Skip to main content
Topic: GM to dump Holden (Read 27147 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GM to dump Holden

Reply #75
Assembler must have had a big night on the soju??

Have you tried the Naval Rating Soju, there is company marketing it in Japan as an alternative to Scotch, at 57% on the rocks it goes alright and is closer in flavour to a Saké­ than a Scotch, very moreish! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
Have you tried the Naval Rating Soju, there is company marketing it in Japan as an alternative to Scotch, at 57% on the rocks it goes alright and is closer in flavour to a Saké­ than a Scotch, very moreish! ;D

Unfortunately my drinking is quite restricted these days for health reasons so no I haven't tried it.  Sounds good though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #77

Damn! Something else to add to the shopping list  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #78
Unfortunately my drinking is quite restricted these days for health reasons so no I haven't tried it.  Sounds good though.

Me too, everything in small doses. :(

I've not seen it here in OZ, oddly I was introduced to it in Jakarta! :o

Japanese whiskey, saké and other spirits have become quite popular in Indonesia, and yes I get the contradiction! btw., If you want to try just about any drink on the planet there is a bar on the mezzanine floor in Dubai's Airport that is a library of both global premium spirits and alcoholic despotic sheikhs! If it's a premium alcohol and made anywhere on the globe, one that isn't as common as muck, they've probably got it. If they haven't it's a sure bet by the next time you are travelling through they've had some flown in! An associate refers to it as the Library of Incongruity!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
I'd be drinking more if I owned a Nissan Leaf, story has come to my attention about a 2012 Leaf Owner who has been having battery problems. Been getting about 25k out of the battery with the heater on, so goes to his local Nissan Dealer who says his 5 year battery warranty has expired and he will need to pay for a new battery.
Ok he says and gets an invoice printed out, rubs his eyes, cleans the glasses but the figures and decimal points dont change, $33,000 installed if you dont mind :o
In the hands of consumer affairs now, original car was $53K new, think I'll be sticking to my petrol guzzling, air polluting vehicle until Nissan, Tesla etc and other EV makers can guarantee their batteries for a bit longer and have reasonably priced replacements..

Reply #80
.... and shorten wanted conversion to EVs?  With nightmares like this one, rather convincing evidence they're many years short of practicality.  How the hell do you survive on such a pathetic range? 

Let's all go back to DOS 2.0, no mobiles and the horse and buggy    

Reply #81
I'm firing up the old Stanley Steamer as we speak!  :))

Reply #82
I'd be drinking more if I owned a Nissan Leaf, story has come to my attention about a 2012 Leaf Owner who has been having battery problems. Been getting about 25k out of the battery with the heater on, so goes to his local Nissan Dealer who says his 5 year battery warranty has expired and he will need to pay for a new battery.
Ok he says and gets an invoice printed out, rubs his eyes, cleans the glasses but the figures and decimal points dont change, $33,000 installed if you dont mind :o
In the hands of consumer affairs now, original car was $53K new, think I'll be sticking to my petrol guzzling, air polluting vehicle until Nissan, Tesla etc and other EV makers can guarantee their batteries for a bit longer and have reasonably priced replacements..

The cost of batteries must have skyrocketed since 2017 -

If you own a 2011 to 2015 Nissan LEAF, replacing the battery will cost you exactly $5,499, plus installation, which the company estimates will take about 3 hours. Owners of 2011 and 2012 cars must also add $225 for a special adapter kit to retrofit the new battery to their cars. 4 Oct 2017

Or someone is telling porkies  :). In fact, the price of EV batteries has plummeted recently.

Back on Jeeps, a punter was quoted $15,000 for six injectors (plus labour) by a dealer in the western suburbs.  They are available from Mopar for $156 a pop.  That is a sale price, reduced from $237.  I imagine that’s US dollars.

It seems that the dealer took the list price and added some zeroes  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #83
Maybe he was talking to the wrong kind of dealer about the wrong kind of injection?

Reply #84
The cost of batteries must have skyrocketed since 2017 -

Or someone is telling porkies  :). In fact, the price of EV batteries has plummeted recently.

Back on Jeeps, a punter was quoted $15,000 for six injectors (plus labour) by a dealer in the western suburbs.  They are available from Mopar for $156 a pop.  That is a sale price, reduced from $237.  I imagine that’s US dollars.

It seems that the dealer took the list price and added some zeroes  ::)

Mate who sent me the story sent me this after I questioned the price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_zdtaJeYmw&t=133s

Think I'll believe the Lennock Motors invoice from the ACT in that video over that price of $5499 which was quoted by a journo from Rhode Island, maybe he drives a Nissan for free... ;)

And this:Data collected by Nissan indicates that a LEAF battery should last as long as 22 years, according to Francisco Carranza, Managing Director of Renault-Nissan Energy Services. Nissan monitors various parameters, including charging patterns and battery degradation, on the over 400,000 LEAFs it has sold in Europe since 2011.

And battery warranty is 5-6 years?.....might last 22 years, doesnt mean it will hold any charge though...

Reply #85
Direct from Nissan Australia:

Dear

Capacity of Lithium-ion batteries decrease with time and usage, which is a normal fact of battery technology. Nissan put in place a battery exchange program on April 1st for any customers of a series 1 LEAF where their Lithium-Ion battery no longer provided the owner with the capacity to support their driving range requirements.

This exchange program is only available to Nissan LEAF owners where:

1. The Nissan LEAF is an Australian delivered vehicle
2. The Lithium-Ion battery pack shows a State of Health of 8 bars or less
3. Only in exchange of a working Lithium-Ion battery pack
4. The replacement of the battery must be undertaken at a LEAF certified Nissan Dealer

As of the 1st of April 2019, the retail price of the Lithium-Ion battery pack is $9,990, plus the cost of fitment for this exchange. The removal and replacement time is capped at 5.8 hours.

Whilst the cost is above $10K after labour, it is a 24Kw battery and when you consider the costs of a home battery storage system of that capacity – it actually compares quite favourably.

Thanks,

Ben Warren
National Manager
Electrification and Mobility
Nissan Motor Co. (Australia) Pty. Ltd.

So, they are charging more for a larger capacity battery.  $10K is a fair whack but a long way off $33K.  Even if the vehicle didn't meet the criteria, it's hard to see how the price could treble unless the dealer is scamming.

By the way, the new Nissan Leaf is priced at $49K plus on road costs.  You would probably want to change over at around 3 years to guard against battery failure, and the environmental footprint of a new EV is massive.

Reply #86
Spoke to an engineer from Nissan a month or so ago and he said they won't be making petrol engines in 2027. Reckons most other car makers are going the same way.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #87
Spoke to an engineer from Nissan a month or so ago and he said they won't be making petrol engines in 2027. Reckons most other car makers are going the same way.

Think I read that about Jaguar going that way even sooner, reckon more hybrids between now and then too...

Reply #88
The days of the internal combustion engine are numbered, unless the rumours about a breakthrough in hydrogen fuelled engines are realised.

Reply #89
So instead of being beholden to OPEC the battery companies will own us.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?