Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 8092 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #30
Some talk around that Jarrod Berry and Oscar McInerney are on light duties and will need to be declared fit to play. Let's hope they need one more week. Every little bit counts.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Not to be contrary, Pauly, but personally I love it when our opposition is at its best. When we start hoping for an opponent to be affected / reduced by injuries to key personnel we're mired in loser thinking.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #31

Not to be contrary, Pauly, but personally I love it when our opposition is at its best. When we start hoping for an opponent to be affected / reduced by injuries to key personnel we're mired in loser thinking.
I have to agree. I want us to beat full strength teams by preference: it tells us that WE are a team to fear.
Alas, I don't see us at the point where we can. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32

I agree with the first point. The mighty have fallen, very significantly. However, IMO we have to accept where we're at, and in order to stave off any further Carlton stupidity, and heaping more unnecessary pressure on the coach, I'll take wins anywhere we can get them. Against the Lions NEAFL team, the Shepparton U/10's, anywhere. Worry about beating the best of the best at some future point.

Reply #33
I have to agree. I want us to beat full strength teams by preference: it tells us that WE are a team to fear.
Alas, I don't see us at the point where we can. :(
Why? Every other teams loves beating us and we are the most injury plagued team in the history of AFL.
They couldn't give 2 hoots about us missing players and keep kicking us when we lose another game, so I'm hoping every team we play from here on in has injuries to make our life easier in creating some sort of winning culture.
4 points is 4 points, no one looks back on games saying oh they were missing such and such.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #34
I agree with the first point. The mighty have fallen, very significantly. However, IMO we have to accept where we're at, and in order to stave off any further Carlton stupidity, and heaping more unnecessary pressure on the coach, I'll take wins anywhere we can get them but isn't that simply papering over cracks? Wouldn't you rather have the problems fully bared so you could make the necessary changes to address the totally exposed issue(s)? Against the Lions NEAFL team, the Shepparton U/10's, anywhere. Worry about beating the best of the best at some future point.

Reply #35
Surprisingly there has been some good analysis of Carlton from Matthew Lloyd, particularly around Cripps, I think Mark Maclure is on the right track about the culture of the football club around players' commitment, teamwork and accountability, and Daisy Thomas made interesting comments around Bolton playing kids who weren't ready or deserved to be picked.
I think there are six players injured who would be in our best team, Charlie, Marchbank, DeKonning, Silvagni, Martin and Fisher and having them available would make a big difference, however I think our list is very good and deep so having eleven or twelve players unavailable should never be used as an excuse for a lack of effort and commitment.
I think we have good Coaching in that there is a game plan that the players actually seem committed to but are not always willing to put in the effort or commitment to implement it. You can't keep missing targets going forward, missing easy goals and not put on defensive pressure and actually expect a game plan to work. I also like the fact Teague is making young players earn their positions rather than gifting them games. I would like to see Dow, O'Brien, Setterfield, Cuningham, Stocker and others forcing the likes of Murphy, Betts, Newnes, and Curnow out of the side because they better, younger and hungrier than them.
The third element of a successful Club is also in place which is a good administration which is demonstrated by the Membership numbers, the clearing out of debt and the rebuilding of the facilities at Ikon Park.
So I think the criticism has been sharp and fair to a certain extent and it is now up to the players to deliver. I hope it is a line in the sand time.

Reply #36
.................... and Daisy Thomas made interesting comments around Bolton playing kids who weren't ready or deserved to be picked.
We know this happened, under the guise of accelerated development, but I think when it proceeds beyond a certain point of lost hope they become Pavlov's Dog and they have learned to suffer and lose instead of persist and win!

It broke some of those kids.

FWIW, I thought Buckley and Pendlebury were basically referencing us last week when they both stated under media pressure,
"We don't play kids who are not ready and have not earned a spot!"

We folded like a house of cards, as a result some of our best picture cards are forever bent!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
I agree with the first point. The mighty have fallen, very significantly. However, IMO we have to accept where we're at, and in order to stave off any further Carlton stupidity, and heaping more unnecessary pressure on the coach, I'll take wins anywhere we can get them but isn't that simply papering over cracks? Wouldn't you rather have the problems fully bared so you could make the necessary changes to address the totally exposed issue(s)? Against the Lions NEAFL team, the Shepparton U/10's, anywhere. Worry about beating the best of the best at some future point.

I don't know if it's papering over cracks or anything else. All I know is that for now, we need to keep the CFC Board and executive from doing something stupid. And that will be achieved by wins.

Reply #38
Anyone having trouble with tickets? Keep getting the "unfortunately, there are no upgrade available for this Member code".

No point phoning Ticketmaster they sit you in a que for thirty minutes than hang up. The Club the same, just about ready to give up on this process!
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #39
We know this happened, under the guise of accelerated development, but I think when it proceeds beyond a certain point of lost hope they become Pavlov's Dog and they have learned to suffer and lose instead of persist and win!

It broke some of those kids.

Agreed - its an easy reign to pull during a rebuild, as it
a) assures you lose, so higher draft picks
b) allows the club to sell hope - look at these kids, arent we going to be great, soon
c) buys time

But, it can be counter-productive, as it can, as you point out, kill the confidence of the kids (looking at you, Paddy Dow)

Reply #40
Agreed - its an easy reign to pull during a rebuild, as it
a) assures you lose, so higher draft picks
b) allows the club to sell hope - look at these kids, arent we going to be great, soon
c) buys time

But, it can be counter-productive, as it can, as you point out, kill the confidence of the kids (looking at you, Paddy Dow)

It should come as little surprise that SOS followed the GWS model, given his pedigree. Lots of young kids playing and growing together. Given the injuries and average recycled players that he also recruited (O'Shea etc.), maybe the kids were played becuase there was no on else.

On the flip side, one could reasonably speculate that Dow's confidence took a hit when he was no longer being selected, or selected for 1 game, then dropped. He started really well in 2018, despite our worst season in history.

Reply #41
Blue Moon....I'd add Nic Newman to that list of injured players in our best 22 as well. I think he played every game in his first season for us in 2019 and did his knee in Round 1 last year and hasn't played since.  He's got a little bit of mongrel in him and is usually a reliable and penetrating kick off half back or can be used off a wing. I'd have him in the backline before Williamson and SPS at the moment. 

Reply #42
I wonder how we would go against BrisVegas if all 22 played with the work ethic of Walsh, Cripps & Weitering?

Reply #43
I wonder how we would go against BrisVegas if all 22 played with the work ethic of Walsh, Cripps & Weitering?
Probably a win. I'd go as far to say that we could beat every team if all 22 played with the work ethic of those three. The question is though, how often would all 22 play with the work ethic of those 3?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
If we come to play we can give any team a run.
You'll know in the first ten minutes which Carlton side turns up.

I'm expecting a good effort this week.
They've been stung.
If we don't see it, that will be a worry.