Skip to main content
Topic: List Changes 2018 (Read 81025 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: List Changes 2018

Reply #180
You've hit the nail on the head DJC. Levi is a back up ruck for 2019. I did mention that possibility earlier but I hadn't realised SOS had actually stated it.

Since Rowe is now gone, I think we will struggle having a good defensive match up for players like Lynch and Roughy.....I wonder if Levi could do a Jones, transfer from forward to back and take on the gorillas?

Reply #181

Since Rowe is now gone, I think we will struggle having a good defensive match up for players like Lynch and Roughy.....I wonder if Levi could do a Jones, transfer from forward to back and take on the gorillas?

Levi doesnt have the mobility, ball hits ground and Levi is baggage.......you would have thought if we were going to pension off Rowe we would have had a replacement in mind, especially after Alex Silvagni retired as well. I agree we will struggle to hold the real big units down back.....Jones has leaked goals and Weitering is still finding his feet ,doesnt enjoy the big bodies, and prefers the intercept role. Marchbank isnt big enough to play the KP spots IMO and like JW enjoys the intercept marking role better.
SOS needs to find us a KP back and quick....no use improving the forward line if we are going to be pummelled down the other end......

Reply #182

I think that's right Dave, the gorilla minder role will now fall on others, e.g. Jones, Weitering, who have yet to prove they are fully up to that job. We will definitely need to tighten up our defensive efforts all over the ground next year to better control opposition's F50 entries. Bit of a punt if you ask me but we'll have to see.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #183
Levi's weakest characteristic is his body on body competitiveness, he's far too easily disposed of in one on one contests by players significantly smaller. If you want him to stand the gorillas in a defensive role he needs to improve that part of his game dramatically.

Levi is a running jumping player, if we make him a key defender the opposition will almost certainly drag him to the goal square.

FWIW, Jones and Weitering have shown similar deficiencies, but of course Weitering is still developing so I think we should show some faith.

I agree with the suggestion some have made that Kerr might be an option, his strength is the body on body stuff, and he has an effective leap and reach.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #184
Levi's weakest characteristic is his body on body competitiveness, he's far too easily disposed of in one on one contests by players significantly smaller. If you want him to stand the gorillas in a defensive role he needs to improve that part of his game dramatically.

Levi is a running jumping player, if we make him a key defender the opposition will almost certainly drag him to the goal square.

FWIW, Jones and Weitering have shown similar deficiencies, but of course Weitering is still developing so I think we should show some faith.

I agree with the suggestion some have made that Kerr might be an option, his strength is the body on body stuff, and he has an effective leap and reach.

Levi will not become a defender.

Kerr will be lucky to displace McKay, Curnow or McGovern in our F50 so perhaps a switch to defence is his best bet....a good size at 194cm, 95kg odd (May for example is 193cm, 101kg)..

at 20yo will only get stronger and fitter.

Weiters is 195cm, 95kg. Very similar....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #185

I'm struggling to think of premiership teams that have had a true gorilla minder anymore.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #186
I'm struggling to think of premiership teams that have had a true gorilla minder anymore.

I think it varies season to season with game trends and rule changes, it looks to me like the rule changes this year are intended to restore some of the effectiveness of KPFs and Rucks so I am sure you'll see a change in the KPDs as well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #187

Collingwood could have done with one vs WC..once Kennedy and Darling exerted their influence it was game over....
Melbourne have recognized their weakness having skinny kids down back and recruited May...

Its not about winning premierships at the minute either...we need to win games, having a undersized defense wont help....

Reply #188
Collingwood could have done with one vs WC..once Kennedy and Darling exerted their influence it was game over....
Melbourne have recognized their weakness having skinny kids down back and recruited May...

Its not about winning premierships at the minute either...we need to win games, having a undersized defense wont help....

It is interesting when you look at it from the losers perspective, and not just GFs as you highlight Melbourne's plight.

Even Nthmond's loss to the Filth a function of the inability to match up on Mason Cox, it seems it was at least a contributing factor?

I suppose it's a horses for courses debate, if they have them and they are an influence you need to be able to deal with them in some way!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #189

Agree and that's why I think one more year of Rowe may have been handy. He was obviously not a long term prospect going forward.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #190
Agree and that's why I think one more year of Rowe may have been handy. He was obviously not a long term prospect going forward.

I fear as we struggle to retain players like Charlie and Cripps you may well see more decisions like this, the displacement of long term experienced players with kids.

It is not just our club, it could be that this is symptomatic of the growth in marquee player wages outstripping the growth in the TPP.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #191
It is interesting when you look at it from the losers perspective, and not just GFs as you highlight Melbourne's plight.

Even Nthmond's loss to the Filth a function of the inability to match up on Mason Cox, it seems it was at least a contributing factor?

I suppose it's a horses for courses debate, if they have them and they are an influence you need to be able to deal with them in some way!

And yet the Tigers knew that 9 times out of 10, likely higher, Cx is a non event.

Tigers lost as soon as they chose to play an injured Dusty.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #192

Astbury was in hospital the night before the game and shouldn't have played.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #193
So, there's 2 down before first bounce....perhaps Hardwick was cocky?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #194
Losing (well,  greatly reduced effectiveness)  Astbury destroyed their defensive structure so prance couldn't play purely as a loose intercept tall.

Their midfield was swamped,  a fit Dusty wouldn't have made any difference and Cotchin didn't pick up the slack.

Comprehensively beaten IMO.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?