Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63042 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #255
Gotta love the Dogs keeping us off the bottom of the ladder
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #256

Good news everyone!  I won't be needing these ...

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #257
Anyone watching the Dogs vs Wet Toast game today would have seen a pattern very similar to our own game.

The comments from Leigh Matthews about the Dogs were accordingly ultra-relevant to Carlton. The attacking run without defensive accountability, the frequent sight of three or four Wet Toast forwards goal side of Dogs defenders left floundering up the field after a turnover.

I've never seen a season like this, the tactics are at best junior, the skill sets match it up.

It's the most unaccountable football I have ever viewed at AFL level. Maybe it's good for TV, but it's rubbish to watch at the ground, and pathetic for professionals to dish up!

Is this some AFL version of the AFLW directive?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #258
So the only comparisons we are making is that they have coach for the same period.   Fair enough.  Makes sense.

Mick was hamstrung?   How?   He didn't get his Captain?   He got everything thing else.   Coaches.   High Performance Team.   Players he wanted.    Hamstrung?   Please.   You are grossly over valuing the role of the Captain.   There are no rules stopping anyone else provding leadership.   

I think you are overrating the guys running around for the Bullants getting beaten most weeks by 8 goals.    No magic solutions there, unless you want to take a backward step like Flyboy and play Graham and Kerridge

i never mentioned Graham Shakin.

Kerridge was ripping it up when given the chance late last season.....and had better DE than both Smurf and Gibba.

Makes no sense to have Dow running around in the 1s like a headless chook when you know Kerridge will get you 25+ decent possessions.

Dow and Polson need to earn their spots.

Quite frankly, would prefer Sam to Murphy right now.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #259
AFL legends blast ‘deplorable’ skill level

Footy legends Wayne Carey and Paul Roos have taken an axe to the current game, describing what they’ve seen this weekend as a disgrace.

Carey said outside of the rematch between last year’s grand finalists Richmond and Adelaide, the skill level on show had been “deplorable”.

“St Kilda couldn’t hit the side of a barn,” Carey told Triple M.

He also criticised Carlton for missing targets with two metre handballs and dropping chest marks. “Some of the skill level this weekend has not even been at VFL level, below that,” Carey said.

“Players today cannot kick on their opposite foot. A lot of people applaud when they’re running straight at the goal and they’ve got no left foot and they do a checkside and everyone says what a great goal. What a load of crap. He should have kicked it on his left foot.

“That’s what astounds me. These elite, professional players are no good on their opposite side.”

Roos said it was the long-term effect of the increasing amount of time kids were spending doing their homework and playing computer games instead of kicking a footy.

“If you’re a kid now you’re doing half, a third, a quarter — whatever it may be — of the kicking (we did),” Roos said. “When they come into the game at AFL level they haven’t had the background of skill ... it’s a numbers game.”

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/wayne-carey-and-paul-roos-reckon-the-current-skill-level-in-the-afl-is-no-good?station=Sydney

I'm sure kids spend less time with the footy than in years gone past. But other factors surely must play a part - rule changes, faster, fitter players, which means the ball carrier executes under greater pressure.........I'm sure there's others.

Reply #260
I'm sure kids spend less time with the footy than in years gone past. But other factors surely must play a part - rule changes, faster, fitter players, which means the ball carrier executes under greater pressure.........I'm sure there's others.

Fev is adamant it's because too many new footy's are being used. I suppose his career spanned both era's of football. One with a single ball used for a full game and the other with bags of balls at each end of the ground.

After the first couple of years of using bags of balls I believe the AFL required the manufacturer to artificially kick the balls in, they use some sort of giant tumbler to do this. But even so the bags full of balls still means that each ball is shiny new and slippery as all get out when they first enter play, they never really get scuffed up enough to become easily gripped!

I suppose the lack of mud and dirt also impacts this, the games are basically played on carpet with little on no abrasive particles!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #261
Anyone watching the Dogs vs Wet Toast game today would have seen a pattern very similar to our own game.

The comments from Leigh Matthews about the Dogs were accordingly ultra-relevant to Carlton. The attacking run without defensive accountability, the frequent sight of three or four Wet Toast forwards goal side of Dogs defenders left floundering up the field after a turnover.

I've never seen a season like this, the tactics are at best junior, the skill sets match it up.

It's the most unaccountable football I have ever viewed at AFL level. Maybe it's good for TV, but it's rubbish to watch at the ground, and pathetic for professionals to dish up!

Is this some AFL version of the AFLW directive?

Lets go Man on Man ALL game ala Wayne Brittain against The Cheats
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #262
Fev is adamant it's because too many new footy's are being used. I suppose his career spanned both era's of football. One with a single ball used for a full game and the other with bags of balls at each end of the ground.

Hmm, Interesting. I never thought of that.

I don't think his kicking skills suffered too much though.

Reply #263
Hmm, Interesting. I never thought of that.

I don't think his kicking skills suffered too much though.

Actually, he first made the comment about balls not being "kicked in" when he was going through a kicking slump. I believe the following season the AFL also requested a slight shape change to the new balls to make the ends more rounded like a kicked in ball. But they are still slippery.

Also a couple of things that have changed. No bouncing the ball around the ground, probably not a big deal but back in the one ball days it would have made a difference. Secondly, when you use one ball non-stop it softens and warms up slightly, in the very same way tennis balls warm up during use. It's not a lot, but it's enough to change the way the ball feels and behaves.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #264
So the only comparisons we are making is that they have coach for the same period.   Fair enough.  Makes sense.

I didn't bring it up first.

I was just implying that at a similar period in the not-so-distant past, when our team was performing similarly, our coach was a dead man walking.

Lods has been the one to suggest that Bolton won't last if this continues because...Carlton.

Mick was hamstrung?   How?   He didn't get his Captain?   He got everything thing else.   Coaches.   High Performance Team.   Players he wanted.    Hamstrung?   Please.   You are grossly over valuing the role of the Captain.   There are no rules stopping anyone else provding leadership.   
This is a dangerous game we are entering into, so lets just not go down there other to say, a simple call as captain was taken out of his hands.

I think you are overrating the guys running around for the Bullants getting beaten most weeks by 8 goals.    No magic solutions there, unless you want to take a backward step like Flyboy and play Graham and Kerridge

I'm overrating bullants players? How?? I've been the one who has been suggesting that our list has been a bottom4 list for a couple years now. Flyboy and co keep tell me we are finals bound.

I haven't called for Graham, or Kerridge.
I'm calling for kids ahead of them.
I'm calling for blokes who put in, Jack.

Let me ask you a question or 2.

Were you happy with our performance against Gold Coast?
Were you happy with our team selections leading up to that (before and after the Kreuzer stuff up)
Are you convinced we are heading in the right direction?

Reply #265
I haven't called for Graham, or Kerridge.
I'm calling for kids ahead of them.
I'm calling for blokes who put in, Jack.

No more boat anchors extending their careers at the expense of kids, just play the kid.

Were you happy with our team selections leading up to that (before and after the Kreuzer stuff up)

Don't call this a stuff up, there is no way they were caught of guard and phrasing it like it was some sort of misfortune that Kreuzer didn't get up allows the MC off the hook. They planned and instigated that team selection, media rumors were Kreuzer was never a chance and the media were right onto it all week long. So what happened yesterday wasn't an accident or a misfortune, it was deliberate!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #266

Kerridge was ripping it up when given the chance late last season.....and had better DE than both Smurf and Gibba.

Makes no sense to have Dow running around in the 1s like a headless chook when you know Kerridge will get you 25+ decent possessions.

Don't agree.   This is not the 80's when you need to play 100 VFL games before your AFL debut.

Dow is going to learn a lot more from Cripps and Kruezer (when fit) in a AFL then he will in the VFL.   Kerridge will offer more in the short term, but playing him and Graham stops getting games into talented kids which will benefit the team in the long run.

Look.   In short our list is pox.   It's really bad and unbalanced.   How we started favourite against the Suns amazed me.

Have a look at our 22-26 year olds.   The guys on your list that should have reached 60-100 games plus and are consistent in thier output.

Casboult, Levi
Jones, Liam
Phillips, Andrew
Shaw, Matt (R)
Mullett, Aaron
O'Shea, Cameron
Lamb, Jed
Kerridge, Sam
Docherty, Sam
Graham, Nicholas
Plowman, Lachlan
Byrne, Ciaran
Cripps, Patrick
Lang, Darcy

Cripps and ????   Plowman.   Doc of course.   No need to back the truck over the wasted draft picks, but our core is made up of recycled players and very little talent.     This in the group that should be stepping up, not Dow, SPS, Fisher, Polson and Cunningham who should be showing signs of improvement.

The Suns.

Hall, Aaron
Thompson, Rory
May, Steven
Nicholls, Tom
Lyons, Jarryd
Day, Sam
Witts, Jarrod
Lynch, Tom
Swallow, David
Young, Aaron
Sexton, Alex
Lemmens, Sean
Lonergan, Jesse
Martin, Jack
Leslie, Jack
Holman, Nicholas (R)
Willis, Mackenzie (R)
Kolodjashnij, Kade
Miller, Touk
Weller, Lachlan

Reply #267

Kerridge is one of the boat anchors, he offers us nothing for the long term future.

It's a blight on our club that we de-listed young players like Gowers and Holman, often to pick up players like Smedts, Palmer and Lamb and then keep guys like Kerridge, Casboult and Graham on the list for extended periods.

On Murphy, he could win a Brownlow and you'd bag him out, go and have a read of the Jim Park voting to understand how few share your opinion, then ask yourself why they don't bother debating you? Have a good look inside and wake up to yourself, your vitriol doesn't cut it as a valid argument!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #268

After the first couple of years of using bags of balls I believe the AFL required the manufacturer to artificially kick the balls in, they use some sort of giant tumbler to do this. But even so the bags full of balls still means that each ball is shiny new and slippery as all get out when they first enter play, they never really get scuffed up enough to become easily gripped!

I suppose the lack of mud and dirt also impacts this, the games are basically played on carpet with little on no abrasive particles!

Funny the ball problem comes  up this week.
I think it was the Giants game where this was mentioned. The commentators said the players thought there was something wrong with the ball. Go figure- maybe there's something in Fev's comments.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #269
Were you happy with our performance against Gold Coast?
Are you convinced we are heading in the right direction?

a)  No.   It was a poor performance.  Our forwardline was terrible.   No space.   No one creating space.   No one leading towards the ball carrier.   Best at this were Curnow, Thomas and Lamb.   Weitering was lost and just got in the way.   Not a forward, however with Marchbank and Jones we don't really need 3 talls.    Struggled for a match up, however for his development I would prefer to play him in the seniors.  

b)  None have really bothered me.    I would have liked to see McKay play much for the same reasons as Weittering.    I don't think he is ready, but the more games he and Curnow play in the same forwardline the better.   Silvagni I love but I not sure what role he plays in the modern game.   Not tall enough/Not quick enough.   Hard to find a similar type in any of the successful sides.

c)  List wise yes.   I like the influx of youth, but it was alway going to bring pain.   We (Carlton Supporters) piss and moan about Gibbs and Murphy, but they are class players and you can't expect the kids to step up and replace a Gibbs.    He will dominate at the Crows with Crouch (x2) and Sloane.    He will make dills like Spanner look silly.   Yeah we are better off without Gibbs and Murphy ;(