Skip to main content
Topic: New dog (Read 23997 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New dog

Reply #15
Nix is now almost 14 months old and she has developed into a wonderful companion and very useful worker on our property.

Here she is with my youngest grandson.

Doing her bit to control rabbits.

Relaxing with my daughter's Ridgeback

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Love the country :-*
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #17
 Nice Pics DJ and some happy hounds....Nothing like some cold slate on a hot day, our dogs used to love the downstairs slate at our old home...
We get bunnies were we live and our dog would love to grab a few but we have to hold her back as my wife would freak out with all the dead carcasses :)

Reply #18
Great photos, David. And great dogs... you know I love Ridgy's and Mrs Baggers loves Wolfhounds/Deerhounds. Though it looks like we're picking up our new Dobe soon (our other favourite!).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
I finally convinced Ms DJC that it's better to have two dogs and Casper has joined our family.  He is another rescue dog and is a Staghound like Nix.

Here is Casper on his way home from Warracknabeal:

And playing with Nix:

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
Nice work DJ...taking in two rescue dogs and giving them a home is great stuff, two happy looking staggies....

Reply #21
Nice work DJ...taking in two rescue dogs and giving them a home is great stuff, two happy looking staggies....

Rescue dogs are the way to go EB and the work the foster carers put in is amazing.  I'd have four or five if I could!

I should point out that I have spent the last two days "dog proofing" 80m of stock fence after Nix and Casper decided to visit the two dogs who live at our neighbours' winery.  As Seasick Steve would say, "It's all good!"

Reply #22
Rescue dogs are the way to go EB and the work the foster carers put in is amazing.  I'd have four or five if I could!

I should point out that I have spent the last two days "dog proofing" 80m of stock fence after Nix and Casper decided to visit the two dogs who live at our neighbours' winery.  As Seasick Steve would say, "It's all good!"

DJ, Mrs Elwood wants a rescue dog next time, we like German Shepherds and have had three of them over the years but they dont get along with other doggies
so good unless you raise them as pups together. So when our present old lady goes to the rainbow bridge we will get a older rescue German Shepherd as they
tend to be a breed of dog people dump when they get older and start costing money..Nothing makes Mrs Elwood more upset than dumped dogs especially Sheps.....

Reply #23
DJ, Mrs Elwood wants a rescue dog next time, we like German Shepherds and have had three of them over the years but they dont get along with other doggies
so good unless you raise them as pups together. So when our present old lady goes to the rainbow bridge we will get a older rescue German Shepherd as they
tend to be a breed of dog people dump when they get older and start costing money..Nothing makes Mrs Elwood more upset than dumped dogs especially Sheps.....

Get on to the Pet Rescue site - https://www.petrescue.com.au/ - and start monitoring what dogs come up for adoption.

My nephew has two German Shepherds.  Hank, a beautiful black dog, was traumatised when attacked by a Husky at a dog park but he has very quickly bonded with a younger bitch.

Staghounds are very easy going ... unless you're a rabbit, possum or fox  :)

Reply #24

Two great looking and happy dogs DJC! My dog Solly (the Staffie) was a rescue dog and I have thoroughly enjoyed his company for many years. He is now 13 and so I must make the most of his friendship for what time he may have left. Fortunately he is still healthy and reasonably active.  I'm feeling a bit reluctant about getting another dog after he goes as I would worry about him/her finding a new home if I went and left him/her behind! My step-daughter also has a lovely Staffie so I might have to volunteer to look after her a bit more when the inevitable happens.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #25
Beavis and Butthead get a dog?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #26
I have just booked snake avoidance training for Nix and Casper.

https://www.facebook.com/K9snakeavoidancevic/

It's not cheap but it is cheaper and less stressful than dealing with a snake bitten dog ... and you get to cuddle the snakes after training  :)

Our neighbours' dogs were bitten last summer.  They survived - perhaps they weren't envenomated - but they spent hours at the emergency vet.

It's certainly worth considering if your dogs spend time in snake habitat.

Reply #27
I have just booked snake avoidance training for Nix and Casper.

https://www.facebook.com/K9snakeavoidancevic/

It's not cheap but it is cheaper and less stressful than dealing with a snake bitten dog ... and you get to cuddle the snakes after training  :)

Our neighbours' dogs were bitten last summer.  They survived - perhaps they weren't envenomated - but they spent hours at the emergency vet.

It's certainly worth considering if your dogs spend time in snake habitat.

My dog doesn't go anywhere near Essendon airport.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #28
My dog doesn't go anywhere near Essendon airport.

????

I can think of many similar places, but that could open Pandora’s can of serpents ????

Reply #29
I finally convinced Ms DJC that it's better to have two dogs and Casper has joined our family.  He is another rescue dog and is a Staghound like Nix.

Here is Casper on his way home from Warracknabeal:

And playing with Nix:

Great work,  thats an amazing gesture and good on yeah you both for giving these beauties a warm and loving home.