Skip to main content
Topic: New dog (Read 23993 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New dog

Reply #45
I see, but I stand by my original point. Not sure I'd like to be referred to as a dog, of whatever breed and for whatever reason. Laidley hated his nickname, and with good reason IMO.

It was a media nickname only; none of his teammates, etc used it.  Brown Dog, on the other hand, seems to be occasionally assigned to folks with the surname Brown.

When I was a young bloke “brown dog” was used in reference to folk who weren’t particular about their sexual partners, ie, “He/she would bonk a brown dog with three legs.”
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #46
It was a media nickname only; none of his teammates, etc used it.  Brown Dog, on the other hand, seems to be occasionally assigned to folks with the surname Brown.

When I was a young bloke “brown dog” was used in reference to folk who weren’t particular about their sexual partners, ie, “He/she would bonk a brown dog with three legs.”

A term I heard used for shaggers of all sorts as in "randier than a brown dog"............inferring that a brown dog would shag anything that moved! I think the inference there on the "brown dog" is that they are associated in the outback with extreme circumstances. Amazing stories of survival, etc., etc..

But I'm sure in VFL / AFL circles it was more likely about being harder/tougher than nails.

What about someone like Snake Jones, as in madder than a cut snake?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
So apart from maybe "harder to kill than a brown dog", which I guess implies a certain indestructibility, all the other "dog" connotations are fairly negative ?

Reply #48
A term I heard used for shaggers of all sorts as in "randier than a brown dog"............inferring that a brown dog would shag anything that moved! I think the inference there on the "brown dog" is that they are associated in the outback with extreme circumstances. Amazing stories of survival, etc., etc..

But I'm sure in VFL / AFL circles it was more likely about being harder/tougher than nails.

What about someone like Snake Jones, as in madder than a cut snake?

I used to know a guy called "Python" Hayes, based on urban legend. I never had visual confirmation myself I hasten to add.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #49
So apart from maybe "harder to kill than a brown dog", which I guess implies a certain indestructibility, all the other "dog" connotations are fairly negative ?

I don't know why.

Dogs are loyal, loving creatures who would genuinely take a bullet for their owners.  Intelligent and loyal.

I have no idea why dogs get such negative connotations.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
I don't know why.

Dogs are loyal, loving creatures who would genuinely take a bullet for their owners.  Intelligent and loyal.

Agree Thry.

Reply #51
I don't know why.

Well said Thry...Humans will let you down more than Dogs.....Dogs are part of the family in our household and not just a novelty furry toy.

Reply #52
I have a dog that I think is a wonderful little mate who currently shares my life, and I pray he can be with me for years to come. Crazy as it may seem, I would prefer his company to a number of humans who I sometimes have the misfortune to have to deal with. I don' t think I would ever use the word "dog" as a derogatory term.

Reply #53
I don't know why.

That’s true Thry ... and I have just enjoyed watching the footy with my two hounds sharing the couch with me (they prefer wildlife documentaries to the footy).

The negative connotations generally relate to conditions imposed by people and/or medical conditions like mange or rabies.

Interestingly, our native Dingo is always referred to as a wild dog by those who have a vested interest in eradicating yet another native species.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54
I used to know a guy called "Python" Hayes, based on urban legend. I never had visual confirmation myself I hasten to add.

There is a reason Hampson was called "Hammer" and it's not related to how hard he went at the football! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
There is a reason Hampson was called "Hammer" and it's not related to how hard he went at the football! ;)

Ball pein?