Skip to main content
Topic: The Next Incarnation Of Our "Engine Room" (Read 15285 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Next Incarnation Of Our "Engine Room"

Reply #15
From what I've heard, Thomas is well respected by the playing group and his approach to training and games is a great example.  However, his all Australian days are well behind him.

If he can stay fit, I expect that he will play as a half forward with an occasional burst in the midfield rotations.  His pace and kicking may have dropped off but he still knows how to get the footy and he uses it pretty well.  Just don't expect too many goals from beyond 30 metres.

I've heard the same.

Realistic summation there, DJC. Like it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
I see him at HBF or BP, doing a job and possibly using his experience to make the right choice coming out of defence.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
I see him at HBF or BP, doing a job and possibly using his experience to make the right choice coming out of defence.

I reckon he'll be a FP or HF.

Still got the smarts and can snag a goal or two. Hopefully his shoulder reco doesn't impair his ability to get his arms above his head.

With a shoulder, rehab is really the key. If he doesn't commit 100% he's finished.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #18
The only thing that bothers me as a forward is that his set shot kicking is awful.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #19
The only thing that bothers me as a forward is that his set shot kicking is awful.

We need someone to create the pressure that Eddie and Jeff used to and I thought he created a bit of energy when there so he could fill that gap to a point. See him as the opportunist now rather than a target as his leap isn't what it was, his shoulder is probably going to limit him and as you say, no hope at a set shot.

I don't think Barker is too upsetv that he's on the sidelines.

Reply #20
When we get the two Irish lads back on the park (hopefully) we'll have an abundance of good, solid running half back types - The two Cierans,   Docherty, Yarran & Tuoy to start with then the likes of Walker & Clem Smith who could play there, or have done in the past.

There's no reason at least a couple of these blokes can't be moved into the midfield engine room to fill whatever need we have there.  Question is who ?

If we think we've got enough extractors (Cripps, Bell) then I'd love to see Yarran get a midfield role.  If he can push himself to get the tank required, he could do some serious damage with his delivery.  Could Zach play midfield ?  Hard as nails, but is still a quality kick.  What about one of the other irish lads, it's probably easier for them to develop & learn the game off half back, but longer term, could they rotate midfield ?  Clem Smith ?

I think there's a good lot options just in this group alone, and most of them seem to have that element of hardness about their game that the best midfielders need.

What do others who've obviously seen a lot more of these guys think ?

cheers

Mal.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #21
We need another very good young mids this draft/trade period as a minimum.

One I rate and did in his draft year is former Murray Bushranger Nick Holman. Great size, good clean hands and now needs some time in the ones.

The absolute jets/classy ball users and movers we need now - Darcy Parish is one and Luke Partington is another for starters out of this year's draft class.

We need talls too, especially of the key forward kind and Schache, McKay and Weideman lead the way here.

I think we can add the 'new wave' of mids/runners to Cripps, Bell and Graham with the likes of Holman and Boekhorst in the mix along with possibly Whiley too. Can those guys become the next batch of AFL footballers will be the key. I'd like a large group of them to come through together.

Still maintain we need more class and skill in the midfield in the 'next wave'. The excitement machines to add to the grunt and experience (Murphy, Gibbs, Carrazzo) would be the next step for me.

Agree , we have a good supply of Blue Collar workers but lack some silk and class...Parish and Partington are good players, the latter  was probably one of  the best
players at the Carnival....like I have said before I also like the taller mid Greg Clark from WA...

Reply #22
Agree , we have a good supply of Blue Collar workers but lack some silk and class...Parish and Partington are good players, the latter  was probably one of  the best
players at the Carnival....like I have said before I also like the taller mid Greg Clark from WA...

I like Greg Clark too Elwood and has also been used a lead-up CHF by WA at the Champs where his nous allows him to do so well. Very good runner and has excellent endurance to go with his size at 193cm.

Reply #23
When we get the two Irish lads back on the park (hopefully) we'll have an abundance of good, solid running half back types - The two Cierans,   Docherty, Yarran & Tuoy to start with then the likes of Walker & Clem Smith who could play there, or have done in the past.

There's no reason at least a couple of these blokes can't be moved into the midfield engine room to fill whatever need we have there.  Question is who ?

If we think we've got enough extractors (Cripps, Bell) then I'd love to see Yarran get a midfield role.  If he can push himself to get the tank required, he could do some serious damage with his delivery.  Could Zach play midfield ?  Hard as nails, but is still a quality kick.  What about one of the other irish lads, it's probably easier for them to develop & learn the game off half back, but longer term, could they rotate midfield ?  Clem Smith ?

I think there's a good lot options just in this group alone, and most of them seem to have that element of hardness about their game that the best midfielders need.

What do others who've obviously seen a lot more of these guys think ?

cheers

Mal.

Malo, I agree with this and have said a number of times Sam Docherty could or should be moved into the midfield at some stage soon. That's the next stage in his development IMO and we could use his leadership, skills, nous and attacking flair in the engine room rotations.

Reply #24
I really believe that Walsh will make it in the next season or so. Hard nut in the Jack, Hanaberry role.

Reply #26
Here's what our midfield brigade looks like right now :

A GRADE
Cripps
Gibbs
Murphy

B GRADE
E. Curnow

C GRADE
Cuningham (potential to be a B)
Kerridge
Boekhorst
Buckley (potential to be a B)
Graham
Thomas

D GRADE
Viojo-Rainbow
Tutt
Whiley
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #27
Here's what our midfield brigade looks like right now :

A GRADE
Cripps
Gibbs
Murphy

B GRADE
E. Curnow

C GRADE
Cuningham (potential to be a B)
Kerridge
Boekhorst
Buckley (potential to be a B)
Graham
Thomas

D GRADE
Viojo-Rainbow
Tutt
Whiley

Curnow is better than Murphy and has been for some time. Buckley is not a midfielder let alone a C grade one.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #28
Curnow is better than Murphy and has been for some time. Buckley is not a midfielder let alone a C grade one.

Woah there MBB.

Murphy is way ahead of Ed and Buckley has shown over the past few weeks that if he is going to become a fully fledged member of our senior team it is going to be as a wingman or high half-forward.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #29
Curnow has had his best year and would be a damn good player if he could be cleaner with his disposal and decision making.  At least he runs both ways and gets the pill, some of mids can't do either.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?