Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 8086 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane

The game is set for Sat 24th April at 1635 at Marvel. Hoping the Blues turn up.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #1
I might turn up.. Hour and a half drive to the game, hour and a half drive the other way for an Eric Bogle concert.  Would have gone to Bogle the night before (and only 20 minute drive) but already got the AFLW B&F tickets.

On the horns of a dilemma.

Reply #2
What type of Carlton will turn up?

Brisbane looked good beating Essendon, who made us look good.

Reply #3
Brisbane are at full strength, you look at their team and you want to look away real quick, if Weitering doesnt play its going to very hard to stop their tall marking forwards. Jones get Daniher then you are relying on undersized defenders to take on players like Hipwood and McStay. Even their smalls like Cameron and McCarthy are strong in the air too.
Down the other end they have decent size to look after McKay and Casboult too, Levi might have to play down back.
One move I would make is to tag Daniel Rich, we let him run off half back and he always ends up being the one delivering misery to us in the forward line because our forwards dont pick him up or the coaching box is too stupid to recognize the damage he does. We can win but this game needs more planning than most IMO and more consideration of the opposition players and matchups. Williams has to lift and prove he is worth the money this week, Brisbane run a few tags with Berry, Lyons, Robbo etc and its going to be harder for Cripps, Walsh etc to impact so we need to get more out of our other mids.
Hopefully Brisbane lose a few players at training etc and even up the contest a bit...

Reply #4
I don't know what to think other than load up and do it all again. Every game is a must win no matter who the opposition is. There should be a lot of outs but not many can come in. Stocker the obvious in. Was thinking should Doc be taken out of the backline and give him a run in the midfield?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
Personally, I don't see it now and not on Saturday afternoon. 

Reply #6
Maybe we should be looking at moving Williams to the HB line? I know shuffling deck chairs but I think he would be more value to us there atm. Try Doc in the midfield.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
Maybe we should be looking at moving Williams to the HB line? I know shuffling deck chairs but I think he would be more value to us there atm. Try Doc in the midfield.

Shuffling the deck chairs is a good idea

Williams to HBF, SPS to the middle
McGovern or Casboult to FB, depending on opponent (gorilla Casboult), Jones to the wing (and second ruck)

I’d play Stocker, Cunningham & Dow for the rest of the year, sending Newnes, Murphy and Williamson to the seconds.

Must be bold

Reply #8
I'm close to giving up after 50+ years.   Another season,  another year wasted.

Our simply incredible list management team forgot to put a back up tall defender on the list,  instead relying the likes of Caleb Marchbank to come good.   Bzzzzzzt. Epic fail. If Weitering misses we are truly rooted. Options are.... Casboult to CHB?   Cue crickets. Out of options.

Meanwhile we have systemic problems on every line.... WTF do we persist with MacGovern,  WHY!?!  I just don't get it. He is the laziest footballer I've ever seen.  FFS,   Make him earn it Teague, he's taking the pi55 that bloke.   Yes,  our membership money. Going to that fraud... Yep it grinds my gears.  Just delist this bloke.

Marc Murphy needs to gracefully exit stage left,  it's getting embarrassing. Is this bloke going to tag Rich, can't see it myself.   BTW,  what's the plan there Teague,  let Rich run around and get 40 kicks unimpeded?

Stocker to play every game for the rest of the year,  and I'd think about Carroll as well.   We desperately need to inject some class into this side,  we're got too many names not delivering and they need a kick in the ar5e and a run in the twos.... Time to try somebody else because the 22 were putting out each week isn't delivering.

Frustrated and extremely pissed right now.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #9
I'm close to giving up after 50+ years.   Another season,  another year wasted.

Our simply incredible list management team forgot to put a back up tall defender on the list,  instead relying the likes of Caleb Marchbank to come good.   Bzzzzzzt. Epic fail. If Weitering misses we are truly rooted. Options are.... Casboult to CHB?   Cue crickets. Out of options.

Meanwhile we have systemic problems on every line.... WTF do we persist with MacGovern,  WHY!?!  I just don't get it. He is the laziest footballer I've ever seen.  FFS,   Make him earn it Teague, he's taking the pi55 that bloke.   Yes,  our membership money. Going to that fraud... Yep it grinds my gears.  Just delist this bloke.

Marc Murphy needs to gracefully exit stage left,  it's getting embarrassing. Is this bloke going to tag Rich, can't see it myself.   BTW,  what's the plan there Teague,  let Rich run around and get 40 kicks unimpeded?

Stocker to play every game for the rest of the year,  and I'd think about Carroll as well.   We desperately need to inject some class into this side,  we're got too many names not delivering and they need a kick in the ar5e and a run in the twos.... Time to try somebody else because the 22 were putting out each week isn't delivering.

Frustrated and extremely pissed right now.
With the exception of Levi playing back if Weiters misses, none of the above will happen (even though much of it needs to). Stocker may get a run this week after a dominant display in the 2s, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't though. Carroll is injured isn't he?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
Hopefully Brisbane lose a few players at training etc and even up the contest a bit...

I thought that this week and it didn’t help.

There midfield will crush ours like all the better teams will. Neale is getting his form back too so unless Ed can do a big job on him it could get ugly.

See them as harder then port was as port had a few of outs and had a few injuries during the game and we still never looked likely after quarter time.

Heart says maybe we can pull a upset off but head says no they are too strong on all lines for us.

Amazing when you look at this list to ours we started out rebuild before them. Thanks sos. 

Reply #11
Out: Williamson,  SPS
In:    Stocker, Ramsay

Plowman      Jones            Dougherty
Saad             Weitering      McGovern
Newnes        Cripps           Ramsay
Fogarty        Kennedy        Williams
Betts             McKay          Casboult
Pittonet        Curnow         Walsh         

Stocker, Cottrell, Gibbons, Murphy.

Cover the 3 talls from Brisbane....Daniher, McStay and Hipwood with Weitering, Jones and McGovern
Leave Plowman to pick up a smaller player
Assign Fogarty the job on Rich. Mow him down every time he goes near the pill.
Play Kennedy as our third tall up forward (he can mark overhead and he can kick straight!)
Sit Curnow on Neale all day. (If he doesn't tag and negate, there is no place for him.)
Rotate Cottrell off half back, Stocker and Gibbons on ball and Murphy relieves Williams to go on the ball.

Reply #12
Tag/sit on Rich or look for a new job Monday - Memo to all coaching staff. All.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13
Jack Carroll injured a thumb a couple of weeks back and is expected to be sidelined for 2-3 weeks.

Newnes has his limitations but IMHO, has been pretty consistent and plays a role....and has been since Round 1 last year really.

With still seemingly no depth after all these years, it's hard to see too many changes. Stocker will definitely play and hopefully at the expense of SPS who has been stinking it up all season. It's been a massive failure on successive coaches to try and turn him into a defender...play him in the midfield and if he can't cut it there, trade him out.

If Weitering misses with concussion, Daniher or Hipwood (or both) will have a field day.

Injuries have cruelled us but after all these years, we have 2 legitimate ruckman on our list....TDK who is injured and Pitto who was recruited as backup anyway. Not having a go at him as he's not the issue. We've got two legitimate key defenders and Jones is into his 30's. And a plethora of small/mids and young kids who we either haven't seen much or anything of and the ones who we have seen, aren't up to it.

Reply #14
Out: Williamson,  SPS
In:    Stocker, Ramsay

Plowman      Jones            Dougherty
Saad             Weitering      McGovern
Newnes        Cripps           Ramsay
Fogarty        Kennedy        Williams
Betts             McKay          Casboult
Pittonet        Curnow         Walsh         

Stocker, Cottrell, Gibbons, Murphy.

Cover the 3 talls from Brisbane....Daniher, McStay and Hipwood with Weitering, Jones and McGovern
Leave Plowman to pick up a smaller player
Assign Fogarty the job on Rich. Mow him down every time he goes near the pill.
Play Kennedy as our third tall up forward (he can mark overhead and he can kick straight!)
Sit Curnow on Neale all day. (If he doesn't tag and negate, there is no place for him.)
Rotate Cottrell off half back, Stocker and Gibbons on ball and Murphy relieves Williams to go on the ball.
Ramsay in is a good call....nice leftie and we have to start looking at different setups with different players.