Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 7: Post Game Pleasure: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 51444 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 7: Post Game Pleasure: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #150
Nah,

Keogh posts very rarely and Caz the same.

Caz cops a lot of personal abuse from posters because of hi association with the club.
I can understand that. Things were going badly, especially on the recruiting front and he was in the firing line. There were a LOT of guys who were willing to spread a little blame (and more) in his direction.
It is a pity, as they were basically shooting their best source of real information.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #151
But he's played three good games in a row and still gets called a passenger.

He's been good, end of story. Next week he might be bad but people will ignore the fact he's played three good games.

There's absolutely no doubt he feels the heat, but so would I if i'd played in our backline as they've got absolutely no help for two years from the rest of the team in either pressuring the ball carrier or getting back to help out.

Yes quite. Rowe has had the measure of the champion forwards more times than not this year. Seems to have adapted to the changes rather smoothly. I'm a fan and will be until his younger protégé is ready :))
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #152
I think Jammo's lack of form and our new team-defense setup has enabled Rowe to step up into the role of General. He seems to be thriving, is starting to clunk marks, leave his opponent to make the 3rd man up and is also tackling aggressively.

Lets not underestimate the influence Weitering has had on the older heads, the kid is a breath of fresh air!

Finally, are we starting to see the effects of having a positive coach, one that isn't a perennial head kicker?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #153
I think Jammo's lack of form and our new team-defense setup has enabled Rowe to step up into the role of General. He seems to be thriving, is starting to clunk marks, leave his opponent to make the 3rd man up and is also tackling aggressively.

Lets not underestimate the influence Weitering has had on the older heads, the kid is a breath of fresh air!

Finally, are we starting to see the effects of having a positive coach, one that isn't a perennial head kicker?

It seems ridiculous to say after a handful of games, but did Plowman miss Weitering's influence yesterday, which, in turn put him under the pump?? Instead of having a calm, steadying influence back there with him, he had an out of sorts Jammo who seemed all at sea.

Reply #154
It seems ridiculous to say after a handful of games, but did Plowman miss Weitering's influence yesterday, which, in turn put him under the pump?? Instead of having a calm, steadying influence back there with him, he had an out of sorts Jammo who seemed all at sea.

I would defintely say yes. Don't underestimate the effect a genuinely top talented kid can have on a group especially when you are replacing someone like Jamo. Weitering is just that good that it's like having a 200 gamer out there. He is going to transform this group just watch.

Reply #155
The reason that people "bag him out" is the dropped marks and the lack of agility, both traits that are needed at FB/CHB. I would love to know how many uncontested overhead marks Sam has dropped this season.

That being said he was excellent yesterday against a young athletic opponent. I think he gets the team defence we are going with much more than Jammo and that's why he is played ahead of him. Sam Rowe will never drop his head and sulk, will give 100% and at the moment he is our best big defender.

Start marking the overhead marks and Sam is a lock for another 2 years.

I still haven't seen the game - the Internet is very slow in Birdsville - but I thought I'd chip in with a comment about Rowe.  Last week Hodge was a guest commentator and he spoke about how strong Rowe is.  Hodge wouldn't say something like that unless Rowe's strength was out of the ordinary.

You're right about him holding his marks.  If he had more confidence in his marking I reckon he'd spoil less and Mark more.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #156
Btw - watched the replay last night after attending the game, is there any danger of Hamish McLachlan actually calling the correct player's names? As bad a call I've seen in that regard for a very long time.

Then a comment from the "I'm desperate to say something to justify my existence" Brad Sewell on the boundary line in the last quarter whereby he seemed to get great joy out of saying that our disposal was terrible......well, looking at the scoreboard & the overall disposal efficiency a the time would suggest otherwise you deadset flog.

He may be no star, but watching the replay also highlights some of the 1%-ers Liam Jones contributes to this team at the moment.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Re: Rd 7: Post Game .........: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #157
It's only a little thing but have you noticed how we've taken on the Hawthorn habit of cribbing half a step over the mark but pointing in an exaggerated manner to the notional spot to fool the umps. Go Bolts! Go!

Love this!!  It always used to p me off to see the Hawks do it, and our guys would be "is this ok? How about I take 2 steps back, 3 maybe?".  As you said "little things" but they all add up

Re: Rd 7: Post Game .........: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #158
Treloar is a jet. Ed beat him today but Treloar will get better.

I thought he was pretty good, quick and clean with it.  Just only runs one way, that's all. But he ain't Robinson Crusoe there - geez those pies mids love to take off at just a hint of a teammate winning the pill.... Great to beat the front running fks

Reply #159
Some very negative posters on here 'still' after notching in up 3 in a row.

They say we win ugly and only beat of of form ordinary teams, yet in the last 3 years these so called ordinary sides pumped us along with everyone else - we were the side that even ordinary sides we would play back into form.....Well not this year.

Don't forget where we were at the same stage last year. And still with plenty of upside, so improve in those areas and watch out. We look unified, settled in defence, play to a plan and don't rely on a few stars to get us over the line.

As BB said we are on a journey - enjoy it.

Also is it just me or is Docherty the most unrated player.  Hear very little about him in the media yet not many better in the league then this fellow in the role he plays. So relaxed when he is near the ball.

Maybe winning 4 in a row might impress those still wanting more.

Reply #160
Did anyone see Bolton link arms in the huddle at 3 quarter time. This little man is building something special IMO. Haven't seen that before in a H/A game.

Also Trelor was on Sunday Footy show.

Said blues players do a lot of talking and directing on the field and
said was surprised as to how determined we were all day. Didn't drop off at all.

Everything points to players 100% buying into this coaches plan.

Can't ask for more then that.

Reply #161
Did anyone see Bolton link arms in the huddle at 3 quarter time. This little man is building something special IMO. Haven't seen that before in a H/A game.

Also Trelor was on Sunday Footy show.

Said blues players do a lot of talking and directing on the field and
said was surprised as to how determined we were all day. Didn't drop off at all.

Can't ask for more then that.

Shawny were are on the right horse alright mate! I will stick my head right up over the parapet now and say that I'm very confident we are going to become a very formidable and feared force in AFL footy with BB, and SOS, at the club.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #162
im not concerned with which player at the moment is good or not.
The confidence in me grows, because for once in a long while, we have a very good coach
He is astute, intelligent, measured and consistent in his message. He is devoted to his message and the playing group
believes this.
We had good players in the past that we lost over the journey, because the club was lost and directionless and the players came second
My comfort today come from the fact that we have a coach that will ensure that the next group of good players will stay and thrive as the group and its mission comes first.

Reply #163

It's an interesting point.

At the start of the season, in the first couple of games, it would probably be fair to say that the "Older Carlton" players (those that had been at the club for more than just a year or two) were struggling to get back to their 2015 form....and it wasn't just one or two, it was the majority.

The enthusiasm was very much being shown by the new players and it had me wondering whether some of the older players mightn't have been a bit resistant to the change....whether some could perhaps see themselves been replaced by the new group.

Over the last three weeks that seems to have turned around.
The older group are going as well, if not better than the new guys.
A bit of it has been caused by injuries and illness (Weitering,C Curnow Phillips), but the older group have stepped up now and are playing like they're 100% on-board.

Reply #164
The only player in any real danger on the back of yesterday's game is jamison.

Everyone played their part in what was an excellent team win given where we are at, but he is one player who seems to have lost the ability to compete.

He will try though, but he is the only one I can see who the game seems to have passed by.

He has been an excellent servant of the club, but those shoulder injuries appear to have gotten the better of him.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson