Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017 Round 3: Northern Blues vs Coburg at Coburg (Read 27445 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017 Round 3: Northern Blues vs Coburg at Coburg

Reply #105
That's the kind of headache coaches want!

It seems that Jones has really responded well to being challenged to play roles that he's not used to/familiar with.  Perhaps it could save his career.  Great story if it does and good intuition by our development coaches.

he seems in a really, really good space/place.....good luck to him.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #106
Looking at the statistics and specifically at small/mids who might come in for the injured fisher, there is 1 column i found very handy.
Tackles.
Daisy 4
Boekhorst 0
Pickett 0
Armfield 0

Both Daisy and Boeky had 30+ touches each and looked to have dominated.
Pickett and Army managed only 25 between them.

You'd have to back Daisy over Boeky for that column alone i think. Most agree Boeky needs to work on his defensive side of the game and it appears there is still more work required.

But Boekhorst is much quicker than Daisy and hasn't got a $350,000 contract extension hanging over his head.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #107
That's the kind of headache coaches want!

It seems that Jones has really responded well to being challenged to play roles that he's not used to/familiar with.  Perhaps it could save his career.  Great story if it does and good intuition by our development coaches.

Really agree with this, David. I, too, hope he is rewarded for his form and attitude. Though unlikely to happen, I'd love to see him as SOJs replacement against Rottingwood. Playing as the third tall would give Rottingwood a huge headache.

Reply #108
I'm still to be convinced by Boeky tbh despite his stats. Is capable of producing some nice footy but always looks a little on the flakey side to me. Be interested to see if gets selected and how he goes.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #109
I'm still to be convinced by Boeky tbh despite his stats. Is capable of producing some nice footy but always looks a little on the flakey side to me. Be interested to see if gets selected and how he goes.

I'm not sure if a replay of VFL is available to watch, but it would be worthwhile watching it. Boekhorst wasn't really winning his own ball but he did well when given the pill by the likes of Thomas, Armfield, Kerridge, Jones and Wilson. He is really benefiting from Jones' increased level of inside contesting, if Boekhorst can find an outside role in the AFL side he might do OK so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Who knows, he might be able to do a Jones and change his ways!

I'm really buoyed by what I see as an obvious cultural change in our player development and NBs relationship.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110

Agree...if you are going to be an outside receiver type  player only then you have to be A grade at what you do and he isnt.....

Reply #111
I'm not sure if a replay of VFL is available to watch, but it would be worthwhile watching it. Boekhorst wasn't really winning his own ball but he did well when given the pill by the likes of Thomas, Armfield, Kerridge, Jones and Wilson. He is really benefiting from Jones' increased level of inside contesting, if Boekhorst can find an outside role in the AFL side he might do OK so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Who knows, he might be able to do a Jones and change his ways!

I'm really buoyed by what I see as an obvious cultural change in our player development and NBs relationship.

There is a quarter by quarter replay on the CFC website.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #112
There is a quarter by quarter replay on the CFC website.

Thanks DJC - I'll try and find time to have a look.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
Agree...if you are going to be an outside receiver type  player only then you have to be A grade at what you do and he isnt.....

In fairness to Boekhorst, the first part of being functional as a outside receiver is getting to the contest, at the moment a lot of our kids don't do that consistently.

Boekhorst was certainly getting to contests at the weekend, perhaps some of that is resulting from being surrounded and pushed by the likes of Kerridge, Thomas and Armfield.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #114
But Boekhorst is much quicker than Daisy and hasn't got a $350,000 contract extension hanging over his head.

Neither of these things should be reasons to play one player ahead of another IMHO.

Its all about the best person for the job irrespective of these factors.

Boekhorst is someone who I would like to see exposed to senior football again over an extended period of time, to see if his time in the game has taught him what he needs to know.

If not, we can part ways with him.

I have arrived at Daisy's best case scenario with us.  I think its best for him, that he doesn't make his trigger clause irrespective of how he plays, and that we then negotiate a contract where he is extended anyway.  It will be the only way for fans to accept Daisy.  Until that happens the pressure will continue, and i have a feeling that we have already made up our minds as to whether or not Daisy will still be at Carlton next season anyway.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #116

If you are picking a side based on pure leg speed
or
Based on contracts

Then you are picking the side wrong.

Reply #117
If you are picking a side based on pure leg speed
or
Based on contracts

Then you are picking the side wrong.

Neither. That's too simplistic. They are simply a couple of factors that may weigh in Boekhorst's favour. Just a simple comparison exercise. If Cuningham had played much better against Coburg, he'd be in the mix to replace ZF. Against Sydney we had the youth to senior/experienced player balance just about right, many pundits agree. We're building a new side with youth a focus (not THE focus, A focus) so you'd reasonably expect if ZF doesn't come up, a zippy youngster could be a logical choice. But maybe we want another experienced player instead considering the competition? Who knows? Just thoughts. Buckley might get the nod, he'd have to be considered. We'll know in a few hours.

Reply #119
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE_w2zyK5m0&feature=youtu.be

Full match replay for anyone who needs a footy "fix".

A good watch. I watched it again last night. Jones and Daisy really were the standouts. Liked the progress from Kerr as well.