Skip to main content
Topic: Welcome to CSC: 2017 (Read 20039 times) previous topic - next topic

Welcome to CSC: 2017

We've had a number of new posters join us recently, so I just want to throw out an official welcome to everyone.

Here at CSC we're all about creating an inclusive environment for all passionate Carlton supporters. You'll find on the notice board all of the necessary information to get you started (code of conduct, 'how to' guides etc) but if you'd like to use this as a way to introduce yourselves to the group, please feel free to do so.

Please don't be shy, feel free to post and get amongst it. We encourage healthy debate and opinion (as long as it's respectful) and want as many different insights into this great game as we can get. 

If you have any questions about where to post if you're starting up a new thread, or any general feedback, please don't hesitate to message myself or any of the other moderators.

Re: Welcome to CSC: 2017

Reply #1
I'll also kick of an introduction:

I'm Navy Maven (obviously) also known as Jell in the real world  :) I'm 31, so for most of my football following life, Carlton have been pretty ordinary..don't know what that says about me, maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.

Have been posting on here for the best part of 10 years I think (gotta admit, that's gone really quickly).

Favourite current player is Jack Silvagni, favourite past player is Lance Whitnall (don't hold that against me).

Best Carlton memory.....well it used to be the '99 prelim, but after going to the inaugural AFLW match between Carlton and Collingwood, I think that's eclipsed it. Such an overwhelming sense of pride seeing that happen in front of 25,000 people at Princes Park, especially when I've played with or against a number of the women running around out there. 

Here's hoping I get to see a bit more Carlton success in my next 30 odd years!

Reply #2
Hi Folks...and welcome to the new people.

I'm Lods (real name Laurie)

Carlton follower since 1968 ( a good year to start following them  :D)
Member of this site since 2002 (not a very good year :()

8 flags in the first 30 years kind of spoiled me which is why I find the last twenty years hard to take.

Favouite player: Jesaulenko
Favourite current player: Simpson
Favourite coach: Parkin
Favourite game: 1970 Grand final
Favourite H&A game :Round 2 1969-Carlton 30.30 def hawthorn 12.10,

Favourite other sport:Track and field

Reply #3
I'd also like to give a shout out to our new supporters. Welcome.

As a relative newcomer to CSC, I thought I'd offer something different to NM and Lods.

I'll share what I see as the benefits of being part of CSC.
It's provided me with:

- endless opportunity to rant anything Carlton (can't do that so much in my real life - living with Saints supporter)

- learning so much from the wisdom of others. From club history to footy analysis, structure, and position Intel to business and marketing.

- lots of laughs (my work life is pretty serious and stressful). This gives me some balance  :)) that's good for my mental health

- challenge my own opinions. You get to put your 2c worth in (say about who to recruit), then see how close you were (or not as is often the case for me). It's a bit like a tipping competition, but about more than W-L. Comes with the same little thrill if you're on the money.

- perhaps most importantly, I feel like I belong to a cool group of like minded others. Anyone who sees life from a Blues perspective is a dead set legend in my book. It's a place where I can safely vent (yes I'm sooky when we lose), speculate, learn, and just have fun.

I love the diversity of opinion and look forward to hearing your views on all that is Carlton.

Welcome Bluebaggers ^-^
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #4
Love your work LN  :)

Reply #5
OK, good idea Navy....

Long time member (from the old csc days), occasional poster.....avid follower.

Malo - real name Mal.....well, that's tricky isn't it.  Born in a Premiership year...one far too long ago after our 2nd longest premiership drought was broken !  Located in the far south......no, not Geelong....keep going over the water !

Favourite Carlton memory: 

attending the 95 Grand Final,
watching the 99 prelim at a BBQ surrounded by Essendon supporters,
being at game at the MCG with my dad & watching a Fev inspired comeback from about 30 points down at half time to beat Collingwood in a H&A game.

Favourite Player:  Bruce Doull - Just did his job at the elite level week in week out, no fuss, no flashiness

Favourite current player:  Kade Simpson - see above description for Bruce Doull !

Looking forward to more success from the Blues before I leave this world !!!!

cheers

Mal.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #6
LP;- Fanatical Carlton supporter.

Real name;- Pat, too old to be using the Interweb.

Favorite Carlton moment;
 - Fraser Brown's tackle of alleged TB4 Label Writer and Footy Punting expert Dean Wallis!

Favorite Players;
Growing Up - Southby (Mr Reliable.)
Later - Doull (Not much more to say.)
A Bit Later Again - Diesel (Shear brutality and bloody mindedness!)
Current - Brianna Davey (A class above the bulk of our list(Male or Female!))

Favourite Coach;- Parkin

Favourite Jumper;- Classic Vintage

Favourite Alternative Jumper;- Silver (The current one is not too bad either!)

Favourite Ground;- MCG (Princes Park close 2nd)

Least Favourite Ground;
Now - Docklands / Etihad / etc., etc..
Back Then - Moorabbin (And the animals within!)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Gointocarlton: The handle comes from the good old days when every star player from other clubs were always "going to Caaaaarltn".
Name: Nando
Heritage: Italian (but Aussie from cradle to grave)
Moto: "you can barrack for whoever you like....as long as its Carlton"
Favorite quote: "we are Carlton, f--- the rest" (I know there were alot of people who didnt like it when Stick said that, I personally loved it!)
Favorite game: 99 Prelim
2nd Favorite Game: 95 Granny
Favorite All Time Carlton Player: Cant name one, Andrew Mckay and Kade Simpson are me two all timers which I cant split. Why? Not superstars of the comp but ever reliable, team first, ruthless on the field, gave 120% week in week out, dire defenders (close to my heart), only those in the inner sanctum know their true worth and importance to the team, play(ed) for the jumper. Doull would have been the same I'm sure but these two combine old school qualities into the modern era. Blokes like that are the heart and soul of your club
Favorite Other Sports: All sport except anything American. I'd rather m--------- with a cheese grater than watch anything that's American sport.
Most hated team: Cheats FC by the length of the The Nullabor.
Favorite Ground: The G
Least Favorite Ground: Etihad
Least Favorite Ground back in the Day: Viccy Park

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8
Great idea. Well done NM. Welcome one and all.

Started barracking for the mighty bluebaggers in '64 as a toddler.
First game attended: R8 1964 v Sth Melbourne at the Lakeside Oval. We won by 25pts. One of the few wins that year.
Real name: Shane (yes, after the Alan Ladd western - thanks mum!)
Married, two daughters - either could be the anti-Christ  ;)
Live: Black Rock (moving back to the country soon - can't stand traffic and snobs).
Blood: Danish/Norwegian & Scottish/Irish.
Favourite past player(s): Gary Crane, Brent Crosswell, Maurie Sankey, Ragsy Gould, Jezza, Dommi, Rhys, Motts.
Favourite recent/current player: SOS/Fev/Darcy Vescio!
Best h/a games: v Eagles '87, Kangabies '87 - last game.
Best finals: '70, '72 (loved seeing Sheedy spewing), '82 & '99 prelim (loved seeing Sheedy spewing again!)
Best coach: Barassi, closely followed by big Nick and Parko.
Worst memories: time under Pagan and MM.
Favourite ground: Princes Park.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
Maurie Sankey,

I couldn't let that one pass Baggers.......one out of left field for most Blues supporters in recent history.  A Tassie boy, a hundred gamer by the time he was 25 & from all reports a heart the size of Phar Lap.  Must have ripped the guts out of the club when he tragically lost his life.  Deserves to be mentioned more than he does.  Well done mate.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #10
I couldn't let that one pass Baggers.......one out of left field for most Blues supporters in recent history.  A Tassie boy, a hundred gamer by the time he was 25 & from all reports a heart the size of Phar Lap.  Must have ripped the guts out of the club when he tragically lost his life.  Deserves to be mentioned more than he does.  Well done mate.

Maurie Sankey, Gordon Collis and one other player, whose name escapes me, lived in a house with one of my brother's mates.  His mother was their host, as was the way many players were accommodated back in those days.  I used to see them at the Sydney Road shops when I was a little tacker and Maurie always said "G'day".  I was devastated when I heard about his car accident  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Maurie Sankey, Gordon Collis and one other player, whose name escapes me, lived in a house with one of my brother's mates.  His mother was their host, as was the way many players were accommodated back in those days.  I used to see them at the Sydney Road shops when I was a little tacker and Maurie always said "G'day".  I was devastated when I heard about his car accident  :(

John Reilly?

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-11-06/old-mates-remember-sankey

Reply #12
John Reilly?

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-11-06/old-mates-remember-sankey

How could I forget John?  We played geriatric basketball together for 10-15 years and I still see him occasionally!

John used to get a bit embarrassed when I spoke about watching him play for the mighty Blues when I was in primary school.  Interestingly, John played more games with Footscray but his allegiance is to Carlton.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
Hi guys, long time member, big time reader, small time poster.

Love everyone's ideas and views and wish I had the time, knowledge and in depth thinking some of you guys have. Enjoyable reading.

Fanatical Carlton supporter all my life as is my family...as it was said before "You can barrack for who ever you like... as long as it is Carlton!"

Real name;- Scott

Favorite Carlton moment;
 - There are many, many favorite moments. Probably first ones that come to mind would be Lance Whitnall's kick from outside 50 in the last qtr in the 99 prelim or that crazy goal from the crowd by Fev against Adelaide.

Favorite Players;
Growing Up - Jezza (Have one of his jumpers  :) )
Later - SOS
Current - Crippa

Favourite Coach;- Parkin

Favourite Jumper;- Classic Vintage

Favourite Alternative Jumper;- Baby Blue Colour (I also barrack for Sturt)

Favourite Ground;- MCG

Least Favourite Ground;
Now - ANZ stadium
Back Then - Waverley (too large, players were so small over the other side)

Go Blues and the Bluettes  ;D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #14
I too came from the other site....
Attended: '79,'81,'82,'87,'95 flags, and the "other" ones...
Best Game Anytime:'99 Prelim (Scum members lined up for GF tickets, not bothered to go to the day that changed everything(Big Jeff's last day too) rode that magic last Kouta quarter every kick/mark)
Lived in Station St so saw every last quarter from '85 to '90
Cried the day Motts was lost to us, then cried when Deano stood on the podium and dedicated the '87 season to Him and Des
Shook Kenny Hunters hand one day in Canning St, then had Teddy break every finger
Saw Kouta own the Eagles in the last quarter in 2000 at Princess Park
Was on the flank when Bradles dobbed the torpe from 65m
Was also there when Blight smashed it from the wing, and when that good ordinary player took the mark of the year over Flanigan in the goal square
Can attest that Helen Demica (?) was really NOT BLONDE!!
And that Doull was God
As much as I want my boy to share the glory that is Carlton, I've had such a good time, my poor dear wife is a sainter, say no more....
By the way Hanwell is the village in the UK where I lived and was the guv of the pub.....
I was there, Blight missed!!!