Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 6: Post game Awesomeness (Read 33679 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 6: Post game Awesomeness

Reply #45
Certainly a huge turnaround from last week which tells me we really were sore and sorry after the Suns game at Etihad.

Fantastic to see BB focus on our post-half time fadeouts.  Giving him full credit for the blitz at the beginning of Q3.

Alex Silvagni - where have you been all my life?  Loving the composure of Williamson, can't wait till he bulks up a little.

Wright - I'm sure he has missed a goal in the last 12 months, just can't recall seeing it!

Relieved to hear Rohan is ok - looked sickening at the ground. Very silly on his part. My son refuses to run back with the flight of the ball to mark citing a certain fondness for his life (my words, not his).  I won't be trying to dissuade him from what is a sound strategy.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #46
My understanding is that the minute a player takes his eye off the ball and looks at the player, it's pretty much an automatic free. I was also wondering why Rowe wasn't paid.

Rowe took the mark didn't he?

Reply #48

A free kick always takes precedence over a mark.  It was inconsequential because Rowe marked and played on but the umpire still should have paid the free.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49

If ever there was a time to review the inconsistencies in the free kick rules (especially the 50m component) this would be it.

On the one hand, something completely innocuous like moving into the protected zone after a mark gives away a 50 - on the other hand somebody cops a crazy Joe Davola karate kick to the chest/neck (could've easily struck him in the head), and a simple mark is deemed sufficient ?

I call suss. Extremely suss.

Reply #50
The media are talking Rohan up like he's a hero, but those who haven't been watching get on the AFL website and have a look at the replay.

Rohan was basically doing a Ziebell and came off worse, took his eyes off the ball, jumped front on with knee raised into Rowe who was chest marking the ball!

Yes, Rowe stands his ground, bears the full brunt of Rohan's impact (an airborne Rohan with one leg well in front of him), but no mention of Rowe's bravery ?

Reply #51
If ever there was a time to review the inconsistencies in the free kick rules (especially the 50m component) this would be it.

On the one hand, something completely innocuous like moving into the protected zone after a mark gives away a 50 - on the other hand somebody cops a crazy Joe Davola karate kick to the chest/neck (could've easily struck him in the head), and a simple mark is deemed sufficient ?

I call suss. Extremely suss.

Yes, a 50 metre penalty would have been appropriate in this case, but not according to the rules as they stand.

I take Raydan's point about celebrating our win and the good form of our young blokes but it's clear to me that Rohan's intention was to hurt Rowe.  Fortunately Rowe is big and strong enough to take the hit but imagine if it was Simpson, Samo or Fisher attempting to mark.

I repeat my call for a footy mum to be appointed to the MRP.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #52
Just home from the game the 4 hour travel after the game was very pleasnant for a change well done boys .CC is going to be a great player for our club when you watch him live you see the distance he runs to make position and if he gets it or not he gets on hes bike and runs again .I  thought when the pressure was on it was crippa doc and simmo that really stood up. at any rate early to bed get up early and catch a big cod and make it a perfect weekend

Reply #53
And a win for Cripps' 50th.

Reply #54
Couldn't watch the game due to some (paid via CFC) live pass stuffup >:D
The only game that hasn't worked - talk about frustrating. Looking forward to watch the replay.

From posts I've read, sounds like the mix of youth and experience was perfect. Is ASOS our secret weapon or what?? Having 10 goalkickers is great news. Even Simmo got a nice running goal. Maybe his additional freedom served him well. Lots of mention (radio) about Sammo and why we went for him. He's surely up for RS nomination soon (he's 5th overall first yr on afl).

Oh, did Buddy play  :)) :)) didn't hear commentators crooning about Budweiser.

Saw Rohans unrealistic leap at Rowe  ??? What was that? Again lots of positive comments about Rowe. Agree his worth is understated in some arena's. Noticed the Port monster he took care of last week kicked a bag today. I guess his craft is much about chocking opponents opportunity, rather than his own possies. On the stats, we had 79 tackles and equal contested poss, and a reasonable DE. Hallelujah ;D

Great to see the boys break the swans winning streak.
Hope Crippa celebrates his 50th as he deserves.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #55
Going to a game easily beats watching on TV.  Might be going to a few more now...

Three concerns were the awful dropped chest marks in the first qtr, Cas' ball drop.  Horrifying seeing it live.  The last is the amount of energy it takes to recover from a basic skill error - reduce some of them and it makes life easier

it was great to be there and see the contribution that everyone made and not have to worry about commentary.   COS was great - got to contests time and time again.  Smedts did some handy things and Graham was very good.   Great to see Simpson and Krooz play great games and Cas was excellent. Plenty of others as well - just thought I'd mention them.

Now for duplication of effort next week.

Reply #56
A lot of love on here for A Silvagni and deservedly so but gee there was a lot of criticism about his selection pre-season so it's kinda amusing.
Can't believe the boys got the win today and gee after watching the replay WTF is going on with Sydney? A shadow of a team that contested for a flag. Still you're only as good as you opposition and our blokes were relentless. I like the way they're trying to improve their ball movement. Trying not to waste a kick. Work in progress but very exciting to watch.
Hard to pick a bad player today.
Really liking Williamson.
CCurnow. Gee he looks like something.
Doc was awesome today.
Kreuz is a juggernaut
MurphyGibbs solid again
Backline great.
Lot's of injury concerns this week. I hope they don't play the young blokes under duress.
If we only win one more game this year please God let it be next week. Please!

Reply #57
Just home from the game the 4 hour travel after the game was very pleasnant for a change well done boys .CC is going to be a great player for our club when you watch him live you see the distance he runs to make position and if he gets it or not he gets on hes bike and runs again .I  thought when the pressure was on it was crippa doc and simmo that really stood up. at any rate early to bed get up early and catch a big cod and make it a perfect weekend

Where do you fish Slugger

Reply #58
A lot to like today.

How many times Sydney tried a quick scrubby kick out of a pack and it went nowhere. They were completely outplayed at every clearance which is a pretty dire sign considering it's what their game is based around.

Love Williamson. Could he get a rising star nomination? I'd wonder if he could win it but he plays for Carlton so is automatically excluded from anything involving judges.

Reply #59
And that was Curlie's best game for the club. That mark in the centre square was gold.