Skip to main content
Topic: R3 Essendon V Carlton - Prematch Posturing (Read 64492 times) previous topic - next topic

R3 Essendon V Carlton - Prematch Posturing

Essendon vs Carlton (Away game)
Sunday 6 April@19:10 (note start time)
MCG

Arch rival and we desperately need a win otherwise our season is looking very shaky. Essendon finished up strong but we were reasonable in finishing so hopefully we can carry some form into this game.. Jamo will need to continue his form and we'll need Gibbs to hit back and impact this game to be any chance.

Walker straight back in and to the forward line please. Buckley to have first go at his old gig

Go at it.

Re: R3 Essendon V Carlton - Prematch Posturing

Reply #1
Essendon vs Carlton (Away game)
Sunday 6 April@19:10 (note start time)
MCG

Arch rival and we desperately need a win otherwise our season is looking very shaky. Essendon finished up strong but we were reasonable in finishing so hopefully we can carry some form into this game.. Jamo will need to continue his form and we'll need Gibbs to hit back and impact this game to be any chance.

Walker straight back in and to the forward line please. Buckley to have first go at his old gig

Go at it.

Our only hope here is that it's at the MCG not crapihad.

Much harder to pressure the ball carrier and cause turnovers. Unfortunately we do that without assistance.

I'm hoping that we pick runners, runners and more runners.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #2
Be won in the middle, we wont be able to stop their tall forwards so denying them forward entries is what its all about and that means winning the clearances and having more of the footy.

Howlett and Hocking will probably get Murphy and Gibbs so we need a win there and Curnow will probably get Watson...need another win.

I think Ryder was injured so Warnock and whoever(Wood perhaps) might have it easier.....

Robbo and Bell need to hit and tackle hard and Jarrod Waite needs a big game.

It Blues vs Dons so its 50/50 IMO.. regardless of form , we can win this game with careful planning and application.

Walker back and up forward and I would play Henderson up forward to win the game and forget about trying to save the game by sending players back and forward every 5 minutes..all out attack would be my tactics...

Reply #3
I think Ryder was injured so Warnock and whoever(Wood perhaps) might have it easier.....

If Wood goes on the list this week whoever goes LTI is out for at least 8 weeks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
Definitely need to win the key midfield battle. The Bummers will probably have to rely on young Joe Daniher as Bellchambers and Ryder are injured, so Warnock should be able to do that job with assistance from whoever.

The Bummer midfield looked pretty strong to me with Jobe et al,  but I think we could exploit Stanton a bit. Goddard had another excellent game and he could be a real problem - Everitt to get him? Their two youngsters also had good games - Gleeson and Ambrose.

Be a tough gig alright - the Bummers are no Tiggers and will play 4Qs and won't go away, so we'd better be prepared to do the same otherwise it could get embarrassing.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
Be won in the middle, we wont be able to stop their tall forwards so denying them forward entries is what its all about and that means winning the clearances and having more of the footy.

In his post game presser, Bomber said that they were too tall and losing Ryder gave them a better balanced line up.  Ryder could be replaced with another mid.

Our forward line functions better when there is another genuine marking option.  I'd play Waite and Henderson as key forwards with Walker and Everitt both spending more time forward.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
Should have beat the reigning Premier last night if not for arsy Rioli. Bummer T has them humming. They will spank us by plenty. 0-3 after next week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #7
Must admit that things are not looking promising. Essendon have structural problems but seem to be able to overcome them even against good sides. We have structural problems and we can't find solutions against anyone. That is frustrating.

We are lucky that Ryder looks like being out, but I wouldn't be banking on that: they seem to get up much better for these games than we do for the moment.
Midfields: if we let them run around unmolested, as we did for almost a half against Richmond, they will pound us.
As for our goal kicking.... I would play Robbo on their old timer: Essendon loose drive when father time isn't getting the ball.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
Must admit that things are not looking promising. Essendon have structural problems but seem to be able to overcome them even against good sides. We have structural problems and we can't find solutions against anyone. That is frustrating.

We are lucky that Ryder looks like being out, but I wouldn't be banking on that: they seem to get up much better for these games than we do for the moment.
Midfields: if we let them run around unmolested, as we did for almost a half against Richmond, they will pound us.
As for our goal kicking.... I would play Robbo on their old timer: Essendon loose drive when father time isn't getting the ball.

Agree...Robbo on Fletcher has worked well in the past, the old bloke doesnt know what to do with Robbo, it would be a  bit like playing on Mark "Jacko" Jackson..expect the unexpected from Robbo who
plays that annoying role very well.

Carlisle and Daniher rucking will help us, with Bellchambers out long term and Ryder injured it will stuff their structure up and make life easier for Jamo and crew down back not having a twin towers
forward setup to face unless the bombers promote Fraser Thurlow who is their rookie ruckman. Solid lump of a kid is Thurlow and takes a good mark but isnt quick and should not pose problems for Warnock.

Reply #9
I reckon there's next to no chance the stubborn Malthouse would use Robbo on Fletcher, that's Ratts' tactic.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #10
Bring in Cripps atvthr expence of Brock and give him periods on Watson as a learning experience. Id leave in Lacas and Bucks boy for some desperately needed spark.  Watson may come back along with walker and id like to see Woods play at the expence of Rowe.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #11
ryder being out doesn't matter
our ruck will gladly oblige to tap it to their advantage

Reply #12
Some youth.... And no Brock FFS.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #13
Must must absolutely must put heavy work into Watson. He is there prime mover and if you are to be any chance he must shut down. Most go in in conceding defeat with him, I say have a red hot go at him. He may be too big and strong for Ed. I say give Everitt a run with role. Sorted out Delidio the other night. At 194 and 90kg, has the tools to go with Jobe (190 and 94kg). The only other one would be Bell but...
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #14
Must must absolutely must put heavy work into Watson. He is there prime mover and if you are to be any chance he must shut down. Most go in in conceding defeat with him, I say have a red hot go at him. He may be too big and strong for Ed. I say give Everitt a run with role. Sorted out Delidio the other night. At 194 and 90kg, has the tools to go with Jobe (190 and 94kg). The only other one would be Bell but...

Agree with you GTC that we must close down Watson, but equally importantly we must keep Goddard on the leash. He was everywhere last night and he could also be key in our crucifixion.
Reality always wins in the end.