Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs Coburg (Read 2768 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs Coburg

Set down for Saturday at 1300 at Coburg.
In theory we should win, but the reality is that we don't have a lot of talent to put on the park. The VFL has been strengthened by 2 new players, including ruckman Luke Goetz, but we still have very little height in our line-up and not a lot of inside ball-getters.
I assume the team will come out soon, but it hasn't been seen yet.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs Coburg

Reply #1
Backs:  Cooper Stephens  Stefan Radovanovic  Ryley Stoddart
Half-backs:  Brodie Kemp  Luke Parks  Sam Ramsay
Centreline:  Matt Cottrell  Lochie O'Brien  Tom North
Half-forwards:  Joel Trudgeon  Toby Wooller  Josh Honey
Forwards:  Corey Durdin  Ben Crocker   David Handley
Followers:  Luke Goetz   Jack Carroll   James Parsons
Interchange:  Dale Marshall    Matt Shannon   Zavier Maher  Cody Hirst        
Emergency:   Lachlan Gawel   Lachlan Bond   Ben Caluzzi  Aaron Gundry

Our defence is still very small and I doubt that Ramsay will play at Half back.
The forward line also has height issues.

It will be interesting to see how Zavier Maher and David Handley go. They are debuting and should improve our inside work.
Basically, the team simply has to put in like they did in the first couple of weeks.

It will be interesting to see how Trudgeon goes as well. he found the extra pace and physicality a bit of an issue last week. he should be better for the run.

I don't like Lachie O'Brien in the middle. he isn't an inside player and isn't going to get the clearances we need.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
I don't like Lachie O'Brien in the middle. he isn't an inside player and isn't going to get the clearances we need.
He needs to toughen up and if forcing him to get the contested ball doesn't do it, then nothing will.

He simply isn't the great user of the ball we all hoped he was....he panics too much.
So add another string to your bow now, there won't be a next year otherwise.

If it was just about wins, swap Cottrell and LOB. But its about development IMO.

I'd be interested to see how well Crocker does as the main man up forward. Could he have a day out being the main target or could he succumb to the pressures of being the #1 guy defenders will want to stop?

Reply #3
He needs to toughen up and if forcing him to get the contested ball doesn't do it, then nothing will.

He simply isn't the great user of the ball we all hoped he was....he panics too much.

If it was just about wins, swap Cottrell and LOB. But its about development IMO.

I'd be interested to see how well Crocker does as the main man up forward. Could he have a day out being the main target or could he succumb to the pressures of being the #1 guy defenders will want to stop?
I don't think he'll have too many problems. He been the #1 forward for most of the year. It will depend on how the ball gets down there, as he isn't 200 cm tall.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4

I wouldn't be playing him as an inside mid.   He is a winger/half back type.    I don't agree he is a bad kick.   Technically he is a good kick.

For mine he tends to make poor decisions when fatigued.   His errors in the Richmond game were late in the game or after repeat sprints.

Ironically for a player recruited for his endurance I don't think he is fit enough.

Seems to be a common theme amongst our list at the moment as we concede goals late in quarters and late in games.

Let him play the role he was recruited for.   We should have learnt by Dow, Setterfield, ZWilliams, SPS and co that playing players out of position doesn't work.

Reply #6
Crocker is interesting to watch, at VFL level he is so strong one on one they have to stand big heavy lumbering players on him, and he's got them easily covered across the ground. He wouldn't get that advantage in the AFL.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
I wouldn't be playing him as an inside mid.   He is a winger/half back type.    I don't agree he is a bad kick.   Technically he is a good kick.

For mine he tends to make poor decisions when fatigued.   His errors in the Richmond game were late in the game or after repeat sprints.

I agree on your take. I think you misunderstand mine.

He makes poor decisions because he is playing scared IMO. Let him get hit a few times by playing as an inside mid and see that he will be ok. Then put him back on the wing and let him build his confidence back up. Then he is ready for AFL level.

His issue is he panics and has no confidence, avoids contact. Get that out of him and we might be able to salvage something......but i think its too late personally.

Reply #8
Does anyone have a player/jumper list?

Reply #9
Does anyone have a player/jumper list?
The problem is that the have changed the numbers recently. Not for everyone, just a few.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
4 goals down at half time. :(
Carlton 4 - 3 - 27
Coburg 8 - 4 - 52
That is a bad sign indeed.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
https://twitter.com/CarltonReserves/status/1411173404879687686/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1411173404879687686%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Not all of the players are listed. I don't know who 7 is. for example.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13

Backs:  Cooper Stephens  Stefan Radovanovic  Ryley Stoddart
Half-backs:  Brodie Kemp  Luke Parks  Sam Ramsay
Centreline:                           Lochie O'Brien  Tom North
Half-forwards:  Joel Trudgeon  Toby Wooller  Josh Honey
Forwards:  Corey Durdin  Ben Crocker   David Handley
Followers:  Luke Goetz   Jack Carroll   James Parsons
Interchange:  Dale Marshall    Matt Shannon     Cody Hirst        
   Lachlan Bond   Ben Caluzzi 
No Zavier Maher at the last moment, which is very disappointing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
You really notice the difference when big Mirkov is out there. He guides his taps and allows us to get really good centre breaks.
Goetz is doing OK, but he doesn't have a feel for team mates at the moment. He gets a tap and it is up for grabs.

For all that, we are playing better this quarter and have a few goals. The score is close.
Live Long and Prosper!