Skip to main content
Topic: List Changes 2018 (Read 80470 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: List Changes 2018

Reply #165
Sure we could.

But that doesn't address the other point. Rowe is 30.

But wouldn't he be OK for just one more year? Plenty of 30 and over players around? Or is he suffering after effects of his injury? I just find it a little surprising - Rowe imo would potentially be more useful to us next year than Casboult - or does Levi's possible use as a ruck backstop get him over the line?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #166
But wouldn't he be OK for just one more year? Plenty of 30 and over players around? Or is he suffering after effects of his injury? I just find it a little surprising - Rowe imo would potentially be more useful to us next year than Casboult - or does Levi's possible use as a ruck backstop get him over the line?

There must be more to it than we know, because it's clear Rowe is better value than some of the players we have retained. Maybe they have removed him to force players like Jones, Marchbank, Macreadie and Weitering to step up. Sort of like Cortes burning his ships!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #167
On SEN he said that he was told it's over,  no chance of being rookied etc.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #168
Freo could do worse....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #169
Guys it's a two way street.  These guys would have had some very mature conversations about things including where they see themselves vs where the club sees them to go with whatever goals they are setting for themselves.

I'm confident that Wright only left because of his coaching opportunity as well as the fact his wife is pregnant and he played accordingly in the second half of this season.

Sam Rowe had some similar moments IMHO.

We may still cut Levi loose too.  We seem happy to have retained one, but we might cut more. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #170
Yep. Levi must be on thin ice.

Reply #171
We may still cut Levi loose too.  We seem happy to have retained one, but we might cut more.

I reckon we are done with delistings.

Casboult is safe for another year.

IMO if there was any chance he would be cut, he would've gone before Rowe.

Keeping him around just gives us someone to cut next year. Don't forget we need to cut at least 3 next year as well. We might get a bit of help from some of the old guard retiring, Simpson, Thomas, Kreuzer, Murphy etc.....but perhaps none of them.

Reply #172
True but couldn't we have paid out Casboult? He can't be on that much and since we didn't land Shiel we must have some spare cash?

I'd happily accept not much if it added up to $350K  :)

We're simply not going to cut contracted players loose unless they muck up.  Besides, SOS made it perfectly clear that Casboult provides a back up ruck option and our ruck stocks are far from robust.

It's bad luck that Rowe couldn't manage one more game; having his name on the locker would have been well deserved recognition of the challenges he overcame in pursuing his AFL career.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #173

Keeping him around just gives us someone to cut next year. Don't forget we need to cut at least 3 next year as well. We might get a bit of help from some of the old guard retiring, Simpson, Docherty, Kreuzer, Murphy etc.....but perhaps none of them.

You’re a pretty astute and careful poster Kruddler.
I think you meant Thomas maybe?

Reply #174
I'd happily accept not much if it added up to $350K  :)

We're simply not going to cut contracted players loose unless they muck up.  Besides, SOS made it perfectly clear that Casboult provides a back up ruck option and our ruck stocks are far from robust.

It's bad luck that Rowe couldn't manage one more game; having his name on the locker would have been well deserved recognition of the challenges he overcame in pursuing his AFL career.

You've hit the nail on the head DJC. Levi is a back up ruck for 2019. I did mention that possibility earlier but I hadn't realised SOS had actually stated it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #175
I reckon we are done with delisting

Keeping him around just gives us someone to cut next year. Don't forget we need to cut at least 3 next year as well. We might get a bit of help from some of the old guard retiring, Simpson, Docherty, Kreuzer, Murphy etc.....but perhaps none of them.

if we have trouble finding 3 to cut at the end of the 2019 season, we will have the premiership cup in the cupboard.  ;D
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #176
You’re a pretty astute and careful poster Kruddler.
I think you meant Thomas maybe?

lol....yes, definitely Thomas.

Don't post after you've just got home from an engagement party with free grog.

I'm surprised that was the only mistake.

Thanks.

Reply #177

Keeping him around just gives us someone to cut next year. Don't forget we need to cut at least 3 next year as well. We might get a bit of help from some of the old guard retiring, Simpson, Thomas, Kreuzer, Murphy etc.....but perhaps none of them.

I know what you're getting at but IMHO we have quite a few in the gun for next season but we now start looking at our "rebuild" players.

Pickett
Jack Silvagni
Darcy Lang
Jarrod garlett
David Cunningham
Andrew Phillips
Cameron polson
Matthew kreuzer
Levi casboult
Matthew lobbe
Kade Simpson
Dale thomas

Any of them could go next year dependant on form and fitness.

Levi is on this list unless he goes now, and if he goes now it will be because we have another lined up to play his role.

We might trade other players whom don't appear above.  Keeping Levi just to have one to get rid of is a poor reason to keep him particularly in a team like ours.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #178
I know what you're getting at but IMHO we have quite a few in the gun for next season but we now start looking at our "rebuild" players.

Pickett
Jack Silvagni
Darcy Lang
Jarrod garlett
David Cunningham
Andrew Phillips
Cameron polson
Matthew kreuzer
Levi casboult
Matthew lobbe
Kade Simpson
Dale thomas

Any of them could go next year dependant on form and fitness.

Levi is on this list unless he goes now, and if he goes now it will be because we have another lined up to play his role.

We might trade other players whom don't appear above.  Keeping Levi just to have one to get rid of is a poor reason to keep him particularly in a team like ours.

Dont think Jack is in the gun for obvious reasons........in fact I think he is probably more safe than others and I'd expect to see him Ben and Tom in the same team one day......at worst Jack would be rookied down the track....

Reply #179
He bloody well should be but isn't for obvious reasons.