow has just had a good game, and he has a good record against Ablett Jnr.

I'm confident, but we need to control the midfield, it's not just about Ablett Jnr.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Looked very slow vs GC last game...they ran the ball out of defense easily and carved us up on the outside. Witts also had a good quarter or two vs Kruezer which seemed to
help their onballers.
re: Lynch...need to setup better than last time, I was at that game and he had too many one outs with our players, need to block his leads and play help defense so he always has a couple of players covering him rather than one only...

Reply #6
I think having already played them this season will be a great help. Fix what's already been mentioned and learn from last time. A few changes in personnel also since we last played them so will be interesting to see how we go. Hopefully well!

Reply #7
We can sometimes come unstuck playing interstate. Hopefully this week isn't one of those games. Look forward to seeing Jones again. I thought he was done. Everyone thought he was done. What a story if he could come back from that.

I think we have the best backline in the league. Even without Rowe and Silvagni. Depth in every spot. Mcreadie can come back in but I'm hoping they bring McKay in for Asos.

Reply #8
After reading the HSun looks like a good chance McKay is coming in this week. Says he's in calculations to be the 7th debutant this year and the 10th in Bolton's time at the club.

Reply #9
When is McKay going to get a gig? This might be a good game for him, gets to travel away with thte boys so feels part of it all, the rest of the newbies in the team are settled and can help protect him a little. By the way I looooved ACOS coming into Stevie J protecting Marchbank, no nonsense stuff.
Even is if he is not playing too well in the 2's he should be exposed in the 1's even for just one game.
Where is he from because Carlton have a habit of playing new players in front of their family and friends for their first game.
It has taken Daniher 3-4 years to start playing well so the sooner we do it the sooner we can reap the rewards.

Beat me to it Laj
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #10
3AW this morning said the word coming out of Carlton is that Harry will play this week...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #11
3AW this morning said the word coming out of Carlton is that Harry will play this week...

Good news - I'm looking forward to seeing him in action. Won't be travelling north though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12
Try young SOS up back and give McKay a run up forward?

If not, who is Harry coming in for?
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #13

I gather last game they may have again been planning to send Weiters forward for a period before ACoS got injured.

I hope not!

Maybe they will try and force GC's hand with 2MP and Lynch up forward, force them to look at another tall in their defense.

Maybe ACoS will make a miracle recovery! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14

I'd say he's coming for for ACOS. McKay and Casboult will then play as key forwards. SOS will be forward too.