Skip to main content
Topic: For Discussion (Read 30482 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: For Discussion

Reply #45
I was thinking about this today, we finished 18th this year but was that our "real" position? How much of that was where are at and how much of it was "manufactured" (many in the industry refer to it as tanking, just as many will tell you tanking doesn't exist)?

We've been thinking what's our real position since 2002.... I have bad news for you.... It's time for the cfc to accept reality and work on getting better than they actually are rather than improve of where they believe they are

Reply #46
Menzel was injury proned......now someone else's problem
Yarran refused to play with a niggle........now someonelse's problem
Ellard couldn't get on the park........retired.

We have offloaded some injury liabilities.

Good point.

Dale Thomas though. Kreuze played a dozen games in 3 years. Jamo. Walker. Jaksch. Graham, White.

Plenty of injuries left in that lot.

Reply #47
Menzel was injury proned......now someone else's problem
Yarran refused to play with a niggle........now someonelse's problem
Ellard couldn't get on the park........retired.

We have offloaded some injury liabilities.
unfair to Ellard.
Could get on the park, just couldn't get the pill and be damaging with it when he did.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
The Dogs also have Crameri (for the time being anyway) and Dickson who are both handy and strong goal kicking types.

Dickson a classic example of hope though ladies and gents - 28 yo with 50 games under his bely not tall, not fast, not much really - snared 50 goals in 2015.

If he can do that, so could the Bolt, Everitt and several others....

It's all between the ears...or not.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
Dickson a classic example of hope though ladies and gents - 28 yo with 50 games under his bely not tall, not fast, not much really - snared 50 goals in 2015.

If he can do that, so could the Bolt, Everitt and several others....

It's all between the ears...or not.

A lot depends on how we structure.
I've always liked the idea of Everitt as a permanent full forward.
He kicked 31 goals as a 'part timer' last year.
Definitely a 50 goal plus option.

Reply #50
A lot depends on how we structure.
I've always liked the idea of Everitt as a permanent full forward.
He kicked 31 goals as a 'part timer' last year.
Definitely a 50 goal plus option.
I tend to agree with Lods , Everitt as FF would be a good reliable shot at goal, can take a grab. We do need a go to person , some one who we can have confidence in to convert. The amount of times in the last few years where we have taken huge efforts to finally get a shot at goal, only to see it squandered is disheartening & has has effect on on field performance.  

Reply #51
Agree there is nothing special about Dickson except none of our blokes can kick as straight...50 goals 12 behinds for the season......thats about as efficient as it gets.......

Reply #52
Probably important to remember that a number of our boys who are young but have been around for a few years haven't been coached properly, or given a game plan that just plain didn't suit them (or the team, for that matter... yes, that'd be you, MM).

If the Dishlickers taught us anything it's that a 'good ordinary' list properly coached is capable of anything.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #53
Matt Murnane and a few of our players must have read some of the comments posted in this thread  ;)

So much recently has been spoken about the youth that has now flooded the Blues' list and there is a genuine acknowledgement throughout the club and supporters that a "reset" is needed.

There are no quick fixes this time, however that being said, the club still wants to see improvement every year - the graph heading in the right direction.

And so especially in the short term, the men at the top of the "experience" food chain - Gibbs, captain Marc Murphy, Thomas, Kreuzer, Michael Jamison and Andrew Walker and others - will have a vital role to play.

If that group can produce close to career-best football – much like Robert Murphy and Matt Boyd did for the Western Bulldogs this year, for instance – then that could make an immeasurable difference to Brendon Bolton's grand plan.

"For the last few years, we have never had all our senior players out there. Hopefully we have a bit of luck this time," Kreuzer said.
Thomas sees it the same way: "We've got enough blokes in that bracket, but we just haven't had a decent run at it together".  

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/carlton-blues/pain-of-2015-driving-carlton-leader-bryce-gibbs-20151216-glopl9.html#ixzz3uWqFnARY
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54
Matt Murnane and a few of our players must have read some of the comments posted in this thread  ;)

I often think that DJC. Many of the issues raised here (initially as far as I can tell) end up in the media, sometimes nearly word for word with the same examples etc etc.

"You read it her first!" could certainly be claimed by CSC a lot of the time.  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
Re Walker:  I was all ready to concede that pinning any hope on him up forward would be unrealistic. However in his last 4 games last year up forward, where we got smashed in 3, he averaged 2.5  goals per game.

In any man's language, if we as a team can improve, he should be pencilled in for 30 - 40 for the season, if fit and played forward.

Walker been unfortunate to have been played out of position most of his career.

We have three potential 40ish goal forwards in Everitt, Walker and Casboult. That's a good start in anyone's language. If we get a good game plan going and players buy right in and execute that type of forward line will be very handy. We'd get plenty of the midfielder kicking goals too.

Reply #56
Walker been unfortunate to have been played out of position most of his career.

We have three potential 40ish goal forwards in Everitt, Walker and Casboult. That's a good start in anyone's language. If we get a good game plan going and players buy right in and execute that type of forward line will be very handy. We'd get plenty of the midfielder kicking goals too.

Kerridge clearly is capable of kicking bags as a mid/HFF - surely he fits in the 40+ category too.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
Seriously? I like that we've got Kerridge, but just remember he couldn't get a game at Adelaide. If he could kick 40, I'm sure they would have squeezed him in somewhere.

Reply #59
I saw another poster mention Kerridge as an option for captain! ;D
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!