Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Southport (Read 3688 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Southport

Reply #15
Billy Gowers kicked 6 goals for Southport and would be Blue Lukas Webb kicked the sealer.
Stocker has to be an automatic in...
Gowers had all the talent and zero correct attitude, when guys like Clarkson and Hodge put you in the too hard basket it's a tell!

38 Possies is interesting, pity there was no coverage, I notice Fox/Kayo are broadcasting some VFL games but not our home games. I'll have to reserve my judgement on the 38, it could be 38 with zero contested.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
38 Possies is interesting, pity there was no coverage, I notice Fox/Kayo are broadcasting some VFL games but not our home games. I'll have to reserve my judgement on the 38, it could be 38 with zero contested.
I was there. Stocker was the best listed player by some margin.
Cunners was good early, but drifted out of the game. Not that surprising considering how we were thrashed in the ruck.
We had a young kid, Alex Mirkov, as our only real ruckman. He has only been training for a couple of weeks and doesn't have the fitness yet. When he got the tap, and he got most of our taps, we got goals. He is very raw, coming from volleyball (?), but at 210 cm he had more than a little idea of what he was doing.
The only other ruckman on our VFL list, from memory, is Aaron Gundry, who has been struggling somewhat with injury in the last few weeks.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
Cunners was good early, but drifted out of the game. Not that surprising considering how we were thrashed in the ruck.
We had a young kid, Alex Mirkov, as our only real ruckman. He has only been training for a couple of weeks and doesn't have the fitness yet. When he got the tap, and he got most of our taps, we got goals. He is very raw, coming from volleyball (?), but at 210 cm he had more than a little idea of what he was doing.
The only other ruckman on our VFL list, from memory, is Aaron Gundry, who has been struggling somewhat with injury in the last few weeks.

Also have Ed Delaney named at FB but more a forward/relief ruck type as a junior.  But the stocks are thin, hence the late call up for Mirkov

Reply #18
Looks a handy game by cunners.

25 possessions.  Should be enough to start getting in.

I think he might make good trade bait and we need to start playing him this season to lift his currency or value to our team.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19

Mirkov sounds promising. How old is he? Worth a mid-season draft spot? 210 blocks who can jump are hard to find. We can teach him the rest.

Reply #20
Mirkov sounds promising. How old is he? Worth a mid-season draft spot? 210 blocks who can jump are hard to find. We can teach him the rest.

Mirkov is 21, but he looks younger. I doubt we'll take him midyear - he is a fair way off being a competent ruck yet.
However, I think he has considerable promise. He appears a better bet than our Americans were. But his fitness base just isn't there at the moment. He's not used to the running.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22

I was there too and will provide more feedback when I have time.

I agree with Crash, Stocker was easily our best player but some cautionary remarks:

Apart from the last 10 minutes of the match, when he was thrown into the midfield when others were run off their legs, he spent the game playing as a loose halfback taking kick-ins, uncontested marks and 'handball receives' - so his stats were somewhat flattering. Apart from the last 10 minutes, I did not see him getting very close to many contested balls.  Having said that, I would probably play him as a halfback ahead of SPS because he kicks longer and better and seems to make fewer mistakes.

Overall, I was equally impressed by Sam Ramsay who played most of the game in the midfield (until he ran out of legs) and was a more obvious two-way runner.

Reply #24
Billy Gowers kicked 6 goals for Southport and would be Blue Lukas Webb kicked the sealer.
Stocker has to be an automatic in...

Gowers is the sort of player we should have targeted for our VFL side; hard at it, experienced, generally a good finisher, not quite up to it at AFL level but more than capable in the second tier competition.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
Gowers is the sort of player we should have targeted for our VFL side; hard at it, experienced, generally a good finisher, not quite up to it at AFL level but more than capable in the second tier competition.
 He was up to AFL level but he's a ratbag, and that is a proper ratbag not just a Mitch Robinson type!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Agree, think you will find that Southport Sharks probably would offer a better deal with money and lifestyle in sunny Qld.
They are a well run club and while it looks like we got knocked over by some surfies from the burbs they are better equipped to attract players. Tom Fields some may remember as a ex Blue. Our VFL list looks thin on size and experience and we need to correct that going forward. Maybe Kade Simpson could be enticed to play/coach...

Reply #27
Agree, think you will find that Southport Sharks probably would offer a better deal with money and lifestyle in sunny Qld.
They are a well run club and while it looks like we got knocked over by some surfies from the burbs they are better equipped to attract players. Tom Fields some may remember as a ex Blue. Our VFL list looks thin on size and experience and we need to correct that going forward. Maybe Kade Simpson could be enticed to play/coach...

They're a very serious (and monied) Club - they should have been the Gold Coast AFL club but perhaps a clash of egos with the AFL?

From humble beginnings at Owen Park in 1961 to becoming a community leader in sport, leisure and entertainment today, we take pride in entertaining our members. Southport Sharks hosts over a million visitors annually and is one of the largest clubs in Queensland and one of the Gold Coast’s leading clubs with over 55,000 members.

Whilst we have grown in stature, we remain ingrained within the local community and proud to be a key stakeholder in the Gold Coast Health and Knowledge Precinct, with health, fitness and education a priority to Southport Sharks.

Our facilities
Sharks offer a multi-purpose events centre, two restaurants, a café, five bars, two AFL grade ovals, sports facilities, modern 24/7 fitness centre, kids club, gaming facilities and free weekly entertainment.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #28

They're a very serious (and monied) Club - they should have been the Gold Coast AFL club but perhaps a clash of egos with the AFL?

Ironically, I had lunch there last week before the Suns game.  Very schmick set-up, clearly no shortage of cash.  Fairly handy alma mater as well - Nick Riewoldt, Marcus Ashcroft, Daniel Merrett, and several other current and past AFL names on their honour boards.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #29
I was there too and will provide more feedback when I have time.

I agree with Crash, Stocker was easily our best player but some cautionary remarks:

Apart from the last 10 minutes of the match, when he was thrown into the midfield when others were run off their legs, he spent the game playing as a loose halfback taking kick-ins, uncontested marks and 'handball receives' - so his stats were somewhat flattering. Apart from the last 10 minutes, I did not see him getting very close to many contested balls.  Having said that, I would probably play him as a halfback ahead of SPS because he kicks longer and better and seems to make fewer mistakes.

Overall, I was equally impressed by Sam Ramsay who played most of the game in the midfield (until he ran out of legs) and was a more obvious two-way runner who tackles like he means it and kicks very well.

Owies kicked 4 different goals (1 easy snap / 1 snap from a congested pack / one easy one from the goal square / and one beauty from outside 50m on the run) in the first half but was rarely sighted in the second.

Honey flashed in an out.  Cuningham spent limited time in the midfield and some up forward - was impressive in spurts but needs to do more at this level.

LOB seems to rarely get out of low gear but actually showed speed that I hadn't seen before when he kicked a long goal on the run during the hectic last 10 minutes - needs to pull his finger out and do it much more often.

Setterfield as a midfielder seems to be primarily focused on his opponent and tackling that opponent; betting the ball seems to be a secondary option.

Durdin seems like a scrapper but is behind Ramsay in the pecking order IMO.

Philp is another who goes hard and fast both ways but he spent a lot of time rotating from the bench and did not reappear after 3/4 time - not sure if he was injured or just being managed to limit his game time.

Not familiar with the VFL listed players but Mirkov might have a future - even though he was rag-dolled by the #10 from Southport, who was the dominant big man.  #71 also drew my attention - not a tidy player but he has decent hands and throws himself at every marking contest - also needs to learn to spoil though.