Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Freo in Freo Practice Match (Read 14411 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Freo in Freo Practice Match

Reply #60
In our glory days, we hardly ever won a pre-season game, in fact it looked like we weren't taking them seriously at all!

I realise times have changed, but I can't help it, because my experience tells me to completely ignore pre-season form!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
Pre-season, half a side out, traveling cross country, half interested other than having a run in the park. Only the very stupid get caught up.

See what happens next time.

Reply #62
In our glory days, we hardly ever won a pre-season game, in fact it looked like we weren't taking them seriously at all!

I realise times have changed, but I can't help it, because my experience tells me to completely ignore pre-season form!

I was just kidding. I'm sure Dave has a few aces up his sleeve. The Swans have a well known culture of basically laughing at pre season, since the Roos era and possibly earlier.

Reply #63
What I am concerned with is the tendency for our sides to pick and choose when they are going to try. I thought the endeavour and intent against Collingwood was excellent, as laj said, "Pre-season, half a side out, traveling cross country, half interested other than having a run in the park".  The problem with that is that Carlton sides have been doing this for decades during the real season. It was alright during the 70's, 80's & 90's when we were winning Premierships, but this century we have been winning wooden spoons. Winning teams win because they win, losing teams lose because they lose. The lack of a winning culture has cost Brittain, Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse and Bolton their jobs. This is the one aspect of culture Teague needs to fix.

Reply #64
What I am concerned with is the tendency for our sides to pick and choose when they are going to try. .............  The problem with that is that Carlton sides have been doing this for decades during the real season. It was alright during the 70's, 80's & 90's when we were winning Premierships, but this century we have been winning wooden spoons. Winning teams win because they win, losing teams lose because they lose. The lack of a winning culture has cost Brittain, Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse and Bolton their jobs. This is the one aspect of culture Teague needs to fix.

It's an interesting point to ponder, and I doubt there's a simple answer. I'm sure part of it is because clubs are simply more risk averse, living as we do in a more professional, welfare-aware era. In earlier times, I'm quite certain they were running on half rat juice so as to conserve energy for the recovery session at the pub, starting with a race to see who could get there first.

Reply #65
It's an interesting point to ponder, and I doubt there's a simple answer. I'm sure part of it is because clubs are simply more risk averse, living as we do in a more professional, welfare-aware era. In earlier times, I'm quite certain they were running on half rat juice so as to conserve energy for the recovery session at the pub, starting with a race to see who could get there first.
That would be the old Carlton we love and admire, the David Parkin / Robert Walls / Alex Jesaulenko / John Nicholls Carlton. (We'll omit the Percy Jones era for tactical purposes!)

It might not help, but given our recent history it couldn't hurt! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
Pre-season, half a side out, traveling cross country, half interested other than having a run in the park. Only the very stupid get caught up.

See what happens next time.

You forget the very nature of passion, hope and optimism, Jim Old Son. To label people 'very stupid' for getting 'caught up' is a bit harsh. I don't think it's any more complicated than loving our club so much that we hate to see them lose... then vent. Ah, humans, we're a strange bunch.

Let's see what we bring to the Loins game... then the Tiggers. (spelling errors intentional...  🤭 )
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #67
Also looked like Longmuir coached v. well and knew how to frustrate us. Good test for DT, thought he was out coached.

Both coaches would have been hampered by fitness and conditioning limitations but it seemed that we had done no opposition analysis and simply went out to play our game regardless.  Worse was the fact that we had no plan B.

Longmuir capitalised on his winning match ups and made changes to both shut us down and exploit weaknesses.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #68
Worse was the fact that we had no plan B.
I doubt we had any genuine intention of exposing our game plan or our backup game plan in a practise match.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
I doubt we had any genuine intention of exposing our game plan or our backup game plan in a practise match.
We went back to our old game plan of kicking it to the opposition and not bothering to man them up. Freos skills were better and they look much fitter, the heat and humidity probably favoured them as Fly suggested. eg Williamson looked knackered at 3/4 time and Banfield took him apart in that last quarter.

Reply #70
We went back to our old game plan of kicking it to the opposition and not bothering to man them up. Freos skills were better and they look much fitter, the heat and humidity probably favoured them as Fly suggested. eg Williamson looked knackered at 3/4 time and Banfield took him apart in that last quarter.
We've no idea what phase of training we are under, high work load, tapering, recovery, etc., etc., it's the main difference between teams at this time of year. Russell can create an apparently poor result just with an appropriately timed heavy weights session.

Some coaches want to see what players can do, others just want players to get injury free miles under the belt.

We've no idea what Teague wants, what he says at a presser at this time of year is unlikely to be related to his closed door message, public commentary as such is just guess work.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
That is all true, but I'm pretty sure the message wasn't kick it straight to an unopposed opposition player every second time you get the ball

Reply #72
Making allowances for the hot weather, having half our side out, the fact that the players weren't switched on etc, etc - we are still left with players whose foot skills are atrocious, who show no improvement over past seasons, and will see us carved up by the better sides.

If we are not able to have a season with very few injuries we will be punished by the top ten sides.

Reply #73
We looked alright the last practice game we played against the Pies. Pies had their turn there to look crap like we did last night. Nature of these games.

Reply #74
You forget the very nature of passion, hope and optimism, Jim Old Son. To label people 'very stupid' for getting 'caught up' is a bit harsh. I don't think it's any more complicated than loving our club so much that we hate to see them lose... then vent. Ah, humans, we're a strange bunch.

Let's see what we bring to the Loins game... then the Tiggers. (spelling errors intentional...  🤭 )
Saw enough against the Pies.